Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair procedure for domestic pump!?!

Options
  • 04-10-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

I have a pump, which I won't name, in my hotpress. It pumps the hot and cold supplies around the house and powers the shower and such. It's powerful but recently it refuses to shut off when it's run for more than 20 seconds or so. You manually have to kill the switch in the hot-press. So, I went diagnosing the problem, only to find out that there is sweet FA that can be done in-situ.

I dropped a mail to the service department of the unnamed pump manufacturers in the UK and I received the following response... now, bear in mind that this pump is connected to four pipes... the CWS in the attic, the cold piping around the house, the feed from the hot water cylinder and the hot water piping around the house... all 3/4 inch...
    Thank you for the e-mail in regards to the issue that you are having with your <edit> pump.

The first thing to check would be to isolate the hot and cold inlets and outlets and the power to the pump.

With all of the pump isolated remove the pump and invert the pump and give the pump a shake.

The pumps flow switches should be lifting a dropping nice and freely refit the pump and try it again.

If you are still having an issue after that then please contact me again.

Seriously, this like a Haynes manual instruction. The instruction reads in 4 lines and looks simple until you start thinking about the facts...

Do they really want me to drain down my system and throttle the pump in an inverted state, just to 'try it again'....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Some whole house or shower only pumps have flexible hoses that contain a service valve (shut off) valve to allow the quick removal of the pump for servicing/replacing. If not, are their any valves on the supply pipes & delivery pipes?
    Your are lucky that the instructions are short and to the point, especially if it cures the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

flocker wrote:
    Some whole house or shower only pumps have flexible hoses that contain a service valve (shut off) valve to allow the quick removal of the pump for servicing/replacing. If not, are their any valves on the supply pipes & delivery pipes?
    Your are lucky that the instructions are short and to the point, especially if it cures the problem.

Eh, no, not in my case! It's a drain-down of the CWS for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

10-10-20 wrote:
    Eh, no, not in my case! It's a drain-down of the CWS for me!

I'm surprised most systems have a valve on both inlet sides (not necessarily right at the pump) and then its just a matter of turning on the taps to clear the other side!

Advertisement