Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Escapist Review Of Halo 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Those game franchises may be available on the consoles but they are much different games than the PC versions. TF2 is out in beta form and is still a better multiplayer game than Halo 3. Battlefield Modern Combat is available on the consoles but is a different game than the PC versions. Hlaf-life is available on the consoles in butchered form, there is no online play and the deathmatch arenas are small terrible maps because they need to only support 4 player split screen. Hl2 is on the xbox but with no multiplayer. The Unreal Tournaments are available on most consoles but again in butchered form. Farcry is on the xbox consoles as farcry instincts, a different game to the PC game and made by a completely different developer. Then there is Deus Ex which got a dreadful console conversion.

Try again next time after you have done some research. When Unreal Tournament 3 and Orange Box are released shortly on the consoles Halo 3 won't get a second look.

Oh really, how about we compare numbers playing Halo 3 to numbers playing TF2+HL2 on consoles 1 month after Orange Box is released?
    You haven't even mentioned the only game that might actually overtake it, CoD4.
    For the record I actually have HL2 etc on the PC (HL2 since the day it came out), and I've probably already played more games of Halo 3 than I have of CS:S etc.
    And no, I never played Halo online before this.
    As for doing my research, what the point when everything obviously sucks when it's on a console :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Retr0 is being accused of snubbing consoles! I think you're being a wee too reactionary there, mcgovern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I have to agree with Yahtzee, i too have little interest in playing an average FPS online with, to borrow a phrase from yahtzee himself, a userbase that can charitably described as lively and uncharitably described as a bunch of hooting dickholes

So i'm only interested in Halo 3 the single player experience and by all accounts it'd be a big load of meh.

Retr0 is being accused of snubbing consoles! I think you're being a wee too reactionary there, mcgovern.

Oh, and I said that where then?

@lordofcheese
    If you choose to play with random Americans, then yes, they can be annoying.
    If you choose to play with people you know or other Irish people, it's a lot better. And there is a thread in the Halo forums of Irish gamertags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I have to agree with Yahtzee, i too have little interest in playing an average FPS online with, to borrow a phrase from yahtzee himself, a userbase that can charitably described as lively and uncharitably described as a bunch of hooting dickholes

So i'm only interested in Halo 3 the single player experience and by all accounts it'd be a big load of meh.

A big load of meh....i like that phrase.

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote:

@lordofcheese
    If you choose to play with random Americans, then yes, they can be annoying.
    If you choose to play with people you know or other Irish people, it's a lot better. And there is a thread in the Halo forums of Irish gamertags.

For claritys sake

I'm not interested in online gaming, with anyone, from anywhere. Ever. And irish people can be just a backward ass retarded as their american brethern.

Therefore, i don't give two tugs of a dead dogs c0ck about Halo3's multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

mcgovern wrote:

Here:
    mcgovern wrote:
    To Retr0: As for doing my research, what the point when everything obviously sucks when it's on a console :rolleyes:

Here:

I guess it depends on your definition of snubbing, but I'm not impying he ignore's consoles, just that he seems to thinks that everything on consoles sucks.
    For claritys sake

I'm not interested in online gaming, with anyone, from anywhere. Ever. And irish people can be just a backward ass retarded as their american brethern.

Therefore, i don't give two tugs of a dead dogs c0ck about Halo3's multiplayer.

Way to prove your own point.

mcgovern wrote:
    Way to prove your own point.

My point was that i agreed with the reviewer because, like him, i don't much care for online mulitplay. So yes, i suppose i made that point rather well, thank you for being so kind as to compliment me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

mcgovern wrote:
    I guess it depends on your definition of snubbing, but I'm not impying he ignore's consoles, just that he seems to thinks that everything on consoles sucks.

You know, you're right, I really am totally biased against console games and am a PC fanboy:

TheShrine.jpg

If anyhting I'm a console fanboy but at least I'm not ignorant to realise that some games PC's just do better like RTS and FPS.

• Advertisement

ooohhh, VSaturn.... shiney

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ooohhh, VSaturn.... shiney

Or as I call it, my baby.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You know, you're right, I really am totally biased against console games and am a PC fanboy:

TheShrine.jpg

If anyhting I'm a console fanboy but at least I'm not ignorant to realise that some games PC's just do better like RTS and FPS.

Ah, I see, I'm ignorant because my opinion is different than yours, and your's is of course right.
    I will give you the fact that up to now, consoles still have not been able to do RTS games near as well as PCs, but I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with you on FPS.
    Otherwise, why would lots of people (myself included) pay an extra €20 to play a game e.g. Bioshock on the 360 when they have a PC perfectly capable of running it? I could hook the PC upto the same TV I play my 360 on, so the big screen is not the reason either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

mcgovern wrote:
    Ah, I see, I'm ignorant because my opinion is different than yours, and your's is of course right.
    I will give you the fact that up to now, consoles still have not been able to do RTS games near as well as PCs, but I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with you on FPS.
    Otherwise, why would lots of people (myself included) pay an extra €20 to play a game e.g. Bioshock on the 360 when they have a PC perfectly capable of running it? I could hook the PC upto the same TV I play my 360 on, so the big screen is not the reason either.
    And the reviewer is wrong because his opinion differs from yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't think he suggested the reviewer is wrong, just that he disagrees with him. Either way, this thread is entirely too serious because Zero Punctuation isn't serious.

This place is turning more and more into GameFAQs by the day. Plenty of super-fanboys and PC snobbery, apparantly if you like a Halo game you couldn't ever have played any PC games and your taste is automatically "bad".

koneko wrote:
    I don't think he suggested the reviewer is wrong, just that he disagrees with him. Either way, this thread is entirely too serious because Zero Punctuation isn't serious.

This place is turning more and more into GameFAQs by the day. Plenty of super-fanboys and PC snobbery, apparantly if you like a Halo game you couldn't ever have played any PC games and your taste is automatically "bad".

Exactly. And my issue with the review was that he didn't even play half the game, he didn't play MP and there is no mention for instance of the meta-campaign.

I wonder what people are going to do when the PS3 releases keyboard and mouse support. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

koneko wrote:
    apparantly if you like a Halo game you couldn't ever have played any PC games and your taste is automatically "bad".

It's more a case of people wondering how Halo can be quoted by many as the greatest game ever, when better games have been available for years before. As I pointed out at the start of the this thread, there was as many people who voted Halo as being 10/10 before it was released, as there were those who voted it 0/10.

mcgovern wrote:
    Exactly. And my issue with the review was that he didn't even play half the game, he didn't play MP and there is no mention for instance of the meta-campaign.

You missed an important part of koneko's post
    koneko wrote:
    because Zero Punctuation isn't serious.

And also, during the video he says that he has no interest in MP, so why should he bother with it?

humanji wrote:
    You missed an important part of koneko's post

And also, during the video he says that he has no interest in MP, so why should he bother with it?

If I got lucky enough to write a review on a Bugatti Veryon, and never drove it faster than 20mph and said it was average, would that be a valid review or would people be right to take issue with it?

It's more a case of people wondering how Halo can be quoted by many as the greatest game ever, when better games have been available for years before. As I pointed out at the start of the this thread, there was as many people who voted Halo as being 10/10 before it was released, as there were those who voted it 0/10.

Exactly. Halo 3 is a very good game but really not deserving of the 10/10 reviews it is receiving or the silly amount of praise it gets from some people who hold it up as the be all and end all of FPS gaming. It does nothing special, there are some serious flaws like the flood levels, the terrible story and a multiplayer that is bettered in many ways by other games. Some people just take a freaker the minute a Halo game is slated. The reviewer here is pointing out some very obvious faults with the game that really can't be ignored by anyone yet there is still a big hullabulloo over somebody who gives his opinion about the game.

mcgovern wrote:
    If I got lucky enough to write a review on a Bugatti Veryon, and never drove it faster than 20mph and said it was average, would that be a valid review or would people be right to take issue with it?

Again, you've missed the point:
    koneko wrote:
    because Zero Punctuation isn't serious.

The guy is hired to create comical reviews of games to entertain people. He even says on the site that he didn't want to review it and that it was due to people pestering him and his editor that he did it. It's a bit of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

mcgovern wrote:
    That has to be one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've read. The Bugatti Veryon only has one facet to it, Halo has 2, the reviewer said he isn't terribly interested in one of them, and didn't find the other particularly interesting, what exactly is wrong with him saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

mcgovern wrote:

If you were writing a review for people who only want to do 20mph in a Veyron, then yes...

humanji wrote:
    Again, you've missed the point:

The guy is hired to create comical reviews of games to entertain people. He even says on the site that he didn't want to review it and that it was due to people pestering him and his editor that he did it. It's a bit of fun!

Yes its a bit of fun, but no its not accurate. That is my point, what one exactly have I missed?
    Blowfish wrote:
    That has to be one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've read. The Bugatti Veryon only has one facet to it, Halo has 2, the reviewer said he isn't terribly interested in one of them, and didn't find the other particularly interesting, what exactly is wrong with him saying that?

Now that is ridiculous. It wouldn't matter what a Veryon looks like once you could get to 200mph in it? Or how long it took to get there, or could you actually sit in the car when driving without having your body turned to mush from vibrations?

I give up, I hope all you people who have never played Halo 3 enjoy staring at a blank screen thinking "haha, glad I'm not like all those fools off enjoying themselves playing Halo 3" while waiting for an actual "great" game to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

why wasn't halo 3 released for PC, I can see why there are exclusives to try and win the console wars but PC's aren't in the war, they're a nuetral third party, not releasing for PC just loses the publisher money, ok you might get one or two people who will go out and buy a 360 to play Halo 3 but the numbers would be very very small compared to the numbers who would buy it to play on the PC.

mcgovern wrote:
    I give up, I hope all you people who have never played Halo 3 enjoy staring at a blank screen thinking "haha, glad I'm not like all those fools off enjoying themselves playing Halo 3" while waiting for an actual "great" game to come out.

Can't i just play something else that i'd be more likely to enjoy, or are my choices now simply "halo3 or to connaught"?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Yeah Damn :( Us Pc Gamers are so jealous of Halo 3...

I mean within the next month we will have to put up with:

Team Fortress 2
    Crysis
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Portal
    Call of Duty 4....

Damn, I wish I could play a "fast paced shooter" like Halo 3 with the precision and accuracy of an analogue stick! AND! listen to 12 year old kids on XBL screaming abuse at me...

Man I feel left out....

Halo is an average console shooter in a world of crappy console shooters... get over it :D

</Halo Rant>

You may no hurl abuse o//

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

still I'd like to be able to choose not to buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

conzymaher wrote:

Team Fortress 2
    Crysis
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Portal
    Call of Duty 4....

Damn, I wish I could play a "fast paced shooter" like Halo 3 with the precision and accuracy of an analogue stick! AND! listen to 12 year old kids on XBL screaming abuse at me...

Man I feel left out....

Halo is an average console shooter in a world of crappy console shooters... get over it :D

</Halo Rant>

As great as all of those games are, you do realise that every single one of them is coming to console too right? (Crysis will probably be cut down admittedly but the others should be virtually identical, even complete with mouse & keyboard controls on PS3 if you're that way inclined, though there's nothing wrong with analogue sticks if a game is good)

The PC superiority argument is silly these days - on the original Xbox you could have argued that Halo was a decent game amongst a sea of mediocrity, but now it's a decent game amongst a sea of absolutely fantastic titles, which makes it's popularity all the more strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

conzymaher wrote:

Team Fortress 2
    Crysis
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Portal
    Call of Duty 4....

Man I feel left out....

</Halo Rant>

Did you enjoy the cod4 beta? Oh wait..it was only on 360, shame that...
    Everything else is on 360, and ps3...and until i play crysis im not convinced it wont be just another average fps with amazing graphics like far cry was back in 04.

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote:
    Yes its a bit of fun, but no its not accurate. That is my point, what one exactly have I missed?

The very point that you just said! It's a bit of fun. It's not meant to be accurate, it's a guy ranting. That's the whole point of it.
    steviec wrote:
    The PC superiority argument is silly these days

Not really. The consoles are capable of a hell of a lot more than they are currently being used for, and until their full abilities are exploited PC's will have a slight advantage.

Advertisement