Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lifehacking mealtimes

• 04-10-2007 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

This lifehack can be completely tech-free or can use an Excel spreadsheet or even a database.

I do my grocery shopping online but I used to find myself sitting at the computer thinking "What will I have for dinner [insert day here]" quite a lot. So what I did was every time I had a meal I took note of it. I did this on an Excel spread sheet, you can do it on an A4 page if you like.

So I noted, the ingredients necessary and how many days dinners that would get me. Over time I have built up quite a large repository of meals that I like.

Example:
    Quick Chicken (2 days)
    • Chicken Breasts
    • Carrots
    • Parsnips
    • Garlic cloves
    • celery
    • broccoli
    • Olive oil

Speedy tuna (1 day)
    • Cous cous
    • Tuna steak
    • Piri-piri spices
    • Frozen mixed vegetables
    • Garlic clove
    • Mushrooms
    • Red Onion
    • Olive oil

Kippers (1 day)
    • Kippers
    • Potatoes
    • Garden peas

So over the course of about 3 weeks I had compiled a list of dinners I like and ingredients necessary. Now when I sit down to my computer to do my online shop I have a list of ingredients ready and know what to order. I look through my list of about 30-40 meals and decide what I'll have each day then type int he ingredients I need. Works wonders and has sped up my internet shopping and made life easier all round :)

Anyone else do this or similar?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I don't do that Del, but I do make batches of meals at the weekend, and put them in the freezer in individual servings. Come home, heat them up every day. Easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I do that too when I know I've a busy week ahead! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

Go on..you know you want to share that excel file!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I really need to get into cooking my meals for the week. It just takes up so much time especially when I eat about 6 meals a day (every three hours)

This includes my breakfast so I would not need to freeze that.

My question is can you freeze anything? How do you then defrost it? Does freezing take anything away from the food.... ie. taste etc.??

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I really need to get into cooking my meals for the week. It just takes up so much time especially when I eat about 6 meals a day (every three hours)

This includes my breakfast so I would not need to freeze that.

My question is can you freeze anything? How do you then defrost it? Does freezing take anything away from the food.... ie. taste etc.??

everything doesn't freeze well, but most things are ok. it depends on how much the taste matters to you! imo, it isn't really possible to cover a whole week easily with nice meals from a weekend of cooking, if you are eating that many meals a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

techguy wrote: »
    Go on..you know you want to share that excel file!:D
    Only saw this now :o If I remember to do so tonight I'll upload it but really, it depends on what kind of food you like :)
    copacetic wrote: »
    imo, it isn't really possible to cover a whole week easily with nice meals from a weekend of cooking, if you are eating that many meals a day.

Very true, it's possible to get about 3 days or so for me. However, once those 3 days meals are eaten, I then cook a large batch one night with enough food for the next night. Then 2 nights later I do the same again, so I often only cook about 3 times a week.

If you like stir-fries and curry but don't like waiting for rice to cook, you can do some cous cous instead ;)

50 g cous cous into a bowl, add boiling water, leave for 3 minutes - ready :)

Even quicker than stirfry is this meal - cous cous, microwaved kippers and beans, takes about 8 mins total.

For those who like to cook but don't like the time it takes, a pressure cooker appears to be the answer, you can cook food in about one-quarter to one-half the time it would otherwise take. I haven't got one yet but I'm planning on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Ugh cous-cous noooooooooo!!! Not nice!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

You could make something genuinely useful out of that if you found a way to include the life expectancy of foods into your chart (VBA, maybe?).

That way, you could plan what to buy so that all your stuff doesn't go bad by the time you want to eat it. That seems to happen to me an awful lot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Only saw this now :o If I remember to do so tonight I'll upload it but really, it depends on what kind of food you like :)

Reminder!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Jesjes wrote: »
    Reminder!!

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 marco2polo

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I look through my list of about 30-40 meals and decide what I'll have each day then type int he ingredients I need. Works wonders and has sped up my internet shopping and made life easier all round :)

Anyone else do this or similar?

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing a while back! Brilliant idea, just takes the spontaenity out of it...a few weeks ago I went to Tesco with a huge camping bag, did about 100 worth of shopping, just bought bulk of everything so got discounts and stuff. When I got home, I separated everything into portions (even the sausages :P). Great savings, only problem is the other guys in the house keep b****ing that there's no room in the freezer:rolleyes: So since my diet's gotten so bad (eat practically nothing these days due to stress) I think I'll get down to making this spreadsheet idea and get sorted again

Thanks a million for the reminder!!:D

Advertisement