Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spot Lights for Lamping

Options
  • 04-10-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

I know a good few people here have Spots for scope top mounting. I was just wondering if any of these have a Lumen spec.
    I was just interested in knowing what kind of output would be necessary for a good spotlight for this application.
    I have one with a Candlepower spec. but that doesn't really mean anything (as this rating doesn't transfer very well) and the other one I have is from and old Nissan Patrol :D

Also is there a field of view or equivalent rating for these lenses (as in the size and range of the beam).
    Just talking to someone I know who deals with high powered LED's for mountain biking (Helmet mount), wondering if they'd be applicable to this application, I don't se many marketed for this purpose. And they seem to be just as good if not more powerful than alot of spots.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe a small HID light ? or the smallish lights (not a flash) for cameras ?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Yeah, I have a LED LENSER torch. Its about twice the size of a shotgun cartridge that gives out massive laser luminecence, (the guy in the shop says you can can signal a plane in, but he would would'nt he), in any case I was going to give it a go on some bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Let us know how it goes for you, I'd be interested to see what kind of range and beam it has and if they are really any good for this.

Tried it last night, not great, we managed to get a couple of bunnies and called a fox into range but didnt get a shot. The LED Lenser is a great torch and a must for crossing ditches, cleaning animals etc but I would not reccomend it for shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Have a look at the Surefire range of torches. They also produce tactical models which can be mounted on a rail.

You can buy them here http://www.heinnie.com/ also has specs inc. Lumen rating:D

• Advertisement

Oh yea I saw their "tactical" rail mountable lights alright... you can even mount it on an AR-15, that product's not aimed at your average fox shooter methinks :rolleyes:
    I was trying to rate a "real" lamp against those things and their equivalents.
    Thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Would head lights be any good to ya?

Saw an article for the "Debens Tracer Pro Beam head lamp"
    that comes with belt mounted battery pack.80,000 candle power
    4 hr run time with xenon bulb. Its also got an led light from when
    you want to use less power that has 50 hour battery life. Comes
    with a red filter, article says its good for 50-75 yards.

~B

Just something I was interested in looking at really Bullets, I'm ok for lights at the moment, but I'm always up for building stuff ;)

The LED Lenser range would be ideal as a tactical beam i.e attached to a pistol or assault rifle and used for killing bad guys in a dark building but the fox lamp is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

ive been lamping since i was 7years of age with my brothers and the best lamps we have ever used is LighForce Austrilans use them for dingo shooting at distances of up to 600yards i myself have a 9million candle power beast of a one and i can see clear as day at 300yards with a leupold 4-16x50

http://www.lightforce.net.au/

• Advertisement
Advertisement