Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cllr. Richard Butler screws his own people

Options
  • 04-10-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

From Limerick Leader:

RESIDENTS HIT OUT AT COUNCILLOR'S SOCIAL HOUSING DEAL
    By CLODAGH O'LEARY

COUNTY Councillor Richard Butler has defended his controversial move of selling six apartments beside his family home in Dooradoyle to Limerick City Council for social housing, saying that he has "no problem" living next door to Council tenants.
    Dooradoyle Road residents were outraged when it emerged that Fine Gael Cllr Butler had sold the property to City Council for a sum of €1.5m.

This follows a mass buy-up of private suburban housing by both the County and City Councils in recent months, which has caused unease amongst existing residents.

Kieran Lehane, City Hall's director of service of housing confirmed that the contract has been signed, but could not say how long it would be before the Council tenants would be moving in.

When contacted by the Leader on Wednesday morning Cllr Butler, who is currently in Spain, refused to be drawn on the issue, saying: "I have no comment to make on private matters, I will comment on political matters, but not private ones. I will file my taxes at the end of the year and people can see what I have done then."

A source close to Cllr Butler told the Leader: "The apartments were on the market for about two and a half years but were not selling. He made an offer to Limerick County Council but they declined it, he was facing huge interest rates and had to sell them."

When contacted again on Wednesday afternoon Cllr Butler said that while he would not comment on private business matters, he said: "My family residence is located beside these apartments, I have no problem living beside them."

Reacting to news of the sale this Wednesday, one female Dooradoyle Road resident said she was very disappointed in Cllr Butler.
    "I had heard rumours about the sale, but didn't realise the deal had gone through. I am extremely worried about who will move in to these apartments. Richard Butler spends most of his time in Spain now, he won't be affected by what goes on here," the woman claimed.

A man who lives in Oakleigh Wood, beside the apartments, said he was "fearful" about the possibility of trouble once people moved into the estate.
    "This is a quiet area, and we are very worried that a certain element will be housed in those apartments, changing the area irreparably. There are houses going for sale around here starting at €500,000 and then we have these apartments who will be given to people," the man, who did not wish to be named, said.
    04 October 2007

To make things worse I have family ties with this prat! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Thats the start of it now....Soon all the well established areas of Limerick City will have there own local Scumbags with their free housing!....Disgrace,

Affordable Housing is bad, Social Housing is alot worse..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

CoDy1 wrote:
    Thats the start of it now....Soon all the well established areas of Limerick City will have there own local Scumbags with their free housing!....Disgrace,

Yeah. Down with people who cannot afford ridiculously over-priced homes.:rolleyes:

What do you guys suggest ? Move them out to the sticks and give them a few tents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Yeah. Down with people who cannot afford ridiculously over-priced homes.:rolleyes:

What do you guys suggest ? Move them out to the sticks and give them a few tents ?

If I want a house I have to go out get a mortgage and buy it.

I have no problem with affordable houses being given to genuine people in need of them and who will appreciate them. But some of these people who are given nice houses in nice areas and their rent paid for them, wreck the house and participate in anti-social behaviour. They are then eventually moved on to a different house in another area by Social Services where they do the same again. They are usually the ones at the top of the affordable housing list.

Imo you should get one chance, if you mess it up, you get evicted. A few nights living on a cold street might show them the errors of their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The problem is, its Social Housing - which is where these people who can't be bothered to work get a free house, which pisses me off, why should I have to work my arse off to pay for my house and the neighbours next door get their house payed for by me and the rest of us !?!

Affordable housing is housing that is subsidised so that it is a cheaper price for people who can't afford it - at least these people have to work to pay a mortgage- like the rest of us.

I see nothing wrong with your tents idea, might be the kick up the arse the need. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Duiske_Lad wrote:

There are two sides to the argument , what about the people that live beside them and have to hold down two jobs to be able to afford the same house ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

A good start would be to get more strict on who gets the dole
    and housing.

If someone has a dis-ability, a health issue, is too old or can cant work
    or has a genuine reason to be on the dole I think nobody would have an
    issue with that. If the same people get housed and any area of Limerick
    I also dont think too many people with have an issue with that either.

Its the people that abuse the system that are on the dole long term
    for no good reason and that dont even try to get a job are part of the problem.
    There appears to be way to many wasters that abuse the system and
    dont have an interest in working at all. I have known people on the dole
    for years who could not be arsed. Every time you'd go into the pub
    they would be sitting down drinking talking about all their master
    plans of working and making money from their own business
    and in the same breath trying to borrow a fiver or asking you to
    shout them a pint. They leech off the system every so often
    they get a letter saying look for a job or do a Fas course they make up some
    sort of excuse and get left alone for another few months and the cycle continues.

If anyone has ever been around the dole office on signing day is a joke,
    people driving to the dole office in nice looking cars to sign?
    young people that look like they have no good reason to be needing to sign on.
    Saying you cant get a job is not good enough.
    (I feel sorry for people that have to work in the dole office they get some abuse)

People may say I could be out of work sometime and may need the dole!
    but realistically even if I was out of work, I would try and get another job,
    and if something happened with me health wise Family looks after their own.
    I cant see a situation ever happening where I would lower my dignity enough
    to resort to the dole.

I see some houses in the general area where I live which appear to have
    dole'ers living there, How do they afford cars and satellite TV on the dole?

I see people I work with starting out in life trying to get an apartment or
    rent a house and they are getting charge 900 Euros a month for something basic.
    You then see wasters moving into the same areas getting a furnished house.

I dont know what the story is now, but say someone living at home with two working
    parents went to try and get the Dole they would probably get little or feck all.

~B

Yep there are two types in this world. Those who pay into the system and those who milk it dry. Your either one or the other, there is no inbetween imo.

I'm paying through the skin of my teeth for a house. It makes me sick when I see these wasters with their hands out taking everything and spending the week down the local on a stool giving out about all the foreigners taking our jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I wouldn't mind the wasters so much if they're only wasters.

It's the wasters that are also criminals that I'm really worried about.

Butler won't be getting a vote from me in the next local elections, that is if he decides to bother coming back from Spain to run for election.

He'll probably just live it up in Spain with the profits from the €1.5m sale and get a few hand-outs from his millionaire brother Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Am I missing something here? Isn't Dooradoyle in County Limerick (hence the County Hall next to the Crescent SC)?
    How can he sell apts in the county to the city council?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They are his own private enterprise, therefore he can sell them to whoever he likes.

they are not county council owned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Yeah, but do Limerick CITY Council have the right to house tenants in COUNTY Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Mid western health board have been moving scumbags all over the place for yearsas far as shannon even, no reason why limerick council can't do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Aw - the poor, downtrodden Limerick-heads, they have been unsucessfully looking for work for the past 80 years; generation after generation of Horse riding Commanches with a chip on both shoulders and no hope of ever finding work - or any other prospects - they need the dole and the free houses and multiple other benefits week on week for life - all paid for by that chunk of your paycheck......So they can rob your car, assault your kids and generally be in your face.........

........Although it has to be said that the Eastern Europeans seem to land a job 15-20 minutes after their plane touches down on an Irish airport :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Pikasso wrote:
    Yeah, but do Limerick CITY Council have the right to house tenants in COUNTY Limerick?

there are nearly 400 city council owned houses in county limerick in a place called moyross

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm not normally one to defend the opposition, but what business of anyone's is it if a councillor or anyone else owned the building. It now belongs to the council and I'm sure the residents will have no qualms about having offending tenants removed.

It's not just scumbags who live in council houses and yes...they DO have to pay rent, small and all as it might be! You people should come off your high horses and hope that you never default on your mortgages and have to apply for council housing!! It's demoralising enough to be unemployed without upper class scumbags with jobs pointing and making sarcy comments tarring everyone who lives in council housing or everyone unemployed with the same brush.

ninty9er wrote:
    It's not just scumbags who live in council houses and yes...they DO have to pay rent, small and all as it might be! You people should come off your high horses and hope that you never default on your mortgages and have to apply for council housing!! It's demoralising enough to be unemployed without upper class scumbags with jobs pointing and making sarcy comments tarring everyone who lives in council housing or everyone unemployed with the same brush.

Most people who have posted here do not have a problem with people who are geniunely entitled to sociable housing.

I think what most people are saying is there is a certain element out there who have never wanted to work or have any intention of looking for work who are happy to collect their dole, are handed these houses including having the rent paid for them. They wreck the place, participate in anti-social behaviour and are usually moved on to another area to do the exact same thing. These people are usually put in houses right next door to genuine people who have to go out and earn a living to pay for their house. While the people who are genuinely in need of sociable housing are stuck on a long waiting list. Hardly a fair system.

When the current system gives these spungers everything they need for nothing why would they want to go out and find a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

I think people should wait and see who actually moves into the apartments first.

Where exactly is this anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Pikasso wrote:
    Am I missing something here? Isn't Dooradoyle in County Limerick (hence the County Hall next to the Crescent SC)?
    How can he sell apts in the county to the city council?
    Not only in Limerick county but all the way to kanturk in Co. Cork. One troublesome family was relocated there because of problems in the city.

Advertisement