Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the irish defence forces

• 04-10-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

(sorry for reapeating this)
    ive just finished secondary school and am going to enlist in joining the IDf,how hard is it to get into?i am going to contact evrey man power office in the country,i dont reallly care were im posted!i just reallly want to join!

when ive contacted them,how long would i have to wait before doimg my physical test? at the momment i can past the test! but i reallly would like a month before i do the test to prepare!so i can do double what they ask.
    Whats the usual waiting time before someone is accepted?

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

With regards to wanting a month to train for the test, you'll have more than a month.

The process goes like this.........
    • Send the application forms away
    • Get called for Interview
    • If you pass the Interview, get called for the Medical
    • If you pass the Medical, get called for Fitness Test
    • If you pass that, you just have to wait for a Start Date

At least that's how it was done when I went for enlistment and that was only late August and early September of this year.

If all goes according to plan, your whole Recruitment process should take a little bit over a month. Best of luck with your application!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

It can take several months, as it depends on several factors :

1.) Security Clearance - This is based on how long the police take to get their fingers out.

2.) When the next recruit platoon is being taken in, this depends on the demand coming from the various BN's and SQN's within the area you have applied.

3.) Only apply to the Brigade area you are in as it wont be any quicker if you apply in Cork if your from Donegal for example.

Also the IDF as you mentioned is the Israeli Defence Forces, the term you were looking for is the PDF - Permanent Defence Forces.

Poccington has filled in mostly what I was going to say.

Oh and start training now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mrmotivator007

thanks for the help,ill easilly pass the physical,
    any advice on what do do in the interveiw?

I found the interview easy enough......... None of the questions are particularly hard. It's not an interview designed to trip you up, they just wanna get an idea of you as a person and some of your traits.

1 thing I would definitely say though, is make sure you present yourself well. Wear a suit, be clean shaven, be well spoken or well mannered....... Things like that, don't go in looking like a bag of ****e or with a chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

whether its true or not tell them you like running, swimming and hiking sometimes and tell them your the captain of your football team, worked for me! use the captain thing when they ask ya for an example of your leadership!

• Advertisement

king-stew wrote:
    whether its true or not tell them you like running, swimming and hiking sometimes and tell them your the captain of your football team, worked for me! use the captain thing when they ask ya for an example of your leadership!

Yeah that was the same in my interview...... They loved the fact I played sports.

congrats Marquel,Good luck to yo:p u

(this november??? meaning ill probly miss this recruitment stage,probly the next ones around february,when did you sign up?

Im not sure how often they take people on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Marquall wrote:
    I'm after getting accepted and i'm due to start in November, does anyone have tip or advice on how to survive the next 6 months of crawling in sewers and running for my life? the one thing i hate more than anything and dreading, is the running, i'm a "big" guy ( :p ) and i know i'm going to suffer on that end...

Keep you eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.
    Don't take it personally.
    Remember there is a reason for everything in the army down to why the boots are laced the way they are.
    If in doubt clean it. Always a good rule for room inspections.

As for the running well just take it one step at a time and you'll get there.

Good luck with the training. Will be tough as hell.

Oh and if your NCO asks you who is your buddy in the platoon remember they all are:)

Marquall wrote:
    I'm after getting accepted and i'm due to start in November, does anyone have tip or advice on how to survive the next 6 months of crawling in sewers and running for my life? the one thing i hate more than anything and dreading, is the running, i'm a "big" guy ( :p ) and i know i'm going to suffer on that end...

Bring Complan with you you'll need it and plenty of Pharmaton and keep well hydrated, Oh and dont get drunk at the weekends as sometimes they will run the ****ee out of you on a sunday evening.

But plenty of vitamins and complan at nights especially the winter will build you up, I did it durning the winter and was not plesant

Also get plenty of parade gloss and womens tights for your boots..

If you need any help give me a shout it was a long time back since I've done it but they are much easier now than back in my day.

And remember be 5 mins early not late for everything ;)

• Advertisement

Marquall wrote:

Don't be as big a heatseeker as you are in the Reserves :p

Anyway, I might be going in on your intake as well..... So I might be there to give a good boot up the arse if ya get tired :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This is getting to be a pain in the hole. :mad:
    When the movie is over I will probably ban some spanner.
    In the meantime pull in your collective horns and do onto others....

Bunny Shooter come back next week when you have copped on.

This forum generally hosts informative, on-topic discussions. I would like to keep it that way.

I have no objection to a bit of banter but the line must be drawn at personal attacks/insults.

Sometimes I will turn a blind eye to an obvious troll getting flamed but not always. In most cases the flaming can be as disruptive as the original trolling as it usually leads to tit-for-tat arguments.

Use the "Report Post" button and Dub13, Gandalf or myself will take the appropriate action as promptly as we can.

Now please everybody lets gets back on topic and stay there. Thanks.

Marquall wrote:
    /me ignors the last 10 posts

Heres another question, If i'm asked if i'm in the RDF, what do i say? i know people say don't say a f**king thing or you'll get a hard time, but if for example they already know or find out after i said i wasn't in, won't i be worse off?

PS: for all to know Poccington is as hard as nails :D:D:D<3 lol

I love you for that last sentence :p

Well I dunno about yourself, but I plan on saying nothing. If they already know, then they'll probably just watch you to see how you act...... As in to see if you act like a know it all or just act like 1 of the lads, learning new things.

I plan on keeping my head down, doing what I'm told and staying out of trouble :D

Right, I'm tidying up this thread of anything that's off topic.

Anyone else goes off topic on this thread gets a Permanent Ban from the forum.

That is all.

OP which brigade are you thinking of joining ? BTW

Good Luck :)

Eastern brigade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

in the curragh or kilkenny?

• Advertisement

Eastern Brigade is neither the curragh or Kilkenny, it is Dublin, Meath and Louth and Monaghan.

Generally incorporates : Dublin = Cathal Brugha Bks, Mckee Bks, Meath = Gormanstown Camp, Louth = Dundalk Bks and Monaghan = B Coy and SP Coy of the 27th BN.

Close but no cigar.

Areas of responsibility for the various Brigades are as follows:
    Details from Military.ie

The Southern Brigade is responsible for military operations in the south of the country. Its area of responsibility includes the counties of: Carlow, Clare, Cork, Kilkenny, Kerry, Laois, Limerick, Tipperary, Wexford and Waterford. The Brigade Headquarters is located in Collins Barracks, Cork.

The Eastern Brigade is responsible for military operations in the East of the country. Its area of responsibility includes the counties of: Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath, Wicklow. The Brigade Headquarters is located in Cathal Brugha Barracks, Dublin.

The Western Brigade is responsible for military operations in the West of the country. Its area of responsibility includes the counties of: Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Longford, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo and Westmeath. The Brigade Headquarters is located Costume Barracks, Athlone.

Oddly no specific mention of either Monaghan or Mayo but I would assume they are Western Command.

Yeah that is strange, Although Monaghan was the old 29th Bn and Cavan also but was split a few years ago and monaghan went to the 27th and Cavan to the 28th and the Western Brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭derokid

When the 29th Bn was stood down Monaghan was integrated with the 27th Bn supplying B Coy and Sp Coy for the Bn, Cavan was integrated with the 6th Bn in Athlone supplying A Coy for the Bn.

As for those of ye that sign up now for th Forces....
    During training keep your heads down mouths shut and do what your told. Dont be too quiet... the Army like to see that people are able to think for themselves and deal with various situations both individually and as a team player... Answer questions if you know the answer... but dont be a smart ass and answer them all... Most of all
    HELP THOSE AROUND YOU WHO MIGHT NEED HELP... Dont be a hardman and make light of someones failings... Remember the Army doesnt like bullies and THEY have a great way of weeding you out then kicking you out....

ENJOY THE TRAINING.... It seems tough but thats only because your tired....!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

besides the recruits is there many units stationed in the curragh

This link will give you a good idea of who is based in the Curragh.

It will most likely the 5th BN training you so I did recruits there and to be honest it is an almighty kip but still plenty of area's to train and the range is only down the road.

Again good luck and as much as you'll hate it, you will reflect on it when it is all over and say it was'nt that bad, the first 6 weeks will be tough after that you'll get into the routine and it should be all fine until Scratch ;)

Here Marquall, guess who's gonna be joining you in Gormo?

I'll give you a hint, his name is Poccington :D

Oh Lordy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Marquall wrote: »
    patloon Sgt is ex-wing who apparently ""HATES"" RDF...

No one hates the RDF, thats just bullsh*t talk that you have to put to the back of your mind now.

Just knuckle down and remember this one 'be the grey man' !.

You'll be fine. PDF recruit training is pretty cushy these days and alot of the rumours you'll hear go back to the days when anything went for the duration of your training.

Btw, your section commander will know your ex-RDF and will expect some leadership from you in the early days. If he (or she) see's your not passing that experience along with your section you'll be in for it.

Best of luck with Gormo, our paths will cross ;)

Advertisement