Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Grand Prix

• 04-10-2007 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭

So who's going to be going to this next week?

This will be my first live PDC TV event and, safe to say, I'm pretty damn excited for it! Hope to head down Monday and Wednesday as I didn't have the foresight to book tickets beforehand, but CityWest have said there'll be loads available on the door anyway.

And sure while we're at it we might as well use this as the thread to discuss the tournament.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Racecaller

You won't be disappointed mate. Been down the last few years and was at it in Rosslare as well. Cracking fun. Monday to Thursday for me are the best days to go. Crowds not too big and the order is a lot better. There's often an atmosphere of drinking and talking with the darts going on in the background on the weekend whereas Mon to Thurs it's drinking to darts. Doing Mon and Wed is a good idea, doing two days on the bounce isn't easy, best to leave a day recovery in between.
    Best games of 1st round have to be:

Lloyd v Priestley
    Mardle v Hamilton
    Barney v VD Voort
    Osbourne v Mason
    Wade v Ovens
    Manley v Dudbridge
    Scholten v Painter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah you can't beat a night at the darts, I'm pretty disappointed that I will miss it this year but you will have a great time. Only advice I will give you is get there early because it's unreserved seats and if you are at the back you won't see a thing. Enjo them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I'm going on Friday with 6 lads from work, have tickets for Sat too, but might be going to Ireland match instead.
    Was there last year at quarter final stage when Manley, " the pie man ", Preistley, Taylor, James Wade were all on stage. Left midway through last game to try get a taxi before the crowd. Went to a pub in Saggart to call one and Priestley came in and was a sound fella.
    I agree with the comments here, need to get there early, and hard to enjoy the darts with loads of drunks there with no respect for players.
    All the same, hard to miss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pieman010

6 of us are heading over from Newcastle next week (Thur and Fri)....when people say get there early...what do you's mean by early !? & while i'm on how does the whole unreserved seating thing work ? will we be all sat together ? cheers

pieman010 wrote:
    6 of us are heading over from Newcastle next week (Thur and Fri)....when people say get there early...what do you's mean by early !? & while i'm on how does the whole unreserved seating thing work ? will we be all sat together ? cheers

mate,

we got there last year ( fri ) and got seats together, but quite far back. thursday should be grand but friday is a bit busier so i'd try get there for 5.
    bring some of your " dotey " lasses with you please!

enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

pieman010 wrote:
    Unreserved seating just means you can sit anywhere.So the earlier you get there the better chance you have of sitting nearer the action and getting seats all together.Thursday mightn't be too bad but it'll packed on Friday.Are yous staying in the city west or in town.If your staying in town leave early cos the traffic does be mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Hard luck to Billy Matthews, had a great start but faded out.

Waddells commentary during the match was nothing short of disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

AndyP wrote:

He is a complete wanker (waddell), and im double glad that his lovely taylor is out as well. When i see him friday night i will tell him too, Come on "WAYNE"

see what i did there i put double in the sentence, wow i am so smart:D

by the way i have two tickets for friday night if anyone is interested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

AndyP wrote:

What was he saying that was so bad as a matter of interest?

Must say I'm glad Taylor is out. Should be a new name on the trophy now, can't see Lloyd winning it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭the tipster

Was gonna head in tommorow night. Would the craic be any good, considering its on a tuesday. Oh ye, Can you pay in at the door? And what time should you head in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Was gonna head in tommorow night. Would the craic be any good, considering its on a tuesday. Oh ye, Can you pay in at the door? And what time should you head in for?

Well it looked fairly good there tonight, atmosphere certainly picked up after the first match or two, and some excellent matches too.
    I'd imagine you'll get tickets there before you go in. Starts at 6, probably want to be there at 5 to get a decent seat.
    Atmosphere probably won't be as good as later on in the weekend but it'd still be a decent night I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Mondays results
    Andy Smith 2-1 Ronnie Baxter
    John Part 2-0 Billy Matthews
    Terry Jenkins 2-1 Wayne Jones
    Wayne Mardle 2-1 Andy Hamilton
    Adrian Gray 2-0 Phil Taylor
    Chris Mason 2-0 Colin Osborne
    Mark Dudbridge 2-1 Peter Manley
    Jason Barry 1-2 Andy Jenkins
    Reports Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

ye, waddell is a right twat and when taylor got beat it must have really sickened him(waddell):D loved the palm trees in the crowd for mardle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭footballcrazy

How much are tickets at the door tonight. And is the drink expensive. ( How much apint of heino?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Isn't it great the way the commentators perve over the players wife's, bloody horndogs, that's what they are!!!!!;) ;);)

Is there anywhere on the net that i could watch monday or tuesdays action from sky sports?

Is there anywhere on the net that i could watch monday or tuesdays action from sky sports?

I think u may be able to watch if u have sky anytime n ur PC. i think you can subscribe to the PDC offical website as well to veiw planet darts tv http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/Home/0,,10180,00.html

Are either of them frre of charge?

i think u have to subscribe on planet darts. As for SKY you have to have a subs to them. Did u try youtube, They may have some clips on there of the last few nights like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcM1J_xBwNo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some results from last night:
    Mark Dudbridge 3-2 Andy Jenkins
    Adrian Gray 3-1 Andy Smith
    Terry Jenkins 3-2 Chris Mason
    John Part 3-0 Wayne Mardle

Report Here

Sounds like there has been some great matches so far, I'm well annoyed that I haven't got to see any of them. Big surprise so far is Taylor losing in the first round. I wonder if his current form stays the same will he think about retiring? I'm not a big fan of him buy I certainly don't want to see him retire. It's great to see Mark Dudbridge back on form again. I think John Part has a huge chance of winning the tournament, he is very strong on his doubles and seems to be in good form.

Keep me updated on everything that is happening lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

think jenkins will be strong too, though - he was second best to mason for a long time last night but he still managed to come through and he'll get better as the matches get longer...

it was a great match actually - always seems to be a bit of drama when mason's around :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Second Round - Thursday
    James Wade 3-1 Alex Roy
    Colin Lloyd 3-0 Alan Tabern
    Raymond van Barneveld 3-0 Mervyn King
    Adrian Lewis 3-1 Roland Scholten
    Reports Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Adi Lewis was in great form last night............he came out with a Leprechaun Hat and Orange beard to his walk on music..........really got the crowd going........but was lucky as his 1st set was bad.........but he got his rythm going and was in great form from there on........rarely missing his 1st 3 darts to start a leg.
    Best finish of the tournament when he finished 125 (Bull, 25, Bull) was a cracker.........the crowd went absolutely bananas.

If he plays to his potential he will give barney a go.

Was disappointed with Merv King..........during his walk on he didn't even shake a hand.........and also what is the story with the "earplugs".......surely your balance would be all over the place if not used to wearing these things???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

I remember Barney talking about the ear plugs before, maybe during the Premier League. He tried them and wasn't doing well with them, so took them out. He said that the coach that he was working with had recommended them and that they had worked well in practice. He said that he was going to try them again.

The crowd looked a bit boisterous last night, heard reports that there was a bit of a row during the Lewis match.

On the darts side, I think Lloyd looked really steady and its a pity that side of the draw is so tough, would like to see him do well. On form, I think Lewis looks favourite to get to the final, even past Barney. Still available at 9/1, but can be unpredictable.

Quarter Final Results:
    James Wade 4-0 Colin Lloyd
    John Part 4-2 Adrian Gray
    Ray Barneveld 4-3 Adrian Lewis
    Terry Jenkins 4-1 Mark Dudbridge

Sounds like the Barney and Lewis match was a cracker. Lewis is now finally showing the obvious potential that he has and is focusing on the darts. I think he will win a major soon enough. Very surprised that Lloyd was beaten so easily. Good wins for Jenkins and Part too, I still tip John Part to win the tournament and he is up against Jenkins in the next round.

The Lewis Barney match was one of the best games I've ever seen. Great atmosphere last night, crowd was electric. As usual there were some real foos there though, saw three rows throughout the night.
    The security don't really help either, they look like they're hoping for something to kick off.
    Have no tix for tonight, but if I can get a babysitter might try to get some at Citywest ( they were sell some last night ) cos it was f*cking brilliant last night.
    I fancy Wade to win.;)

james Wade takes the title with a 6-3 final win over Terry Jenkins to claim his second major title in a row. Jenkins has now lost in the final of 5 majors in the last 12 months, he must be feeling the pressure going into these finals because of all his previous loses.

Some people said that Wade was a bit lucky in Blackpool because he didn't have to beat Taylor or Barney in that tournament but he destroyed Barney 5-1 in the semi in this tournament and deserves his title.

By the way John Part was complaining that the crowd were on his back on Saturday night and he was surprised because he counts Ireland as a home venue with the Irish on his side. Anyone who watched the match want to tell me how badly the crowd were against him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Was in citywest on Sat night............had a brill night. Just on that John Part issue........was cheering him on meself but there defo more Jenkins fans.......which was very suprising.............I think that the neutrals sort of went with Jenkins when he was coming back from 3-0 down aswell.............sure even last night the crowd was like 90% jenkins fans.

Fair play to Wade.......was consistent through out the whole tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 chipster

Jenkins was in Ireland for well over a week before the tournament started. He did an exhibition for a cancer charity the thursday before the grand prix started and a lot of borough league players were there. He was sound. Maybe he gained support from the likes of that. Maybe not, just a guess.

Advertisement