Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer/general dog questions

Options
  • 04-10-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Three questions.
    1. Dog dirt. Is there any practicle use for it, i.e. composting etc?

2. Redmills "Star" dog food. Does anybody have any experience of it

3. I've two female boxers. They have the run of the garden during the day, and a heated run and enclosure at night. They are untrained, and 18 months old. Is it too late to try training them? They are crazy when brought out!

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

would you not have trained them as pups? Much easier to hold back a small puppy than a full grown boxer! Kudos for the heated run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can train a dog at any age (forget about the "old dog / new tricks" saying) plus you have to keep the traing up throughout their life anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do NOT compost dog dirt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Do NOT compost dog dirt!!!
    Jaysus relax I was only asking. I have their area paved but it is not even so am planning to concrete it. The guy who said he would do it also said he could install a drain to our household drain. Is that illegal?

Nala wrote:
    would you not have trained them as pups? Much easier to hold back a small puppy than a full grown boxer! Kudos for the heated run :)

Yeah when we got them it was kinda impulsive, and due to a situation above my control* I ended up working more than I expected so no would be the short answer. Easier yes, but thats life. I'm sure my local vet can advise me on this but is there anywhere people would recommend for grooming, training, dog exercise toys ? Basically stuff that good pet owners would have sorted by now!

*The out of control would be a baby expense
    !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Kingdom wrote:
    Jaysus relax I was only asking. I have their area paved but it is not even so am planning to concrete it. The guy who said he would do it also said he could install a drain to our household drain. Is that illegal?

Can't imagine why it would be ...shyte is shyte :D

Excellent. Thats the crap sorted so, now to the fun stuff. They really are energetic dogs so was wondering could anyone recommend any company/person who makes dog toys/courses? Just to keep them occupied whilst I'm at work. They get regular walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Kong make good toys, the sort you can stuff with food. Keeps them amused for ages. Rawhide chewys or pigs ears are good too, get them in any petshops. Some people are nervouse of choking though. My dogs have never choked on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I have a Boxer who will be 5 years old this year, they never clam down. Wouldn't worry about what toys to get them, as nothing will last to long. All you can do is to try and walk them as much as possible, I am in the same boat as regards the Baby comming along and ruining my lads long walks and now with another on the way, the poor fella will probably get even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Kingdom wrote:
    Jaysus relax I was only asking.

Jayney Mac, I was only answering. As for the legality of the drain - I'm not telling because you were so rude!:p :p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

Hi, I'm no expert on this but from what Ive read its ok to compost dog waste as long as you dont put it in with your normal compost, and dont spread the result over your prize veggies obviously! I dont think putting it down the drain is the most eco friendly if youre that way inclined..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I think Red Mills red star is too high in protein. My dobies were being fed that stuff by the breeder and were all rashes and itches over the high protein content. That's only for competition greyhounds I was told and not suitable for the normal dog. Its cheap of course so that's probably why the breeder was using it. :mad:

I use Burns dog food - only available at vets shops - great stuff if a little expensive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

The Star dog food actually has the ecact same protein content as all the other red mills products with the ecception of their greyhound one that is 27% and i would seriously advice you not to give that to boxers:D

but it does raise the question doyou really believe red mills has different production lines from cheap stuff to the winner expensive brand!!!! i honestly dont think so as all in ingredients on the different packages are the same and have the same nutrional values

i cant actually comment on other brands like burns as i have never looked in them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I use Burns dog food - only available at vets shops - great stuff if a little expensive. :)

It still works out a lot cheaper than pedigree chum.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I think Red Mills red star is too high in protein.
    [...]
    only for competition greyhounds I was told and not suitable for the normal dog.

Red Mills Star is 20% protein, which is perfectly acceptable for pet dogs. Its cheap enough, but not the cheapest by a long way.

Its a pet dog food, *not* a greyhound food.

Red Mills dog foods (including greyhound formulations) range in protein from 18% up to 32%

I don't work for Red Mills by the way, but I do work in a pet/agri shop where we sell approximately 30 different types of dry dog food by the 15 kg bag.
    Our most popular would be Beta Adult and Red Mills Star.

Thanks for all the replies guys. So far I've learned

1. My dogs will never calm down - not a bad thing.
    2. Dog shyte is not good on veggies - not a bad thing either.
    3. Star dog food isn't great, isn't terrible and isn't for greyhounds,

yahoo.

Advertisement