Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the irish defence forces

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

i assume he means hidin in locker rooms and if so then yeah while your a normal private your probably will spend alot of time hiding in locker rooms, and thats the good part!

@ chapofdryans, yeah its possible to make a career out of it but i found it mind-numbingly boring and bing talked to like your a child by superiors who could barely even pass the leaving cert just didnt do it for me, each to their own of course tho! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

king-stew wrote: »
    i assume he means hidin in locker rooms and if so then yeah while your a normal private your probably will spend alot of time hiding in locker rooms, and thats the good part!

@ chapofdryans, yeah its possible to make a career out of it but i found it mind-numbingly boring and bing talked to like your a child by superiors who could barely even pass the leaving cert just didnt do it for me, each to their own of course tho! :rolleyes:

I rarely had time to hide, you were either on duty or resting off back then, as for people not making it a career I spent the best part of 14 years between two armies and now am a civilian, this was simply down to economics moreso than anything else.

Also getting signed on after x amount of time is not that simple any more and you could find yourself out for any number of reasons, I would advise any young man to spend at least 5 years in the army after leaving school to give him a good grounding in life at least as most 17 to 25 year olds these days are unfit,lazy and could'nt give a toss about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

they can,t touch you between the hours of 1900-0700

I'd have to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Mairt wrote: »
    No, your section commander won't know your ex-RDF before meeting you.

But if he asks tell the truth, but don't be cocky about it.

If you were an NCO in the RDF don't volunteer that info unless specifically asked. And then you'd better be able to step up to the mark and help your buddies out until they find their footing.

Finally, although recruit training is pretty easy now compared to a few year's back, making a soldier out of a civilian is gonna be hard work for you (the recruit). So when things get hard and your feeling like giving it all up just take a look around and find the fattest fvcktard you can see and think to yourself "fvck it, the army will NEVER ask me to do something humanly impossible".

One more finally!!!.

DON'T MAKE A MONDAY MORNING DECISION!.

What does that mean you might ask?..

Well on your first weekend off you go home and catch up with the ladz, have a few beer's, dig out the X-box and have a ball, maybe even shag your bird. Then you go back on Sunday night, wake up Monday morning to the orderly Sgt screaming to get ready for parade and you think back, and at that moment you consider fvcking the whole thing away... THATS A MONDAY MORNING DECISION.

Stick it out and see how it feels on Tuesday ;)

I trained in Gormo in 94 and although it was tough I loved every minute of it..Most of the Instructors were from 27/29 as most of us were going to be posted to them Units when we passed out.

One Instructor who comes to mind,ased in Gormo) When I met him first scared the bejuasus out of me and has since retired.He was a bodybuilder and took all of our PT sessions..He was tough as hell which in turn got my platoon the fittest of the three platoons training at the Time. He also gained (I think) the highest respect from us for what he made us..

I also had the pleasure to serve with him overseas before he retired..

ah the memories...

I trained in Gormo in 94 and although it was tough I loved every minute of it..Most of the Instructors were from 27/29 as most of us were going to be posted to them Units when we passed out.

One Instructor who comes to mind,ased in Gormo) When I met him first scared the bejuasus out of me and has since retired.He was a bodybuilder and took all of our PT sessions..He was tough as hell which in turn got my platoon the fittest of the three platoons training at the Time. He also gained (I think) the highest respect from us for what he made us..

I also had the pleasure to serve with him overseas before he retired..

ah the memories...

That Platoon was first of the yellow packs ?, Were you in Block B ;) and was your PTI called Jim, I wont mention the surname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Flying wrote: »
    That Platoon was first of the yellow packs ?, Were you in Block B ;) and was your PTI called Jim, I wont mention the surname.

Yes, Yes and No..( BTW I dispise that "yellow Pack" sh1te.)that was termed because we were meant to be kicked out after 5 years...here I am 13 and a half years on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

It will most likely the 5th BN training you so I did recruits there and to be honest it is an almighty kip but still plenty of area's to train and the range is only down the road.

Again good luck and as much as you'll hate it, you will reflect on it when it is all over and say it was'nt that bad, the first 6 weeks will be tough after that you'll get into the routine and it should be all fine until Scratch ;)

SCRATCH??? HMMMM..... AN INTRODUCTION TO FIELDCRAFT WOULD BE A BETTER WAY OF DESCRIBING IT;)

the GALL wrote: »
    SCRATCH??? HMMMM..... AN INTRODUCTION TO FIELDCRAFT WOULD BE A BETTER WAY OF DESCRIBING IT;)

I spent 3 days trying to get the smell of sheep sh1t outta my combats, twas lovely :rolleyes:

i think the more politically correct term nowadays is somethin like "navigation of an undulating ground" orsomething like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

JohnnyBadEye,can you spell?have you ever heard of 'good grammar'?

I would say your the type person who would be lucky to get a job washing bin trucks...

*cannot wait for the mods to see this!slan!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

JohnnyBadEye will not be able to reply for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

i am 16 and i am sh*t at school, i know you cant join until your 17, but would i be able to leave school and join when im 17 or would i be better off waiting until i finish school.

c-90 wrote: »
    i am 16 and i am sh*t at school, i know you cant join until your 17, but would i be able to leave school and join when im 17 or would i be better off waiting until i finish school.

your not ****e at school you just need the right teacher to put you in the right direction be careful what you wish for the army wants people who can think. are determined and can stand alone in a crowd ....before you go in make sure your ready physically and mentally

Do your leaving first then you have achieved something, you can join the army up to 25, so you have plenty of time and think about what you will do when you leave the army!! A cert in the back pocket is not that heavy..

the 2 posts above me say it all...

thanks lads,no need for me to type a long reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

thanks for the advice, i will stay on. would i be able to join the reserve when im still in school to give me a taste of the army?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Hagar wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that calling the RDF a hobby is only one step up on the insult scale from calling RDF members sandbags?

Sixteen years done buisier now than ever.

So yeah a part time job.

badly paid might i add.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

is the reserves basically scouts with attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's too early in the morning to be dealing with trolls. Just go away, thanks.

• Advertisement

chdpoker wrote: »

LOL

haha troll or not,thats a classic saying, YOINK!

c-90 wrote: »
    thanks for the advice, i will stay on. would i be able to join the reserve when im still in school to give me a taste of the army?
    YEA WHEN YOUR 17, GO FOR IT. IF YOUR ON THE NORTHSIDE JOIN THE 7TH ON THE SOUTH THE 62TH WHEN YOU JOIN THE ARMY DONT JOIN THE INFANTRY, TRY FOR THE ENGINEERS(AND IT'LL BE A LOT EASIER WITH YOUR LEAVING CERT)

No need to shout!!

Nothing wrong w/ Infantry!

Nothing wrong w/ Infantry!
    YOUR RIGHT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE INFANTRY ....BUT IF IT DOSN'T WORK OUT FOR THAT POTENTIAL RECRUIT SECTION IN ATTACK DOWN THE TALLAGHT BYPASS AND MANNING A GPMG AT THE FIVE LAMPS OR BRIDGE BUILDING OR MAYBE AN APPRENTICSHIP THERE MAY BE MORE MONEY IN THE LATTER AND WHEN YOUV'E DONE YOUR TIME AND THE FAMILY HAVE TO BE LOOKED AFTER ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY MEDALS AND WAR STORIES WONT PAY THE BILLS OR MAYBE IM WRONG...AM I???:confused:

Do you mind taken the CAPS off as it can be hard to read.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Do you mind taken the CAPS off as it can be hard to read.

Thanks
    I wll surly:)

i was actualy being serious! what does it involve

have a guess

have a guess

why guess? im looking for a answer. no need to be a child!

why guess? im looking for a answer. no need to be a child!
    yep its the boy scouts ......until you f#=k up or you walk away with ordenance you wont hear any dib dib dib then but you will be charged under military law and poissibly mentioned to the civvie police .... so if your thinking of it remember what you've signed up for its a legal document and it can well be used against you ....ABC...always be covered yada yada yada;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Met some people in the RDF who thought it was the boy scouts. As mentioned they were introduced to the concept of military law and all of a sudden they realised it was very, very serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sean/Telnor

anyone have any idea when they irish army will be recruiting for the next general service, i have my forms in and confirmed but i really need to know when the interviews will be and when i will start, so that i can sort out stuff with my landloard (contract is up and my job contract is finishing in a week.)

Thanks a million guys.

anyone have any idea when they irish army will be recruiting for the next general service, i have my forms in and confirmed but i really need to know when the interviews will be and when i will start, so that i can sort out stuff with my landloard (contract is up and my job contract is finishing in a week.)

Thanks a million guys.

Ring your Local or Brigade Manpower Office all numbers are on www.military.ie

Intake is on the basis of operationally needs it could be every month or every quarter.

By the way the term "Will I will start", this all depends on you passing the interview, then the Medical and PT and the length of time for security clearance to come back, it could take a fortnight or two months it is not a set timeframe and this could mean you would miss and intake and be taken in on the next if you pass!

would you be able to give me some tips for the interview (for general service). is it like the officers interview board?
    What kind of questions do they ask?
    Thanks a million for all the help.

would you be able to give me some tips for the interview (for general service). is it like the officers interview board?
    What kind of questions do they ask?
    Thanks a million for all the help.

It has changed from when I was in the newer lad's who recently joined up would be better but no it is not like an interview for a cadetship

another thing i was wondering was, during the training, when do they get out for the weekend (if they are allowed out that weekend)
    Do they get out on a friday evening, or is it on a saturday morning,
    and when do they have to be back at the training camp, is it sunday night or monday morning. Just really wondering.

Thanks for all the helpful info Flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

just got me letter for me interview today, its on the 24th. i cant believe it :D

just got me letter for me interview today, its on the 24th. i cant believe it :D

Congrats man!! I got mine for the 21st!! Yehaaa!! best of luck with it, make sure you get a suit and all for it. I was over the moon today just from the interview date lol

asewll get out there running now and timing yourself for fitness, just in case :) i've been training for it since last sept i want to do well when i get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

are yeah enlisting or cadetships?

are yeah enlisting or cadetships?

well i heard that the officer ones are running this month too but im not 100% sure to be honest.

The interview we got is for General Service Hoya! lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

asewll get out there running now and timing yourself for fitness, just in case :) i've been training for it since last sept i want to do well when i get in.

Dude run EVERY day you can, The fitter you are before you go in the better,

Week 1-3 you will be doing 2-3 Miles every day, week 4-6 you will be doing 3-6 miles, 3 Fast and 6 Slow,

On the 4th week you have to do a P.T Test again, Were they time you to see how you are doing, Getting faster or slower etc,

All in all, its a great life,

Blazher wrote: »
    Dude run EVERY day you can, The fitter you are before you go in the better,

Week 1-3 you will be doing 2-3 Miles every day, week 4-6 you will be doing 3-6 miles, 3 Fast and 6 Slow,

On the 4th week you have to do a P.T Test again, Were they time you to see how you are doing, Getting faster or slower etc,

All in all, its a great life,

wow man!! really, thats so cool, i run a min of 5 miles a day. average is 10 mins a mile, at an easy pace, i do the mile and a half in 8 mins and it kills me but usualy i do it in 10. thanks for the info, i love to hear about the training. what to look forward to :) all going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

LoL I hate running,

Best of luck mate

best of luck with it, make sure you get a suit and all for it.

didnt think i needed a suit, i went down last year with me mate for his interview and he just wore a nice tracksuit. i dont want to look like a plank going into it over-dressed :D

You may not need a suit (but it would do no harm) but do not go in a tracksuit no matter how nice it is.

well he got the advice from his brother and stepdad and he got in fine

well he got the advice from his brother and stepdad and he got in fine

Maybe he got lucky,it is a job interview after all and IMO its not appropriate to go with a tracksuit on.Maybe your mate was a fine candidate and was in with a great chance anyway no matter what he had on (within reason),if you are a borderline case the fact that you have a tracksuit on could well be the deciding factor in you not getting accepted.

thanks for the advice, i will sharpen up. i dont think me mate is any superior to me, were just ordinary joe soaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Wear a dark (matching) suit with well polished shoes. If you go for a pinstripe suit, make sure it's not too garish and only serves to break up the monotony. Don't let it turn the suit into a patterned suit. Your footwear is often deemed to be a good indicator of character so make sure that you're shoes (formal) are immaculate. It doesn't matter if they're not brand new, just make sure they're polished and clean. It's a good idea to bring a handkerchief with you to brush off any dirt from walking just before you go in. Wear a plain shirt with the suit and a plain enough tie. Subtle detail to add depth to the tie should be fine but avoid colours that contrast with the shirt or ties that are humourous/overly patterned. Leave the bottom button of the suit open. It's considered a bit uncouth to close all buttons on a man's suit jacket. Remember, this is a serious interview and should be treated as such.

No matter what the interview is for, or a presentation for that matter, never, ever, ever wear a tracksuit and always wear proper, clean footwear (not runners!!!). The suit is not optional. For interview purposes, no tracksuit is nice.

If you show up well presented it's an immediate indicator to the interview panel that you're of good character and can turn yourself out in a presentable manner. It also shows that you have enough cop on to act appropriately according to the situation. But most importantly, it gives a good first impression and I'm sure you know how vital first impressions are. You might be a great candidate but they've only got a very short amount of time to see that so you want to go in on a high note and keep going up from there.

To add to the first impressions you should take out/off any jewellery (except wedding rings if you're married and a watch). Having a haircut is also a good idea and if you've got any of those patches of dye in your hair it might be an idea to try and minimise them. You can't go wrong with a 2 on the back and sides and 3 on top.

What I've said above might seem a bit extreme but it's your whole career that hangs on you getting past the interview. It's not a good thing if your appearance makes the interviewers think you might have problems adjusting to military life. The haircut thing, if you get in you'll have to have it done anyway so...

Edit: forgot to say, make sure you wear dark socks with a dark suit and shoes! You'd be surprised how many people don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Blood sugar and sean did you guys apply for eastern brigade? ive applied for southern brigade in september but im still waiting for interveiw date im fully prepared for the test/interveiw now its just the waiting, anyone on these boards know if southern brigade will/are recruiting now?

thanks

Advertisement