Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Banks

Options
  • 04-10-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

thinking of changing from Ulster Bank..interested in taking out a loan...which is the strongest bank to be with at the mo....TSB?? Halifax?/ any help would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'm also thinking of switching - the bank I've been with for several years back don't seem very efficient.

I'm put off by the way certain banks advertise themselves - do I want to keep my money with a firm that uses a Mafia man in its advertising? Hmmm? Do I want to keep my money with a firm that has clever-clever flippin' ads?

No. I want a bank staffed by courteous adult professionals, where if I'm doing a private transaction like setting up direct debits or mortgages, I'm brought into a private room.

It would be good if the officials were personally hygienic and had good manners - introducing themselves by their full name would be a nice start.

It would be nice if the machinery in the bank worked properly; if the officials could call other branches directly rather than hanging on eternally as their customers must. It would be great if the officials actually understood how their internal system worked.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

my local pTSB has all that, I just switched from BOI to them and never been happier

Where's your local, torresistheman? I was in a city centre pTSB last week, and was doing my business in public while a big angry queue built up behind me.

The first official I talked to was astonished when I introduced myself and shook hands, and didn't respond with a name - when I asked for one, it was given - but only the forename - with a stare.

Halfway through the transaction another official came up and asked - ignoring me - whether the official would like the transaction taken over, as it was now lunch-break time.

Without consulting me, the official gratefully agreed, and the two had a conversation about my transaction, then the second offical sat down - again, no introduction - and proceeded with the transaction.

It was so rude, so graceless.

Five days later I discovered that the transaction had not been processed fully, and changed branches; I may change banks entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

watsgone wrote: »
    my local pTSB has all that, I just switched from BOI to them and never been happier

I had a mare trying to switch to PTSB Swords. There lovely people but lousy bankers. Lost my documents twice and cost me around €80 in missed direct debits.

Switched to Ulster Bank in the end with no issues. I don't think moving bank will get you better loan rates (in most cases), if thats what you after.

Ulster Bank's Union Jack symbol would stick in my craw: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Ulster_bank_2005.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

luckat wrote: »
    Ulster Bank's Union Jack symbol would stick in my craw: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Ulster_bank_2005.PNG

???? :confused:

I'm also thinking of switching - the bank I've been with for several years back don't seem very efficient.

I'm put off by the way certain banks advertise themselves - do I want to keep my money with a firm that uses a Mafia man in its advertising? Hmmm? Do I want to keep my money with a firm that has clever-clever flippin' ads?

No. I want a bank staffed by courteous adult professionals, where if I'm doing a private transaction like setting up direct debits or mortgages, I'm brought into a private room.

It would be good if the officials were personally hygienic and had good manners - introducing themselves by their full name would be a nice start.

It would be nice if the machinery in the bank worked properly; if the officials could call other branches directly rather than hanging on eternally as their customers must. It would be great if the officials actually understood how their internal system worked.

Any suggestions?

OK, why don't you simply ask when you go into your bank to go somewhere more private to do your banking. They will do it? Its part of all banks customer service....?

As for Cleanliness, totally. Dont agree with the full name thing. There trying to be friendly but if you've an issue with someone then get there full name, otherwise thats a bit petty.

Banks machines working ok....yeah. Nothing worse than the pin/atm machines are busted.

"if the officials could call other branches directly rather than hanging on eternally as their customers must.". What you mean by that?

"It would be great if the officials actually understood how their internal system worked". Well you do need them to know there job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Not a chance I'd give my full name to every randomer who walked into the branch. (i dont work in a branch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Good god you scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Eh, yeah. Even if it *was* designed as that, it's completely irrelevant to this forum, so check any hangups you may have at the door, please.

TBH I think your expectations are a little bit unrealistic on some points and you will have to manage them somewhat, or you'll never be happy with a bank.

If you want the kind of service you are speaking about, day in, day out then become a millionaire or greater, and sign up for Private Banking :)

• Advertisement

I'm not any randomer; I'd been banking with that branch since 1977. And there is no reason that knowing the full name of the person you're dealing with should be kept for times when you have problems. I'm a customer, you're representing the bank; it should be perfectly normal that you know and use my name, and I know and use yours.

My hangups are mine, and I'll keep them with me; it's a personal thing. Anyone else is welcome to bank with Ulster Bank, but it would, as I said, stick in my craw.

I did ask about a more private place and was told the bank didn't have room. Nonsense, frankly.

The phone business - there's no internal phone system for the bank to phone from branch to branch. They have to ring in on the same line as their customers suffer, and wait while they're helpfully told for half or three-quarters of an hour that they can go to Open24 if they need to, etc, etc.

Knowing the bank's internal system - believe me, it's unusual to find someone who knows how to check how far a transaction has gone through the system.

BuffyBot reckons that only millionaires are entitled to courtesy....?

Where, exactly, did I say that?

BuffyBot wrote: »
    If you want the kind of service you are speaking about, day in, day out then become a millionaire or greater, and sign up for Private Banking :)

There, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Eh, yeah. Even if it *was* designed as that, it's completely irrelevant to this forum, so check any hangups you may have at the door, please.

TBH I think your expectations are a little bit unrealistic on some points and you will have to manage them somewhat, or you'll never be happy with a bank.

I don't know if it's irrelevant - if he sees 4 arrows as a union jack :confused: and wants bank staff to be hairy fainne-wearing shinners it just demonstrates that some peoples' criteria for choosing a bank are different to others.

There, yes?

Nope :)

That has very little to do with courtesy, which can be found everywhere - even in your normal bank branches for people lodging a tenner to taking out a mortgage :). Of course, everyone has bad examples, but lets face everyone can pull bad examples out of any situation.

However, the kind of treatment you are looking for doesn't really happen, and I doubt it will. Bank branches are like the supermarkets of the financial world. If they had to have private rooms for everyone to do transactions in, and spend the kind of time on things you seem to be looking for, very little would ever get done and they would cost a LOT more, and people already complain about high charges. Maybe some bank here, like HSBC do in the UK, will offer a "premier" service that you can opt into where you get some preferential treatment and facilities - but of course, it costs more.

Most people seem to manage just fine with how banks are structured at the moment. I don't see the way branches operate in any of the main banks changing all that much anytime soon.

Depends on the transaction, BuffyBot. Standard transactions - taking money out, putting money in, doing small foreign exchange transactions and the like - yes, fine to do it at the counter.

But when you're opening and closing bank accounts, and the discussion is going to include your name, address, personal details, etc, there should be privacy.

Anyway, enough discussion; I've changed branches and may change banks, because my bank didn't give satisfactory service and show normal good manners.

If you're happy with an inferior service, I'm delighted for you.

Luckat,

There is so much wrong with your attidude I don't know where to begin.

I do agree with some of what you say. There is rooms to go into to and talk. It could have been a case where there was someone already in the room, hence the 'no room' answer. I dont know of any bank that conducts mortgages at the counter in anything more than basic information gathering.

Its very hard for a any bank to just have someone walk in off the street with no appointment and expect to get a private room to do there banking!!

Privacy in banking halls is a major issue. But there are things that can be done. Online banking, fastlodge etc.

As for the phone systems, no bank has a internal phone system just for employees to use. I think I know why you where waiting on someone to phone for you. 80% of UB branches have a call handling unit to take calls so waiting for 3/4 of an hour is very strange.

Its impossible for a bank staff to remember everyone to a point where 1st names are used from the moment the person comes to the counter. They have name badges....customers don't? When they get your deatails its part of UB policy to use your name. Most bank dept staff will not give out there full name for security reasons either. In a time of Tiger Kidnappings no-one will bend the rules to satisfy you!

Lastly, most front counter staff are 1 person away from answering 99% of customer queries. If they don't ask they'll never learn and that will lead to the next person getting the same treatment.

I'd say the bank staff love seeing you come through the doors. As pointed out Banks really are like supermarkets, get in do you thing and get out. I bet your the 1st person to complain theres a queue....then you get to the counter and cause one!

As for the UB Logo.....you should move to BOI or something. ;)

If you had a problem with the service why did you not complain.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm not any randomer; I'd been banking with that branch since 1977. And there is no reason that knowing the full name of the person you're dealing with should be kept for times when you have problems. I'm a customer, you're representing the bank; it should be perfectly normal that you know and use my name, and I know and use yours.

My hangups are mine, and I'll keep them with me; it's a personal thing. Anyone else is welcome to bank with Ulster Bank, but it would, as I said, stick in my craw.

I did ask about a more private place and was told the bank didn't have room. Nonsense, frankly.

The phone business - there's no internal phone system for the bank to phone from branch to branch. They have to ring in on the same line as their customers suffer, and wait while they're helpfully told for half or three-quarters of an hour that they can go to Open24 if they need to, etc, etc.

Knowing the bank's internal system - believe me, it's unusual to find someone who knows how to check how far a transaction has gone through the system.

I suggest moving down the country to a quite rural town if you want the sort of service you are looking for. Maybe a Halifax down the country :D

For the love of god, if every customer expected the kind of service you expected the queue would be snaking half way down O'Connell St and bankers like me would never get any work done / get home. Banking has changed since 1977. People simply dont have the time or patience to be waiting round in banks. There are less staff in banks nowadays and more customers. Customers don't want to pay for stuff either. Reality is, unless you're a millionaire, you're going to have to slum it with the common folk. Of course, you are entitled to common courtsey but if someone came up to me in customer service and first shook my hand and then asked me my full name before I even done anything, I'd think they were slightly mad.

Never a truer word spoken....Country folk think they own the bank....

Hmm, as this thread doesn't look like it'll go on topic anytime soon and the OP hasn't come back to join in, I'm going to lock it. OP, send me a PM if you've any queries

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement