Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the irish defence forces

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

limk2014 wrote: »
    Hi I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me with a question I have.

In the army and naval service, when you finish your training can you pass out in a rank higher than ordinary seaman/private 2 star? For instance could you pass out as a leading seaman/private 3 star?

No.

In the navys case once you pass your recruit training you get a week off and then you commence branch training. And then you go to sea.
    In order to be advanced you must go to sea and complete a taskbook.

You cant get advanced to able rate if you dodge sea just in case your wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 WicMan

Will there be another General Service Recruitment competition this year?, i was too stupid to realize that my application was never submitted back in March (Thanks crappy Internet). I wasn't 18 anyway so i was pissed off, but now im worried they will live off the applicants from that competition for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

WicMan wrote: »
    now im worried they will live off the applicants from that competition for the next few months.

You hit the nail on the head there but if previous evidence is anything to go by the results of the current recruitment competition will be used until a new recruitment drive in early 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Just regarding above (the chance of another recruitment campaign):

I emailed recruitment and was informed that there may well be another drive in Sep/Aug 2014. The person I was in contact with also suggested that I keep an eye on the www.military.ie website on an at least weekly basis because there's even a chance another drive will occur before then. So keep the eyes peeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

May I remind everyone who is interested in the next recruitment drive, that starting to get fit NOW would be a good idea, rather than waiting until the week before. I was cringing reading some of the posts on here during the past selection drive...

"I can't do 20 push ups, test tomorrow, help"
    "I can't run 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Michaelleo19

Hi im looking to join up in the defense force and i dont know how to join could u help me out thank u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Hi im looking to join up in the defense force and i dont know how to join could u help me out thank u

www.military.ie

Take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kellybean

Thinking of applying next year. Any tips on an acceptable physical requirement to get through the whole training process, not just to become a recruit? I don't think I'd survive on just getting by on the bare minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

can you run 5km handy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kellybean

Nah, but I'm starting training for it. Would 5k be acceptable or should I push it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement