Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold

Options
  • 04-10-2007 12:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

What are the most effective ways to generate large amounts of gold in the game(outside of great trading on AH)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

if your level 70 the daily repeatables are fairly decent. 100+g in about an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i try to control the netherweave trade on AH, buy low tailor something disenchant, sell enchants shards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Nothing compares to the daily quests, especially the Netherwing ones, although you'll need 300 riding skill to be able to do them.

sell twink items

and skinning makes me a lot of gold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Clever use of the Auction house, buying and selling at the right times and right prices can make you tons of money. But this requires a good amount of knowledge of the items in question and the use of the Auctioneer (or similar) addon.

Alternatively, grinding always generates money ;)
    Just find something that people want, kill lots of stuff that drop it, sell and repeat.

Mind numbing, yes. Effective, hell yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Ivan wrote:
    Clever use of the Auction house, buying and selling at the right times and right prices can make you tons of money. But this requires a good amount of knowledge of the items in question and the use of the Auctioneer (or similar) addon.

Alternatively, grinding always generates money ;)
    Just find something that people want, kill lots of stuff that drop it, sell and repeat.

Mind numbing, yes. Effective, hell yes.

He speaks the truth, can be quite boring unless you happen to be questing in the area too.
    I found that minig made a nice bit of money for me, once I didn't need the ores I'd just sell em on. People are always too lazy to go out and mine them themselves :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

i made between 150g and 250g an hour farming primals, their needed for everything and usually go very quick and for 20g+ each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

play the auction house, i made over 700 gold last week in a very lucky find. buy low, sell high.

buy stuff at weekends, its cheaper then. sell during the week when the market is not flooded.

farm primals, water/air/mana are worth the most.

netherweave cloth, and to a lesser extent runecloth. control this market for leveling tailors and you will make a bloody fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I make my money through mining

In 1 hour I can mine about
    -60 adamantite
    -20 fel iron ore
    -15 eternium
    -2 khorium
    On average, In Nagrand.

So basically I make about 100+G per hour through mining. Can get quite tedious though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 warriorpoetic

lazlo wrote:
    What are the most effective ways to generate large amounts of gold in the game(outside of great trading on AH)?

Are you sure you're really maximizing your profits from the AH? With good AH farming you won't need to rely on farming items drops, items and services you supply from your trade or even daily quests although every one of these is a great addition to what can be your main source of income!

You can make hundreds of gold everyday but of course you need to have enough capital to invest before you get to that level of trading. I moved to a new server so I had to start again from the ground up but already my level 17 toon has 100g and if I really care about having alot of money I will make the right choice not to blow it I and instead turn it into 1000g very soon continuing this process for as long as I play wow! You can begin this process with as little as 10g.

Don't just use the auctioneer mod download the entire AuctioneerComplete suite which contains a wealth of money making addons all complementing each other very nicely.

Set up a female bank character with a name not too provacative that still makes it clear to anyone browsing your goods in AH or negotiating a price with you directly that you are in fact a woman. This may sound ridiculous but it works and is the main reason you see many more female level 1 bankers than male so do not be fooled into thinking that women are much superior at handling their finance! :D After sending her some capital to work with I suggest you camp this character outside the AH in Exodar if alliance because it's quiet, you won't have any distractions or goldsellers etc and you will draw far less attention to yourself. Being remote from the majority is never a problem because if you are trading directly COD is your friend. You're using a private bank character because you want to keep your trading private, perhaps there are some people who won't buy from and sell to you for whatever reason but the major advantage is that when you start to monopolize and control the market on specific items why choose to let everyone know that you are the culprit?! Do not tell anyone the name of your bank character not even your friends. Tell them how much money you have if you like but they don't need to know who exacty your bank lady is.

You want to have your AH auctioneer database built up over at least a week before you do any solid trading or can trust what price auctioneer is telling you items cost. You must scan AH at least twice a day (i do three minimum and frankly the more the better) spread out over 12 hours or as close to that as you can manage. This will provide you with very accurate appraisals on items so you can now begin making some real money.

Buying items from AH always begins straight after a fresh scan with your bank lady - I cannot emphasize this enough because the results are only a snapshot of AH at the current time and change very quickly - you will not be the only person on your realm farming AH. There will be many others anticipating their scan completion waiting to pounce on the bargains and aside from this there are always regular folks without the addon just browsing for items they want. Don't let them take your profits! This is your money were talking about! :D When the scan has completed click the search auctions tab, select buyouts and set the minimum profit relevant to however much capital you have - if you have 10g set it to 3g etc. Set the pct (minimum profit percentage) to 70. Leave the rarity restriction as it is becuse there is always alot of money to be made from even white items. Before choosing to buyout one of the results check to see how many times it has been bought out as the more times this has happened the better. Also check how many times the item has been seen at auction because an item seen only 10 times for instance this doesn't give you a very accurate estimate on its true value.

Bidding on items although it may seem very tedious can yeild just as much profit although most of the time your bid won't win. Select bids from the drop down box and enter the same search criteria as outlined above. You only want to bid on auctions that have at most a medium period before ending and short periods are of course better. The best time to bid is in the off peak hours on wow when most people are asleep (late night and early morning) etc because you have a much better chance of winning the bid. Also whenever your realm shuts down for maintenance be sure to bid the few minutes before it does so because again you have a better chance of securing the purchase.

Any item drops to collect while grinding, or bargains you see being offered in the trade channel while on your main should be posted to your banking lady (30 copper per item). Post the auctions on AH using the post auctions tab not the wow regular one weekdays at 4pm for 8 hours and on weekends from 10am or so for 8 hours. If you want you can also put them back on at 6/8pm for another 8 hours if you like. You are only trading for 8 hours because you save a third of the auction deposit/tax by doing so. Why trade for 24 hours over night when if the item doesn't sell you lose the deposit fee. Some items have a very low tax and others are very high which is almost a stealth tax because when you start trading alot and aren't paying attention you won't notice how much each item is costing to list and only that you're suddenly down 100g everyday. Weapons have the worst tax and enchant mats are free to list. Only post auctions when auctioneer tells you your are undercutting the competion by 5%, there is no competition or you have a monopoly (woot!). That said if it tells you you can't meet the competions price and to buy it out would yeild you a profit and cost relatively little to your capital buy it and resell at your price. If you can't sell an item because of the competition keep it in your bank or let it rest in your mailbox for up to 29 days - a time will come when you are offering the best price on the item, might be a day, might be a week. This also applies to items that auctioneer has never seen at auction and therefore cannot sell properly. This is a real pain when starting out but the enchantrix addon included in the auctioneer suite will tell you how many shards a disenchanter can get from each of them for you. Find one you trust and have him turn the items into shards and then sell them on ah - you will have no trouble getting a price on shards :D

Idling in wow and it's not yet time to scan again? With your banklady click the btmscanner tab and click play. In your main browse window it will display the latest items put up for auction every 20 seconds or so and will make a doorbell noise to alert you when there's a bargain to be had. You will need to adjust the btmscanner settings to your criteria for a bargain.

New patch coming up, new instance etc? Research what items will be be in demand and get them now while they're cheap - potions among many others. Item price can jump 10 fold upwards after blizz changes something.

Recipes, schematics, patterns, plans etc go for ludicrous prices in AH when the same very item can be bought for very little from some out of the way vendor. All of these that are buyable from vendors can be looked up online to see where to get them. For quick proof of this search for some plans or something and scroll your mouse over the item to get the auctioneer tooltip - it will tell you how much the item costs from the vendor.

When you get that 5000g don't blow it on an epic mount etc right away because you can turn 5000g into 10000g much faster than 0g to 5000g. Bide your time, give it a little longer and then buy what you need when you are secure in capital.

Never spend all of your money on auctions. There are no sure things with auctioneer - eggs - one - basket.

There is much I have left out and not everyone will agree with my methods and who knows maybe they're right! This is what works for me and what will continue to work. You can find many real AH guides online. My new toon is on outlands now if anyone wants to discuss or needs help in real time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Looks like a Copy+Paste job to me.

I'll take that as a complement. Just because I put time into it and it's long doesn't mean it's copied and pasted. Perhaps that is what you do when you try to help? If it's really copied and pasted you should be able to google for and get hits for strings of the text. If you haven't anything constructive to contribute to this thread take it somewhere else. Futhermore your amazing insight suggests that you believe all guides must be copied and pasted from a former guide but wait isn't that an infinite regress? Please think before you post smart guy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

"When you get that 5000g don't blow it on an epic mount etc right away"

Ha just did that over the weekend :). spent another 200 on the mount also. Had 4g left after. But 24hours later had over 400g again!!

I do go spend my money on silly things and this morning was under 200g once again. But with my mining and epic mount and the high prices pay for ore im not worried.

What would Eddie Hobbs say?

eddiehobbs2.jpgcount.gif

1g, 2g, 3,g 4! ahahahahahahahahahaha! :D

400g in 24 hours is gg!

Well the day i bought the mount i only had 4500 starting off. So i made 700 in that day and 400 the day after. Fair enough my bank was very much empty after that 48hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Quick question, how do you work out the value of an item, if Auctioneer hasn't seen it being sold yet?

I have this, with +5 agi, and +4 sta. Allakhazam has it down for being 65s, but it being level 19, I thought it would be worth more, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Use your common sense... a mail piece at that level would be for warriors or paladins. Hunters cant use it, therefore its pretty useless for twinks.

An alt with decent money would possibly pay 1-2 gold but not much more. They could quite easily get a blue mail or a green with more suitable stats for a similar amount.

So, I would assume 35silver is an almost definite sell, but anything more than that might not work so well.

Sadly, I'd probably disenchant it or just vendor it as the item isnt that useful for anyone but hunters, who cant use mail till level 40 and by then would get better items ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Ah right, I'll disenchant it so.

Apologies if the question seemed obvious anyhow, I'm only an ickle level 25, so I'm still in the process of working out what stats work best for what class :)

I'm too late to stop you deing or vendoring that item but from now on what you should do is create another level 1 (aswell as your level 1 banklady) character and just position them near a mailbox. Send all the drops you get that have never been seen at auction to this mailbox - only costs 30 copper a piece. Check the items in the mailbox every few days. They will surely have been seen before the mailbox is emptied of items after 30 days.

I lost my auctioneer database last night so I will be doing this alot for another week or so. I just scanned and it said 8% full when it was 60%+. Back up your database. (this happened for no apparent reason) I may even wait a few weeks because already for my level 21 I've got two epics to sell and about 10 blues + 150g in the bank/. I don't want to take risks with the epics because one of them is worth 300g+.

If anyone is on outland please contact me so you can send me your database! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Daily Quests.
    Auction House.
    Completing ALL quests in a high level zone, even though XP is not required.
    Grinding.
    Using Gatherer.
    And more...

Making gold in World of Warcraft is simple, its only prefecting the right method for you.

E.g. Im a holy priest - therefore I find it very difficult to grind, so I do other stuff mentioned about. I.e. I love playing the AH -- make ALOT out of that..

• Advertisement

Man the outlands are so handy for gold. I bought my 60 mount the day before yesterday and was left with 10g, and yesterday I had 140g. I wasn't even grinding it or doing dailies, just general rewards and drops.
    ...and that's when I vendor stuff cos I'm not bothered auctioning it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Lvl 67 Pally, 3700G atm :)

I'm doing well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

layke wrote: »

DAMN!

I m only starting out my first time, so thanks for all the advice.

Still have to make my first gold coin ha ha.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

layke wrote: »

yeah and 2.5k of that was a present from a guildy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

The key to making gold is auction house, auction house, auction house.

Auctioneer's amazing for easy gold making. I've never even bothered fully working out how to use it, but that's because what it does is already good enough. :D

The other suggestion, and something that plenty of people wouldnt approve of, is to monopolise something. For example, you could buy all the arcane dust on one realm, so as to resell at a significant profit. If it's a good with high demand in small quanitities you can charge quite high amounts and get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

splinter wrote: »
    yeah and 2.5k of that was a present from a guildy :D

Shhh you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Faylum

Well at the begining of TBC i was grinding the scryers in netherstorm and made a fare chunk of gold there but i think the prices there have gone down, but if you are looking to sell netherweave then they are ideal, in an hour you can have maybe a 100-120g worth of the stuff, depending on how fast you can kill.

I usually, these days grind a heroic for a primal nether and then grind the mageslayers and mana mote givers in netherstrom to get primal manas, once again in 1hr its possible to get 10-15 primals depending on your speed of killing. Once i have the 10x primal manas and a primal nether i make Runic spell threads and sell them off for 350-450g depending on the need in the AH. To make runic spell threads you need to get exhalted with scryers and have tailoring.
    but if thats not your cup of tea you could always go to nagrand and grind the fire/air/water/earth elementals and skin the kodos. Primals are big money, so this can make u alot depending on how long your willing to grind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Dailies and professions. Though these days I can't be bothered with either tbh.

These days i go to nagrand and grind the fire & air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

it's in no way possible to grind 15 primals in an hour...especially in such an overcrowded spot + the drop rate!..

stop chatting shtie and go back to 60 man ganking in stv with your guild!

Advertisement