Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Project Car , Oh No !

Options
  • 04-10-2007 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭

Hello folks , im a Big car fan and have been around them all my life , i recently came into some money and im looking for a car to buy to restore or repair ( and keep as a show car or whatever , as you'd expect )

though theres some slight issues.....

nobody knows the value of a car anymore

example : mini cooper 1991 shell , every except engine , rusty body , needs paint - 7000 euro

ive had very bad exp over that last few weeks trying to find a decent motor...

id pref get a car free but we are all money grabbing ego-manics !

id much apriciate if someone could help me out here... cause id like to buy/take away free an old banger and make it into a classic :D ( please note: by classic i mean a modern classic , not an old bmw or something really expensive like that )

regards - Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You'd need to be a tad more specific. Are you looking for a 40 year old car, or a 10 year old car, big or small, fast or slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

S.I.R wrote:
    Hello folks , im a Big car fan and have been around them all my life , i recently came into some money and im looking for a car to buy to restore or repair ( and keep as a show car or whatever , as you'd expect )

though theres some slight issues.....

nobody knows the value of a car anymore

example : mini cooper 1991 shell , every except engine , rusty body , needs paint - 7000 euro

ive had very bad exp over that last few weeks trying to find a decent motor...

id pref get a car free but we are all money grabbing ego-manics !

id much apriciate if someone could help me out here... cause id like to buy/take away free an old banger and make it into a classic :D

regards - Ben

Might have more luck over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=514.

Lots of topics already covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

I came across a lancia montecarlo recently. It's a complete car, and if you know how to weld, all panels are available.700 euro seemed like a good price. It's a rare model with factory wide arch kit. I thought about it, but it's just a bit too much work at the moment, but it would be nice to see somebody saving it from the tin worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

im not a picky person though for some reason , all the responses i got where for bmw's... not a bad thing but i only got 2000 so i cant afford to restore one ( even a crappy e36 1.6 )

id prefare like 2 old puntos or anything like that so i have a decent base but if worst comes to worst ill go to the local breakers yard and see What they have :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how are you set up for tools/space/ability?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    how are you set up for tools/space/ability?

eh car would most likly be outside my house , my bro is a mechanic and will lend me tools and everything i need to know , as for space... i got room for 2 cars and theres none there yet.

i have a little outdoor tent ( about 10-12 feet long by 14 feet ) to cover the car and/or a car cover left over from my dads old beemer.. :)

though if i really get stuck for space ( which i wont ) i know a guy with an empty lock-up which i could talk into letting me use...

As you can see , i have all this figured out ;)

I'd suggest something like a MK2 Golf or Pug 205, plenty parts out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Nissan Micra K10 (1983-1993)?

VERY easy car to work on. Plenty of Haynes manuals out on eBay too to help with the job.

It'll still be a Micra at the end of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Beetle??

• Advertisement

for 2 grand?

ive seen many a pg 205 around but you cant get a complete car ( non rally wreaked ) for 2000 or under...

if anyone see's any cheap cars in the local area ( in dublin... ) would be pretty handy.. i check all the norm websites but theres nothing worth looking at :(

don't mean to double post but jeez ill i get is time wasters... :(

really want something to work on... im not spending money buying a car because it only causes grief with the thiefing curb side dealerships :(

anyone got a car they want removed... or if they see any local would be of much use....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ah keep the faith S.I.R, you'll find somthing

Charade?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=816485

Astra?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=754014

Another Astra?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=804444

But i say that you'd be better sticking to Jap cars, easy to maintain and work on, consider a old Civic (i may be reading into your username to much there) but keep an eye on the buy and sell sub 1K and the freebee section. let us know how ya get on!

-VB-

i had a look at that charade in person... must have looked at most cars on carzone.ie... not a bad car but would be better off driven by a poor student...

as for the civic... not a bad idea i rang a few people and could get 2 or more but just wanna make sure i see all my options first... but haven said that ive been looking for ages...

as for my name... theres no Actual connection , my user name is an abbreviation of my email

its so eazy to spend money but just want to be sure that i didn't spend money on a junker of a bucket rather then a repairable bucket :)

guess ill just keep the faith :(

slight bump , got a Saab 9000 CS ( non turbo )

if i get a hold of a camera ill dump some pictures here

good job, how's she for NCT etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

S.I.R wrote: »
    slight bump , got a Saab 9000 CS ( non turbo )

if i get a hold of a camera ill dump some pictures here

Nice! what vintage? 2.3 or 2.0?

Whats your plans for the bardge S.I.R?:D
    -VB-

no nct as its been off the road for 2 years but the log book and service book are mint. serviced around every 12.5 thousand miles with no bad crash's in its history

" tested it " and it drives like a dream

not too bad for a freebie

the plans are as follows:

full service

Full valet

new clutch

set of saab 95 ( new model ) alloys

decent set of speakers/radio

then ill just wait till i can drive it... :mad:

also its a 2.0 cs non turbo... good for insurance and mpg.. car has alot of tourqe for a fwd 2l though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lets see a photo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

I know you got something but just saw this on Adverts!
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=29316&cat=2

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I know you got something but just saw this on Adverts!
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=29316&cat=2

I hate you.... ;)

ill get a photo i i can get a lend of a digital camera.... its got 2 flat tyres so i have to sort them out before a photo is taken ;)

quick update... cars still off the road , local travellers stole a wheel off it so now its for sale...

Advertisement