Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a new build

Options
  • 04-10-2007 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Skt Socket 775 Motherboard iP965. I want a new system instead of upgrading my old system. Was going to buy a quad core or dual core processor but I am unsure as to which is better. I see on Komplett that the Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz is more expensive than the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz .. which is the better processor. Also is it worth the extra £145 (Im in the UK) for the Q6700 2.7GHz?

I also need some RAM ... I want to run Vista 64 bit so Im guessing I need 4GB .. My old system runs on 2GB Corsair xms 2 8000UL 1000MHz .. Whats the best for money I can get? I mean best value for money :)

I also have a sapphire x1900xt .. I want to play the latest direct x 10 games so recommend me an upgrade.

I was going to order a Thermaltake Toughpower W0117 750W PSU .. is it good enough or do I need a more power?

Currently have a Thermaltake Kandalf Case .. which I like because of the space but I would like a different case this time .. maybe not as big but something that looks nice and not too expensive.

I have 4 Seagate 7200.8 400GB Hard Drives in my old system .. Do I need to upgrade these too? Should I get a Raptor (not sure about the difference .. why are raptors so much better?)

Also should I get a Soundcard .. dont have one in the old system .. just onboard Realtek.

Will need a good dvd burner also

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

In multithreaded applications the q6600 will be faster. And the extra 4mb of cache is handy for games. So go with the q6600. they are very overclockable too.

As for the ram, the same stuff i have is a very good price, and a exceptional performer. And overclocks very well.

As for the cpu, its a bit overkill unless you go for a sli setup. So a 620w hx corsair psu will be perfect. As for a case, why not a antec 900. It will look messy inside, as there is no where to stuff the cables.

www.overclockers.co.uk have a huge range of stuff, same with www.scan.co.uk. I prefere scan because they are alot nicer to deal with. And if you are into music, and high quality audio in games you should certainly go for a creative x-fi or a asus xonar. As for a dvd burner, anything from plextor will fo you.

As for the graphics card, that depends on the screen size, if you only have a small 17-19" monitor then a 320mb 8800gts or 2900pro will do you. If you have say a 20" widescreen then a 8800gts 640mb or a 2900xt. But if you have a 22" or bigger then you will be needing a 8800gtx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

the monitor I have is the Sony MFM-HT205 21 inch Widescreen lcd Tv/Monitor. So do you think I need the 8800GTX and if so which is the best .. so many of them to choose from. What about the hard drives? Any advice there m8? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Also ... my motherboard says it supports ddr2 800 ram .. does that it mean it cant run faster memory or it will just slow it down 800MHz? It also says that it supports 1.8v memory but the Ballistix PC6400 memory I wanted to buy is 2.1V ... is that a problem? Do I have to get memory that is 1.8V .. if so could anyone recommend some? Thanks

Advertisement