Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the irish defence forces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EmmaThomas

a/tel wrote: »
    I was, yep its a good job but tough going at sea so be prepared.

yeah id say so. did you do any boarding? also can i ask you what you did in Communications as i do gave computing degree and this would be area that i would like... that's if i pass the training

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

EmmaThomas wrote: »
    yeah id say so. did you do any boarding? also can i ask you what you did in Communications as i do gave computing degree and this would be area that i would like... that's if i pass the training

Communication Operator, there is an opportunity to apply for Computer Programmer or Radio Technician but these are essentially trades and you have to apply and be interviewed first.

You have 4 choices from recruit training

1. Seaman
    2. Communications Operator
    3. Mech (Fitters mate)
    3. Supply (Stores & Stewarding)

All other jobs/trades must be applied for whilst you serve your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

So what about the standard infantry recruit, is it worth the relatively low pay scale ?

What do you do after the four month training camp ?

How hard is to leave the army if you dont like it after 6 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smalls90

Do NS recruits do any training in the Glen of Imaal or is it just army?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

So what about the standard infantry recruit, is it worth the relatively low pay scale ?

What do you do after the four month training camp ?

How hard is to leave the army if you dont like it after 6 months ?

It's worth it if you have always wanted to join the Army. It's pointless joining just to have a job because it's more than that, it's a change to your whole life, and will impact on you in everything you do especially relationships. Nothing quite tests a Wife/Girlfriend or Husband/Boyfriend, quite like telling them you're away for an exercise and it's the 3rd one that month.

As I said previously, you have to know what you're getting into and you have to want it badly. It helps when you are cold and soaking wet, and know there are hours more to go before the end is in sight, to be able to look inside and say "This is why i joined, This what I've always wanted. I'm cold and wet but it's worth it"

Don't join lightly, and when you do join throw everything you have behind it. It helps if you have nobody bitching at you from home during recruit training so warn significant others that you won't be home and it's no point them crying in your ear over that, it's totally beyond your control, even if you are promised a couple of hours/days off they can always disappear because one person F**ks up, and all are punished it's part of team building apparently!! :)

• Advertisement

smalls90 wrote: »
    Do NS recruits do any training in the Glen of Imaal or is it just army?

Basic Tactical training is carried out in Naval Recruit Training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Basic Tactical training is carried out in Naval Recruit Training

But their hand-to-hand practice carries on at every port they visit :pac:

discus wrote: »
    But their hand-to-hand practice carries on at every port they visit :pac:

Har har har.......

You telling me it doesn't happen?! Next you'll be saying you don't have a girl in every port!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

SIRREX wrote: »
    It helps if you have nobody bitching at you from home during recruit training so warn significant others that you won't be home and it's no point them crying in your ear over that, it's totally beyond your control, even if you are promised a couple of hours/days off they can always disappear because one person F**ks up, and all are punished it's part of team building apparently!! :)

That's why its so handy for me with a girlfriend in the PDF, once i get on the cadetship it'll be much easier having that support instead of having someone whine and whinge about your lack of time together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭damienf1

Communication Operator, there is an opportunity to apply for Computer Programmer or Radio Technician but these are essentially trades and you have to apply and be interviewed first.

You have 4 choices from recruit training

1. Seaman
    2. Communications Operator
    3. Mech (Fitters mate)
    3. Supply (Stores & Stewarding)

All other jobs/trades must be applied for whilst you serve your time.

Hi i am applying for the navy could you tell me what it was like been a Communications Operator was it mainly just communicating to each ship

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hershman12

ok so i got a date for fitness test for next thursday 20th, anyone know is it possible to change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Hershman12 wrote: »
    ok so i got a date for fitness test for next thursday 20th, anyone know is it possible to change it?

ring up, give a good excuse see what happens, if they say no, then change your plans around
    remember they probably have thousands of people applying for this so they probably will just say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 limk2014

Does anybody know whether having a degree would be much in your favour when applying for the pdf or would it make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 andmc

I believe it would make a huge difference. Come the interview anyway. Be it Arts, Engineering, Business or Culinary Arts i'm sure it would bolster your application significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheStig13

If your colour blind can you not join the PDF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

limk2014 wrote: »
    Does anybody know whether having a degree would be much in your favour when applying for the pdf or would it make any difference?

To be honest it wouldn't matter much unless you give a good interview. They will more than likely ask about you're social development as a student and how it help build your character.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EmmaThomas

Well done to anyone who passed there fitness test today. Have mine very soon but i struggle with the sit ups so not looking forward to that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can somebody please give a quick summary of what to expect in the interview for army. Would really appreciate it thanks

for the medical. do you do a colour blind test? are they strict on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

TheStig13 wrote: »
    for the medical. 1. do you do a colour blind test? 2. are they strict on this?

1. Yes, of course you do.

2. Very.

Especially if you have problems with blue, green, red.

Ever seen a map-marking situation board in use?

Mortar range plot?

Colour-coded safety areas?

SITREP map - blue = friendly and red = enemy - and you not able to tell the difference. Especially under red light?

Ask yourself if YOU would trust a live-firing area map with safety zones put there by a colour-blind operator?

...there is your answer.

tac

tac foley wrote: »

2. Very.

Mortar range plot?

SITREP map - blue = friendly and red = enemy - and you not able to tell the difference. Especially under red light?

Ask yourself if YOU would trust a live-firing area map with safety zones put there by a colour-blind operator?

...there is your answer.

tac

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KevinNoonan

Don't mean to go off topic here but since you gentlemen seem to be fairly forthcoming with you info so here's a few questions I'v been struggling to get answers to:

How long is a minimum term of service as an Army Line cadet?
    Would I be able to pursue my desired course in Computer Science?
    How likely is it I will be selected for overseas work?

I'm 18,I'm finishing up the leaving cert and I've always had an interest in the IDF. My father served overseas with the gards and that's why I'm eager to do that. Sound lads!

Kevin, IDF is the Israel Defence Force. The Irish Armed Forces are called the PDF, Permanent Defence Forces.

Just sayin'.

tac

2. Very.

Mortar range plot?

...there is your answer.

tac

Tac, times have changed. I failed the PDF colourvision test, but work in a command post in another army. Hasn't affected me yet...

Thank G*D I'm gone.

I 'spose you've got rid of the horses, too?

Harrumph.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Kevin, IDF is the Israel Defence Force. The Irish Armed Forces are called the PDF, Permanent Defence Forces.

Just sayin'.

tac

The full time branches of the Defence Forces are called the PDF.
    The DF also includes the RDF.

Just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 limk2014

Hi I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me with a question I have.

In the army and naval service, when you finish your training can you pass out in a rank higher than ordinary seaman/private 2 star? For instance could you pass out as a leading seaman/private 3 star?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

limk2014 wrote: »
    Hi I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me with a question I have.

In the army and naval service, when you finish your training can you pass out in a rank higher than ordinary seaman/private 2 star? For instance could you pass out as a leading seaman/private 3 star?

No. You train for 17 weeks to become a 2 star soldier. You then pass out and continue your 3 star training straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Naseri

with due respect and humble submission:
    can someone tell please how can i join the army thanks

Advertisement