Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who would you consider more dangerous on the road?

Options
  • 04-10-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just thought Id throw out something that came into my mind last night. Im not looking for any high-horse (low-sewer :D) answers!

Person A has only ever had 6 points on their licence but has only ever driven 5000Km in their lifetime.

Person B also has only ever gotten 6 points on their licence, but has accumulated over 150,000Km in their lifetime.

My own thoughts were that the person A (with less milage) is more so, simply because if you multiply the points vs Km ratio, theirs is a lot worse.

Now this falls back to the point of, the more you drive the higher chance of you being caught for breaking the law (Assumptions here are that most drivers break the law at some point, eg: going through an amber light, speeding while overtaking, talking on their phone in the car, etc).

EDIT: Both drivers currently have the 6 points on their licence and have both been driving the same amount of time.

Any thoughts on this at all are very welcome! :)

Who would you consider more dangerous on the road? 20 votes

Person A
    0% 0 votes
    Person B
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

antodeco wrote:
    Hi All,
    Just thought Id throw out something that came into my mind last night. Im not looking for any high-horse (low-sewer :D) answers!

Person A has only ever had 6 points on their licence but has only ever driven 5000Km in their lifetime.

Person B also has only ever gotten 6 points on their licence, but has accumulated over 150,000Km in their lifetime.

My own thoughts were that the person A (with less milage) is more so, simply because if you multiply the points vs Km ratio, theirs is a lot worse.

Now this falls back to the point of, the more you drive the higher chance of you being caught for breaking the law (Assumptions here are that most drivers break the law at some point, eg: going through an amber light, speeding while overtaking, talking on their phone in the car, etc).

Any thoughts on this at all are very welcome! :)

:confused:

Why would anyone choose "b"?

Are you trying to make some point/have a bet with someone. Seems a pretty pointless question/poll to me...

EDIT: If you meant to say driver "a" has only 2 points and driver "b" has 6 points, your poll would make more sense

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nope not trying to prove a point or anything. My thinking behind it is that no people see you having X amount of points, meaning that you are possibly a dangerous driver. Not all circumstances are considered. As I said, it just came into my head last night. I know people will come back and say that both people are equally as bad, as if you have 6 points, you have 6 points (see point above).

What you have to consider is, when did person b receive their 6 points. They could have received them in their first 5,000 kms...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Person A may have had a faulty taillight, and maybe 5 miles over the speed limit once or twice.

Person B may have gotten all 6 points at once for driving without due care, and nearly caused an accident that would have killed people.

The amount of points and how far they've driven means nothing. It's how they got them that merits any interest.

the_syco wrote:
    Person A may have had a faulty taillight, and maybe 5 miles over the speed limit once or twice.

Person B may have gotten all 6 points at once for driving without due care, and nearly caused an accident that would have killed people.

The amount of points and how far they've driven means nothing. It's how they got them that merits any interest.

That's what I was thinking with my previous post. Once you have your points, you have them (for whatever reason). Thats why I think the points system is fairly unfair. Person does 140KPH in a 100KPH zone = 2 points. Someone turns right on dame street (People who dont know, right turn only for taxis and buses, basically a bus lane) = 2 points. Very different reasons for points, but both receive the same "tarring of the brush"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

antodeco wrote:
    Assumptions here are that most drivers break the law at some point, eg: going through an amber light...

People who don't know the ROTR. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's insufficient detail in the question to made a judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Assumptions here are that most drivers break the law at some point, eg: going through an amber light...

Green means go, amber means go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Just throwing this out.... Reasons for points?!

Also, Person B, what if they accumulated the points over 400kmls from driving on a priv or full, learned their lesson or become better at driving, and then continued on for that 145kishmls with not a single problem and into the future...

What if person B, has killed 25 people, in hit and runs in the space of those mls, only to be given a few points for mirrors...

Sorry but I feel the poll is a little strange given the sparse details, but I certainly understand the idea of repeatable offences over time versus offenses done over a very short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Check Rules of the Road for "Safe Stopping Vs Passing through an Amber light" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Green means go, amber means go faster.

Red means at least 4 of us can get through before the other lights go green :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Points dont stay on your licence forever, 3-4 years AFAIR. Assuming the points are gathered fairly evenly over the period, person A is either extremely unlucky/silly or bad to get 6 points in space of 3 to 4 months for the average driver. (This point of view may change when they bring in clampers with cameras)
    Driver B in average driving period of 7 to 10 years got 6 points so at most would have only 3 on licence, possibly even down to 0.
    Insurance companies usually only consider your driving history for the past 3 to 5 years. In the UK most consider your first speeding points as par for the course and rarely penalise you. Its when you get more, then they realise you didnt learn your lesson first time, and start upping your premium.
    In insurance terms, A would be far higher than B in terms of risk.
    Is there such a thing as points for mirrors - due care and attention perhaps. If you killed 25 people in hit and runs, I think a lifetime ban and life in prison would be more likely. Farce doesnt illustrate points.
    People break rules whether they know them or not, attitude is what makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

I saw a person in the traffic the other night that I would consider the most dangerous of all. It was a "foreign national" looking person with an upside down L plate on a left hand drive car, on her mobile. Is there worse out there???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Who would you rather hop on a Ryanair flight with?

A pilot with 500 hours in the air or a pilot with 5,000? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

MarkN wrote:

The one with the best landing stats !! :D

on topic: stupid poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The poll is a trick question!

Possible correct answers:

1: Anyone who thinks they know the answer & votes in the poll.

or

2: Anyone who thinks they are 'above average' in driving ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's also the issue of how far these people will be driving. Twice as dangerous x half the driving = the same chance of an accident, doesn't it?;)

MarkN wrote:

Is that relevant? Do drivers have the same training worldwide? Are they governed by the same laws worldwide? Some drivers have no training whatsoever. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

MarkN wrote:

The answer to this could well be the guy with 500, as he's still happy to work through all the checklists and fly according to the book. Or it could be the other guy. Either way, it's a silly thread, and a sillier poll.

Ned it's the experience that I was aiming for!!

Slow coach - yep, I think so. It's the exact same idea.

I think you two boys are taking the whole pilot comparison a bit too seriously/in depth. ;)

MarkN wrote:
    Slow coach - yep, I think so. It's the exact same idea.

Surely you're joking? There's no requirement to have any training before you get on the road, and instructors needn't be trained or registered either. But I'm sure other countries are all the same, too. Not.

Experience? Pah. Ever hear of the saying, "Practice makes perfect"? Well it's wrong. The saying is, "Practice makes permanent." Do something wrong a thousand times and it becomes ingrained. All the experience in the world won't make up for bad driving.

• Advertisement

Slow coach wrote:
    Experience? Pah. Ever hear of the saying, "Practice makes perfect"? Well it's wrong. The saying is, "Practice makes permanent." Do something wrong a thousand times and it becomes ingrained. All the experience in the world won't make up for bad driving.

Very true. Surely this would then make Person B more dangerous, as they have a lesser chance of resolving bad faults as a driver with less experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 annmarie124

both drivers are as bad as each other. the aim of the points system is for all drivers to exercise more care.

both drivers are as bad as each other. the aim of the points system is for all drivers to exercise more care.

If person A got stopped 3 times for a defective breaklight, incurring 6 points and person b got caught speeding all 3 times (excessivley), would they still be both as bad as each other? Im not trying to nitpic! Its just kinda weird how our points system works. Insurance companes ask how many points you have, but it doesnt include for what offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Yep SlowC, agree, pilot/driver its a poor comparison. Training/working as a pilot is intensive and highy regulated. You dont fly a 747 without the relevent experience. Driving in Ireland you fill in a form, more recently fill in a few multiple choices, pay your money and survive your way to a full licence if you feel like doing a test. Dont even need a licence to drive for a living, probably the only developed nation in the world where this is the case.
    Slow coach wrote:
    "Practice makes permanent."
    probably the main reason for the ridiculous failure rates here. Driving on a prov for years without proper training/supervision compounds bad habits and bad attitude.
    Good practice makes perfect.
    Points on a licence are like scratches on a car, to be avoided but a few are inevitable if you drive around long enough. Likewise a new car/driver with lots of scratches/points is also to be avoided.

Jaysus lads will ya get over the pilot comparison. Who the fook said flying a plane was the same as driving a car? What I DID say was who would you rather fly with, an experienced pilot or a not so experience pilot! The same applies to a driver, if they've knocked up the KMS then obviously they will be more experienced than someone with 5k under their belt. I think this thread should be locked and we should all be banned for replying to it!!!

MarkN wrote:
    Jaysus lads will ya get over the pilot comparison.

Who the fúck brought it up?
    MarkN wrote:
    I think this thread should be locked and we should all be banned for replying to it!!!

For once we are in agreement.

Slow coach wrote:
    Who the fúck brought it up?
    Eh SC nobody asked you to take the point so literally. You should know better than to post the type of childish reply in the first part of your last post in fairness.

MarkN wrote:
    Eh SC nobody asked you to take the point so literally. You should know better than to post the type of childish reply in the first part of your last post in fairness.

Why is that? Use of the word 'fúck'? Would 'fook' be better? :rolleyes:

Your original assertion was that an experienced car driver is better than an inexperienced driver in the same way that an experienced pilot is better than an inexperienced pilot. Am I correct in my interpretation of your original assertion?

If I am then you are wrong; there is no comparison. Pilots are on the end of extensive and ongoing training. They have annual air medicals. They get better with more experience. Drivers may have NO training and certainly have NO ongoing training, unless they pursue it themselves. There are few medical considerations to getting behind the wheel. Drivers simply get better/more experienced at what they are doing, which may be shíte, or may not be shíte. They don't get better as a body, that's a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can't see this going anywhere interesting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement