Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Server & table size

Options
  • 04-10-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is a max table size for MS SQL Server 8/2000?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As in the data area, or the number/size of columns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Size on disk :)

There's no limit, theoretically. Except the size of the disk.

You can however limit the size if the data files by hand, and coupled with partitioning & filegroups, you could apply a size limit to an individual table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

er if you're using the free version as well .. I think there's a 2gb database size limit ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Max size of SQL Server 2000 DB is 1,048,516 TB that is for versions Dev, Ent, Pro, Std & Personal

For MSDE and SQL Server CE max db size is 2 GB

• Advertisement

Ginger wrote:
    Max size of SQL Server 2000 DB is 1,048,516 TB that is for versions Dev, Ent, Pro, Std & Personal
    I'm not surprised I never heard of it before then :D
    Only one exabyte? Pfft sure that's tiny :D

Yeah thats from the comparison charts for SQL Server 2000 editions...

You can have a max row size of 8060 bytes.. its only limited across rather than down..

I am just re-read your post and you were asking table size.. it can any physical size on disk, but are you askinig logical structure as in number of cols X number of rows?

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's the free version but I'm getting a message saying the table is full and is being pruned. But the table is only 5.1mb.

I don't have Enterprise Manager but a program called Database Server Supervisor which can allow/deny table growth by percentile/physical size. This is set to Maximum which I assume is the 2GB but once it reaches 5MB it starts to prune.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What do you mean by "prune"???

• Advertisement

Shayser = numpty of the highest order.

It's database size not table size :eek: Sorry for the wild goose chase.

These are the messages I'm getting:

M1.jpg
    M2.jpg

Check out the SQL Server Agent on the server (if there is one).

They don't look like SQL Server messages. Looks like someone set up some sort of performance/counter alerts on the SQL Server that prune the database when it gets to a certain size :eek:

Advertisement