Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking About Getting A Wii

Options
  • 04-10-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently thinking about getting a Wii before the mad Xmas rush. I already have a 360 and love it. I cant believe that I do, as I bought the 360 on release day as a 6 month stop gap until the PS3 was released. Now, if I had no 360 and the PS3 and 360 were the same price, I would buy the 360 without a seconds thought. I'm sure the PS3 will sort out its games in the next 12-18 months and I might get one then

Anyway, thats off point. My question is, in peoples opinions, is the Wii worth it ? Whats the online gaming like compared to Xbox Live ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Well, online gaming is nearly non-existant on the Wii. It's great to play with people though, but they generally have to be in the same room :) I'm sure there will be more games that are online capable but it's just not the console to buy if you're into online gaming (you already have a 360 so you're sorted for online play really).

Do you like Nintendo games? Like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc? If so, then yes I'd definitely recommend getting a Wii, there are a few games worth getting at the moment and more on the way (not long until Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 are out!)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Thanks for the feedback. I thought that all games would be playable online. Emmmm. The main reason I was thinking about a Wii was for playing with friends online as I wouldb't be into playing those types of games on my own.... Food for thought

What type of games? I can understand not wanting to play Wii Sports on your own, but they're not all party games. Some of the best games on the console at the moment are Zelda:Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4 Wii, Super Paper Mario, Trauma Center, Godfather, they're all (primarily) single player games. Super Mario Galaxy looks like it'll be great too (and singleplayer).

Just not a big fan of cartoony games to play on my own. Prefer FPS and driving sims. Also like some sport sims like smackdown vs raw and Fight Night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wrestling isn't a sport, it's entertainment :D

• Advertisement

Or neither :p
    If you'd rather play smackdown vs raw than RE4 or Zelda, you're a lost cause ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Doesn't sound like a Wii is for you tbh. It's online play is severly lacking at the moment, and the FPS, driving and sports sim experiences are all better on the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'd say stick with the 360.
    You'll be missing out on fantastic slices of gaming history like Zelda, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, but it doesn't sound like they would appeal to you anyway...

I haven't played Zelda or any other Nintendo game in years.

I have owned a NES, SNES, and gameboy. Was and am a massive SNES fan, but just havent played cartoony games in so long. Maybe I will give it a go.

Yeah, I know WWE isnt sport. Just thought I'd see if I got a reaction !!!

Go for it then. You owe it to the true gamer within you, a part of him dies every time you play a wrestling game...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You shouldn't let cartoony looks put you off any game. A great game will be great no matter how it looks. I'd take zelda or super mario world over any (supposedly) mature game like GTA.

Where would be the best place to buy one ? Do you get vouchers in gamestop ?

Smyths are often best as they'll do bundle deals and give you some vouchers (€5 off when you spend x, same as the Gamestop ones I believe). Haven't checked which stores have the best offers but there might be some recent useful threads on the Nintendo board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

to be honest im heading the oppsite way of you bought my wii in feb when stores got more stock in but generally got bored of it. decided to put it on ebay last week so hope to buy a 360/ps3 still undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Oh, the not so subtle plug... smooth :p

However, I'm in a pretty similar situation as j0e. I bought my Wii with Red Steel. Regretted it after 10 minutes of playing the game. Went back and bought Zelda, played it to death. Now the console just sits in my sitting room unused.

I did download Bomberman and had a few classic multiplayer games with old Gamecube controllers but that didnt last long.

The fact is, the Wii just doesnt work without a decent amount of people to use it or a really stellar game. Speaking of, I might pick up Resident Evil 4 soonish ;)

But honestly, as much as I hate to say it, I kinda wish I bought an XBox 360 instead :(

/cry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If you're a fan of anything nintendo it's worth it. Super Mario Galaxy alone looks like it'll be reason enough to splash da ca$h for a wii but if ye're not a fan of mario then that's not gonna matter.

I bought it on Sat.

Here is what I think

A Wii is like a puppy. Very cute and lovable for a while, but then it just grows away from you.

A 360 is like a fully grown dog. Not a cute at first, but lasts much longer.

I'm bored of Wii sports and Mario Soccer game challenge thing already. Must say, I think the 360 is the way forward

I have owned Atrai 2600, Sega Master System, NES, SNES, N64, PS, PS2, 360, Wii, so you can see I have no loyalty to a particular manufacturer.

thegoth wrote:
    I'm bored of Wii sports and Mario Soccer game challenge thing already. Must say, I think the 360 is the way forward
    Did you buy Zelda and Resi 4 like I said?
    The Wii is going to come into its own in recent months, but for now it's a decent second console if you've already got a 360...

Totally agree tman. I am going to give it a chance. Will get a few games for Xams

Was thinking of
    Super Mario Galaxy and Resi 4. Which Zelda game would you recommend ? Might give that a go too.

I need to spend alot more time to get to grips with Wii sports tennis. Must say that I enjoy the golf game even though I never liked golf games before. Surprisily, I'm not that fond of the boxing game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd wait until after christmas before buying a Wii. Every console goes through a period of no decent games for about a year after release. The PS3 has nothing of note but the big games are around the corner and the Xbox 360 was no different a year ago. The Wii is just about to get it's big games with Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart just around the corner. I'd say the big AAA games will start arriving before christmas. If you remember the DS it also took a full year for developers to get used to the new control scheme and the good games started arriving. Now it's by far the best console on the market.

• Advertisement

thegoth wrote:
    Super Mario Galaxy and Resi 4. Which Zelda game would you recommend ? Might give that a go too.
    "The Twilight Princess" is the most recent one, and is a damn fine game to boot (by far the best console launch title that I've ever played in fact)
    If you're still looking for some more Zelda action after that, you could always grab a copy of the gamecube title, wind waker. (must dust that one of myself now actually...)

Must download wonderboy and starfox 64 as well. Never got to play starfox. Starwing could well be my favourite game of all time, so dying to play it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

tman wrote:
    "The Twilight Princess" is the most recent one, and is a damn fine game to boot (by far the best console launch title that I've ever played in fact)
    If you're still looking for some more Zelda action after that, you could always grab a copy of the gamecube title, wind waker. (must dust that one of myself now actually...)

Definitely check out the Wind Waker. Brilliant game and I found it to be far superior to the Twilight Princess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

are there many rpgs released/going to be released for the wii? I know that Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk is being released but so far its only been confirmed for japan there is no europe or us dates :(

There's fire emblem and we all know fire emblem is brilliant. There's also a remake of the GC game FF Crystal Chronicles. The GC game was awful until you got 2 or more people together and it was brilliant fun. The new one will be on-line so should be a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BernardBlack

From what little info they've released about it, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers looks like it will be a new single-player focused game rather than remake.

There's a trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl_Ej2fU42M

They announced another FF: CC title this week. But it seems to be more of a strategy game than an RPG. It's going to be available as a download from the upcoming WiiWare service.

Advertisement