Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half Life 2 : Orange Box

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

0ubliette wrote: »
    anybody actually manage to play TF2 without crippling lag?

No, awful for me too. Have they or are they going to patch this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

i read on ctr alt del that they are going to patch it

got it myself at lunch, tbh i thought it would be more than one disc

how big is each game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i read a patch was in the works, then the game updated itself when i put it in on saturday night, but it was still unplayable. Tho the quick lag free bits i got did seem fun, but not anything mindblowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

event wrote: »
    i read on ctr alt del that they are going to patch it

got it myself at lunch, tbh i thought it would be more than one disc

how big is each game?

Portal took me 5-6 hours. TF2 will last as long as you keep interested in it. As for the 3 Half Life games, they will take a loooong time to finish.

Does anyone know if you can set the difficulty for Half Life? – didn't see an option for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Reason they all fit on one disc is cos they all use the same engine.
    And 5-6 hours for Portal!? Took me only 2 and a half. Amazing, amazing game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Vegeta wrote: »
    We gots to get a boards game going for this

Indeed. People up for a quick match tonight around 9 or 10? Haven't played the game yet and a bit scared to jump straight into the ranked matches, especially with a lack of tutorial levels. Some friendly practice would be nice.
    And 5-6 hours for Portal!? Took me only 2 and a half. Amazing, amazing game!
    Yeah I think 2.5 hours was my playtime for the main campaign, but the advanced maps and challenges do more than double that time. And yes, there are very few adjectives to describe just how terrific that game is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Indeed. People up for a quick match tonight around 9 or 10? Haven't played the game yet and a bit scared to jump straight into the ranked matches, especially with a lack of tutorial levels. Some friendly practice would be nice.

will try and be on for a few games, send me an invite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

grizzly wrote: »

Does anyone know if you can set the difficulty for Half Life? – didn't see an option for it.

Its in options default is set to normal

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Vegeta wrote: »
    We gots to get a boards game going for this

I couldn't enjoy this game as the lag was terrible and everyone was doing a lone wolf on it. No team play at all

Using the classes here is key but everyone just seemed to pick a spy and go around stabbing people

I hear that, - Oh I've been stabbed again, what ho, splendid fun:mad:

On another note - has any one noticed if you let the game run on the title screen for about 5 minutes it runs a brief trailer for left4dead.

I was really looking forward to this game, and after the production values of the orange box and from Valve in general, I'm half baked!

Clicky here to whet your appetite for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

driving me fu*king nuts..Orange box half life 2 xbox360, level 4, have killed the end-of-level boss helicopter...but cant get thru the gates..

The options are the ladder, which is too high(have built barrel/crate/hoverbike structures trying to get up it), the two sewers pipes on the left which are also too high, the bike and barrels slip down..

Know am missing something and Value are messing with me, oh i found a skull in one of the crates, which might be useful for something..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

driving me fu*king nuts..Orange box half life 2 xbox360, level 4, have killed the end-of-level boss helicopter...but cant get thru the gates..

The options are the ladder, which is too high(have built barrel/crate/hoverbike structures trying to get up it), the two sewers pipes on the left which are also too high, the bike and barrels slip down..

Know am missing something and Value are messing with me, oh i found a skull in one of the crates, which might be useful for something..

Did you walk up the ladder and press the button to open them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

thats the thing, you can't walk up the ladder because it is up in the air, the bottom of the ladder is about 8-foot off the ground..if i stand on a barrel i still can't reach it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I havent got a game for my 360 in awhile, have half life 2 for the PC and I liked it.

I want to get a new game, but was wondering which would be better, Halo 3 or The Orange Box. Have never really played alot of the halo series.

Would the orange box be worth getting for the 360, is the multiplayer fun?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you have played and finished Half Life 2 then I think the new package is of limited use to you, unless the online portion is going to take over a large part of your life, if you didn't finish it go and buy it today!
    Halo 3 is short but sweet, I finished it within a casual week, on Heroic, and loved ever last minute of it, I don't really go for the online stuff so thats a bit lost on me.

Alternatively, buy the Orange Box and check the preowned stock for Halo and Halo 2, play them and when finished, should take you a while, then trade the lot in and buy Halo 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if hl2:dm is on the orange box then go for that, even if it isn't still go for it, way better than halo imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

thats the thing, you can't walk up the ladder because it is up in the air, the bottom of the ladder is about 8-foot off the ground..if i stand on a barrel i still can't reach it..

You're looking in the wrong area. Theres a big gate you need to open to the left of the ladder if you were facing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Half Life 2 is a million times better than any of the Halo games imo, The Orange box is much better value than Halo 3. Im now on that annoying boat level wit the helicopter constantly shooting at me and the controls for the vehicle are driving me mad, its harder with a joypad than a keyboard and mouse, the rest of the game ive played so far is great fun tho. The graphics dont seem to be quite as good on the 360 as on the pc but I get a much higher frame rate on the 360 so im happy

I really enjoyed Half Life 2, and no I didnt finish it.

Its just I wasn't sure whether the game would work on a console, Being an FPS.

oh well i based my opinion on having played halo 1 and 2 on console and pc, and then deciding which had the better story and online play.

hl series won outright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

shortys94 wrote: »
    Its just I wasn't sure whether the game would work on a console, Being an FPS.

Having played HL2 and most of Episode One on the PC, and now on the 360, I can honestly say the differences are tiny. The only thing I think the game suffers from is the lack of a mouse wheel to change weapons - d-pad is slightly slower.

And yes, well worth buying. Portal is the best game you'll buy this year, and while Im only an hour into Episode 2, it is already a massive improvement over Episode 1. Haven't even tried TF2 yet, but at the moment it is certainly a far better single player experience than Halo 3, which is a great game, just not HL great.

Thanks for that, I heard the Team Fortress games are laggy..... But is it a good online game, I find I'm always playing gears online whenever I'm on the 360.

it's great on the pc anyways, haven't played it on a xbox. but if it's laggy on the xbox it's not the games fault.

Yea just wanted to know whether its a good online game, I know there hopefuly will be a patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Cremo wrote: »
    it's great on the pc anyways, haven't played it on a xbox. but if it's laggy on the xbox it's not the games fault.

I dont know if its the same for all 360 users but when I go to do a serach for servers at most ill get about 15 or none at times and one I get into the server it usually gets disconnected!!

but for pc when I tried to get some servers I got over 3000 choices!

This will be a game ill only play to get the achievements and then paly it on the pc cause its a great game!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

yes daz you've noticed the fundamental flaw of xbox live.

you pay for a service yet you're expected to play a fast paced fps hosted by someone on a bog standard adsl connection.

the reason why there's more pc servers too is that the game is esstenially a pc port to the console

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

shortys94 wrote: »
    Yea just wanted to know whether its a good online game, I know there hopefuly will be a patch.

I got a second patch for the game today.
    Hopefully it fixes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Portal is perfection.
    I wish I could erase my memory of it and play it all over again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I briefly tryed TF2 on my 360 the other night and enjoyed it, no lag when I played.

• Advertisement

Whats cheapest shop to get it in? 70 in smyths!

Is t region free, was thinking about www.videogamesplus.ca if I want to get online because their shipping only takes 3 days usually.

Advertisement