Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nobody rates Andy Gray?

• 04-10-2007 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Just reading through the Dunphy thread, and I was surprised by the amount of criticism Gray gets.

I like him, both as a commentator and as a pundit. I genuinely love his Sunday evening show 'The Last Word'. It only lasts for 30 mins but I could watch it for 2 hours. You don't really see pundits breaking down the intricate movements involved in the goals. Hansen does it sometimes, Giles used to do it (though I haven't seen it in a long time) and Dunphy does nothing of the sort. Sometimes Gray gets too nitpicky, but overall I enjoy his analysis.

Am I the only one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He sounds good because he's always so convinced he's right.

But when you listen to what he's saying he's either spouting the bleedin' obvious or completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He's caught up in the Sky Best League In The World Premiership TM (C) spin machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Can't stand him. Last year Jamie Redknapp was in the studio with Gullit and Souness. Gray was on the big screen from his commentary box. He was talking about tactics and he said something like "Ruud and Graeme might know what I'm talking about but Jamie mightn't". He was being 100% serious. Last night he made a joke about Redknapp and there wasn't the slightest smirk on Jamie's face. Watch out for it from now on between them. :)

He claimed last night that he had "a little bit of flu". He wouldn't be sitting in a commentary box if he had the flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

If i was a man u fan i'd like him. He's obsessed with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

cson wrote:
    He's caught up in the Sky Best League In The World Premiership TM (C) spin machine.
    caught up? he's helped spin it.

• Advertisement

yayamark wrote:
    If i was a man u fan i'd like him. He's obsessed with them.

He's obsessed with Steven Gerrard. "Oooooohhhhhh ya beauty!" & "take a boo son take a boo (bow)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

cson wrote:
    He's obsessed with Steven Gerrard. "Oooooohhhhhh ya beauty!" & "take a boo son take a boo (bow)"

In fairness - they were two fairly exceptional moments. He is a toffee and has zero time for Liverpool in general, sometimes people are just forced to marvel at wat Gerrard can do.

I hate Gray btw, i swear to god, the whole rotation/Gerrard in the middle thing has me pretty close to not watching Sky anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I like him too........I think him and either Martin Tyler or The Parry fella are very good at commentating matches...........absolutely despise George hamilton and Ray "Mr Negative" Hougthon.

Champions league nights ill watch the sky coverage of the game and then turn to RTE for the analysis.........ya can't beat Dunphy, Giles and Brady......esp if pool or man u are beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I hate the way he always looks into the camera when he's being interviewed or asked for analysis. Really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hate the way he always looks into the camera when he's being interviewed or asked for analysis. Really annoying.
    I think he got this from American TV.

I watched some of the WC last summer in the US and A on ESPN I think, and EVERY pundit over there was at this.

It is highly irritating alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

There is nobody worse than George Graham when it comes to this. Even when hes not talking he puts on this slightly vacant stare with a hint of a smile and just looks unblinkingly right at the camera.

He's just looking deeply into Pigheads eyes when he does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I actually really enjoy Andy Gray's analysis, I think he's a reallly good commentator, he and Martin Tyler make a great team I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pighead wrote:
    There is nobody worse than George Graham when it comes to this. Even when hes not talking he puts on this slightly vacant stare with a hint of a smile and just looks unblinkingly right at the camera.

Ha ha yes! Standing behind that podium staring at you. Quite creepy.

As for Gray, the guy is such a bluffer. He talks like he knows the game but he sprouts an awful amount of sh1te. Can't stand him. Gimme Hansen any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    You will never hear him predict anything before it happens.
    Are we expecting pundits to be soothsayers now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

wow, another punditry thread, people love their pundits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

the worst is how after watching a decision ten times in super slo mo, he will then say teh referee got it wrong and thats a big mistake

well it can be easy to see if you've watched it that much

event wrote:
    the worst is how after watching a decision ten times in super slo mo, he will then say teh referee got it wrong and thats a big mistake

well it can be easy to see if you've watched it that much
    Yep, and then everyone else jumps on what he said and starts slating the refs, players etc. It's gone beyond a joke.

People need to realise that referees don't have the benefit of ten, five, two or even one camera angles, slo-mo replays or Andy Grey in their ear.

Yes, referees might not see an incident as we do on TV, he may have been looking in a different direction, SO might the Linesman.

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    Yes, thats what i said :rolleyes:

People who predict things before they happen usually have some form of gift, a gift which I'm sure Andy Gray doesn't possess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

DesF wrote:
    People who predict things before they happen usually have some form of gift, a gift which I'm sure Andy Gray doesn't possess.

I throw a ball into the air and then predict that it will fall to the ground.

Do i have some sort of gift ??

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

opr wrote:
    I throw a ball into the air and then predict that it will fall to the ground.

Do i have some sort of gift ??

Opr
    If what you say is true, then yes, yes you do. PM me immediately and we'll discuss terms and conditions. You're gonna need a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Andy Gray is a fool. He described Liverpool's performance last night as average. It was anything but.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't particularly like him as a commentator anyway.

In fairness - they were two fairly exceptional moments.

^^Agree totally^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

He's a complete tosser! If you ever listen to his commentary during a repeat, you can hear the amount of mistakes he makes.

I remember being at Anfield a few years ago and waiting for the players to come out of the dressing rooms, Robbie Fowler, Jamie Redknapp, Bruce G (yes it's a few years ago), Stevie Nicholl, and the likes, all stopped to give autographs even though they had just come out of a terrible 0-0 draw with Palace. Andy Gray came out and a small handful of people went to him for autographs but he just walked on and totally ignored them. You'd have thought it was him that had just got the bolloxing from Souness and not the players that stopped.

He's a true blue and never had time for the Red side of Liverpool and he showed that with his disrespect for the fans.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

We have a drinking game in the local that revolves around Gray doing this, the rules are every time he stares into your soul you have to down half your pint, when hes on form it can lead to wuite messy nights.

Last season he was allways at the soul staring but I think the producers must have told him to cut it out a bit as he doesnt do it nearly as much this year, its still quite unnerving when hes at it though. I think Monkey hands must have been told to wax that **** as well as he appears allmost homosapien these days.

As for Jamie Redknapp, Im going to start an email campaign to get rid of this idiot off TV, honestly is there no one better out there? He exhibits a complete lack of understanding of the most fundamental parts of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

in fairness there's some good understanding him and the co-commentators at times, but everything he says is just stating the bleeding obvious. there's no tactical analysis worth a cent. He will never be overly critical about a player even if they deserve it and so on. He's overly pro-english (typical of British analysis but is some-what bizarre seeing as he's a scot), hasn't a notion about the European sides when commentating on them week in week out (again typical though), often fails to recognise a cynical foul as a cynical foul and as such he's always giving out about the refs when they don't deserve it. i always thought he had a bias in favour of Chelsea at times. and then in the studio there's the looking at the camera as if he wants to rape you, the awful lines sounding like they were written by an amateur script writer 5 mins ago that are aimed at people with nothing higher than a mental age of 12, and then just cliché after cliché...

*shudders at the thought*

there are worse, i'll give you that. but then Gray just has a more repulsive character imo. not the "Dunphy, you outrageous f*cking muppet" repulsiveness, more the the "Pat, you sly patronising c*nt" repulsiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eirebhoy wrote:
    Can't stand him. Last year Jamie Redknapp was in the studio with Gullit and Souness. Gray was on the big screen from his commentary box. He was talking about tactics and he said something like "Ruud and Graeme might know what I'm talking about but Jamie mightn't". He was being 100% serious. Last night he made a joke about Redknapp and there wasn't the slightest smirk on Jamie's face. Watch out for it from now on between them.

He claimed last night that he had "a little bit of flu". He wouldn't be sitting in a commentary box if he had the flu.

You can notice a bit of it here for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think Monkey hands must have been told to wax that **** as well as he appears allmost homosapien these days.

Laser hair removal. Sky bosses had him do it becuase the hairy hands didn't look good on High Definition, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

who is better than him? how people can say amyone from rte is better or itv is a joke. sky have the best set-up, best presenters, best people talking about the game after (well except redknapp). yea they can be annoying but Id watch that anyday over the crap that comes out on rte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Gray is quality, ignore the Dunphyites... they were searching for Catchphrase on the telly and ran into football ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

evad_lhorg wrote:
    sky have the best set-up,

After pumping so much money into the premier league that would be kinda expected ? As for commentary/analysis .. After 50 different camera angles one would expect Gray to call the decision eventually.He offers little to no insightfullness to the games he is covering in any sense , everything is 'buy the product that is sky type' analysis with very little objectivity towards poor performances from english players.To me he is nothing but a pawn 'in chess terms' who adds nothing to our viewing pleasure but who gives his all to promote what he is paid to do.Controversial analysis and sky sports football don't mix in any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Jazzy wrote:
    Gray is quality

lol, did you listen to the shte he talked at all in the video Joe posted? it's tabloid stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Don't mind jazzy in any sense.If he thinks anyone who doesn't watch skys coverage doesnt know anything about football, well the conclusion is kinda clear me thinks.Either a weak attempt at trolling or someone talking shíte.Jazzy of all should know commentary/coverage/analysis means fook all when watching football.We see the same game and come to our own conclusions of what we saw regardless of the commentary/coverage/analysis.One would think a live game on sky/rte/tv3 and even tg4 would show the same 90 minutes ???

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You can notice a bit of it here for sure.

Wow. If anyone wants to know why Andy Gray is a rubbish pundit, they should watch that. It epitomises the way he says loads but offers absolutely nothing insightful.

He was digging a hole for himself in that clip, Stevie Finnan "isn't the best defender in the world"????

Advertisement