Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320i coupe - thinking of buying

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kdevitt wrote:
    Performance is very impressive from them imo, this 335d would edge past my M3 in a sprint...

Maybe in an overtakeing sprint (say 80-120km/h), but surely not from a standing start (0-100km/h)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

kdevitt wrote:
    Performance is very impressive from them imo, this 335d would edge past my M3 in a sprint...

K, I reckon your E46 M3 would have the upper hand, other than, say a 40 - 80mph blast in fifth or something. Just found an article about you in a BMW car mag in my drawer from a few years back with your old E36. Nice motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Andrewf20 wrote:
    K, I reckon your E46 M3 would have the upper hand, other than, say a 40 - 80mph blast in fifth or something. Just found an article about you in a BMW car mag in my drawer from a few years back with your old E36. Nice motor.

Well the E46 M3 has 343 bhp, and it has the dual advantages of less weight and a manual gearbox, so if you chose the correct gears, then the E46 would definately be faster than the 335d. I'd suspect that you'd need to drop a few cogs from time to time in order to keep up with the diesel for some of the in gear sprints though!

The E46 M3 would have less real world power than the 335d(much less torque), but give it the beans and it would easily outstrip a 335d.

As for the original E36 M3, the 335d has exactly the same amount of power as it(noth have 286 bhp), so even though it is lighter again than the E46 never mind the E92, I'd say that outside of a 0-100 sprint, the 335d is faster than the original E36 M3, because it has something like twice the torque AFAIR, and no amount of twisting the laws of physics can deny that if 2 engines both with identical bhp ratings but one has far more torque than the other; then the one with the extra torque will be a far more flexible engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Andrewf20 wrote:

Nope...that 335d has a remap and over 350BHP... timed at 4.8 secs 0-60... its quicker than my M3, but only just!

Still have that article myself...and the car, my oul lad drives it now. Kills me every time I see the magazine - had been waiting two months for Eibach springs and it looks like a 4x4 in the photos:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

OP - Frank Keane's have a 320Ci M-Sport Demo at the moment which will be due for sale shotly. Black with Red Leather interior (looks sweet) and the upgraded wheels (I think).

Might be worth a look - if you are going in talk to Dan Steen, it's his demo car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kdevitt wrote:
    Nope...that 335d has a remap and over 350BHP

Ah! In fairness, you did post "this 335d"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The engine in the 335d is good for(at least)370 bhp, just look at this 535d. Different car, same engine as the 335d though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

R.O.R wrote:
    OP - Frank Keane's have a 320Ci M-Sport Demo at the moment which will be due for sale shotly. Black with Red Leather interior (looks sweet) and the upgraded wheels (I think).

Might be worth a look - if you are going in talk to Dan Steen, it's his demo car.

Sweet thanks ill check it out!

Advertisement