Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Good DVD Burner

Options
  • 04-10-2007 12:47pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to replace my current, dying, DVD burner (think it's re-branded Pioneer 106 or 107).
    Looking at Komplett, there's a wide amount available but I'm a bit unsure as to what's good these days (e.g. is there a Maxtor equivalent to avoid).

It's been a while since I got a DVD burner so I'm wondering also about some of the newer gizmos - for example are all DVD burners dual-layer for the last while? I thought all that meant was you could burn the 4.7gb on the one side, instead of swapping or am I confused?

Also how good are the likes of LightScribe? And how much should I be looking at technologies like buffer underrun - it's common to all, but I'm sure some perform better than others

I've got little DVD-Rs left over, so format is not an issue although I'd prefer support for everything. Speed isn't a massive issue, although I seem to recall most bulk discs only go up to 12x so there wouldn't be much point beyond that (and I assume the chane of errors increase with speed, another factor).

So any recommendations for a budget up to e60 (i.e. basically any of those drives)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Plextor do one for 57 euro (delivery not included in that price) which I got for my build. Does pretty much all CD/DVD formats, it has decent buffer underrun and a black or white facsia which is changeable. No light scribe though, although light scribe isn't exactly worth all the hype tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I would go for plextor too, awesome drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

I bought a samsung drive with lightscribe and while its a neat way to label your discs Its not the most impotant element, I bought a box of lightscribe discs when I got the drive and have not bothered to buy any since.

Advertisement