Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an "perfect" ISP out there?

Options
  • 04-10-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I'm with Eircom right now and their inept customer service has pissed me off for the last time. They disconnected my 3Mb ADSL service even though my bill was paid. They admit it's a process problem on their end, but I'll still have to wait 8-10 working days before they'll reconnect me! :mad: :mad: :mad: Seeing as I'm going to have to resort to my Vodafone 3G card for a couple of weeks, I might as well change providers at the same time.

Is there a provider that'll deliver reliable 3Mb DSL, without traffic shaping, and with a decent download allowance? Eircom give me 30GB download and unlimited uploads, which is very nice for bittorrents (all legal of course!), but the competition seem to add your upload and download quantities together to calculate usage. A static IP would be nice too. I work in the IT trade, so quality of support isn't important to me, and I'll provide my own ADSL router. I'm in Shannon, so it does limit my options somewhat....

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

TychoCaine wrote:
    Is there a provider that'll deliver reliable 3Mb DSL, without traffic shaping, and with a decent download allowance? Eircom give me 30GB download and unlimited uploads, which is very nice for bittorrents (all legal of course!), but the competition seem to add your upload and download quantities together to calculate usage.

Smart for this part at least, availability not withstanding.

A static IP would be nice too. I work in the IT trade, so quality of support isn't important to me, and I'll provide my own ADSL router. I'm in Shannon, so it does limit my options somewhat....

I dont know of any residential ISP package that does. NTL/UPC IP's tended to be sticky for months on end, but not quite static.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Neither Smart or Chorus service Shannon yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Digiweb Metro..
    Used them in Limerick city and found their tech support excellent. In the year I had it I only called them 3 times and it was sorted out asap..one issue took a few days as they had a problem with the limerick network but they explained what the issue was, what was being done to resolved it and an estimated date which worked out perfectly.
    They had a 30 gig limit on the 3meg line but it includes uploads as well. However it's a rolling 30 day limit and you can track on their site your usage for the last 30 days so you know exactly what day your limit will be freed up.
    They'll also give you one free static ip address as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Digiweb only do ADSL out here in the boonies, which wouldn't be too bad if their order page wasn't broken. The second step generates a 404 error (missing page). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Magnet FTW...

But you need to be living in a new Magnet development. Wont be long before they are a ubiquitous force in Irish broadband circles.. woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

IBB Breeze comes with a static IP, unlimited download/upload and good upload speed. They have had major problems in the past but that does seem to be solved now, given the lack of complaints around here about them. 3 are the new IBB in terms of crap connection and customer service. Don't know if Breeze is available in Shannon though.

IBB also do DSL now with no cap, don't know if the IP is static on this though.

Digiweb strictly enforce the 30G cap over a 30 day rolling period so that might not be so good for your torrent rating.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There is no such thing as a "perfect ISP", every ISP has upsides and downsides and people's experience will vary.

Some people will swear by the likes of Smart, Eircom, BT etc etc but others will say don't touch them with a barge pole.

Yes there's certainly some packages available such as one's available through Smart or BT Business but these are LLU Broadband and you have to be prepared to pay for the unlimited downloads (no FUP's).

As for your line speed, well if your line is good quality then sure you should be able to get 3MB but at the end of the day no ISP can guarantee set speeds as line quality can change and with wireless interference can be an issue with wireless ISP's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I have a static IP on eircom 3mb. costs €50 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

3. ...you ment perfectly bad right? Looking at the things you want, 3 don't provide a single one of them. You couldn't even use your ADSL modem.

Without Smart/UPC/Metro your options are limited. UTV with a static IP and "unlimited" traffic might do the job. It's resold eircom, service is braindead and it's decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

towel401 wrote:
    I have a static IP on eircom 3mb. costs €50 though

Once off or monthly ? Eircom can not charge for static IP, but they can make it dependant on a certain package. Like most ISPs require you to sign up for a business package to get a static IP.

/Marlow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Marlow wrote:
    Once off or monthly ? Eircom can not charge for static IP, but they can make it dependant on a certain package. Like most ISPs require you to sign up for a business package to get a static IP.

/Marlow

once off. i think you need the 3mbit business package so you wouldnt be able to get one on the 1mbit or 2mbit packages. you don't need a business tephelone line for it. some people are on the 3mbit 'home' package then you can just call them up and switch to business

Advertisement