Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mace

• 04-10-2007 12:16pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

What the hell happened to Mace, the one beside the Sony Center? It opened for a few weeks and now its closed down! Someone told me the shelves are also empty.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Girlfriend was telling me it opened for business as normal last week and then they gave notice to people that it would be closing up shop in 30min and sure enough it did...as far as I know that was about 11/12 in the morning

Very very strange,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thats very weird. The owner of that store used to run Spar in Tramore for years. He gave up, then used to work as a manager when the main one was away, and then we saw he was running Mace. Now, its closed!

Very weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

they were probably told by there accountants to shut up shop just like the chap that had riverwalk stores over by the peugeot dealers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I doubt it, its not open long enough for an accountant to advise against opening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

they were probably told by there accountants to shut up shop just like the chap that had riverwalk stores over by the peugeot dealers

is that what happened to that, didn't think it would be a loss maker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

That's strange indeed.The passing trade here must have been massive so Cashflow could not have been the issue.

Maybe the owner was bankrupt or who knows had a breakdown.

mad man wrote:
    Maybe the owner was bankrupt or who knows had a breakdown.

Doubt it, seems fine to me. Iv seen him since the shop was closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

yep it was open for five weeeks, was talking to a member of staff there and I just get ''easy come easy go'' as any answer. They were selling everything for half price last week...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Cabaal wrote:
    is that what happened to that, didn't think it would be a loss maker

Lidl opened up the road. :rolleyes:

Talking to the lad in work here and he mentioned he was talking to the owner, aprranrly it just wasn't doing decent enopugh business and I'd imagine the running costs...rent etc were crazy in that spot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

my hubbie did some work in there before it opened an he was talking to the owner and he reckoned that he would take in at least 12 grand a week!!!! slightly overestimated id say!!

my hubbie did some work in there before it opened an he was talking to the owner and he reckoned that he would take in at least 12 grand a week!!!! slightly overestimated id say!!

Agreed, couldn't see that happening realistically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

it wat put in the wrong place ya cud say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I would have thought O'Neills would have cornered that market. It didn't seem like good business sense putting Mace there when O'Neills is 2 or 3 doors down and Dunnes Stores is within rock throwing distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I did'nt even know there was a shop there, (hardly use that bit of road), anyone opening a convience shop in that location needs thier head looking at.

Could'nt think of a worse spot on a major route to be honest. You've got Statoil (?) on the manor, then another shop, then you have SQ with car park all established, meanwhile that parade of shops, being set back off the road don't have much immediate visibility.

Mike.

Tis up for lease now!

Advertisement