Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oracle sql plus making an existing primary key auto_increment

Options
  • 04-10-2007 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Can I change an existing primary key in a table to auto_increment?

The table has nothing in it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

there's no such thing as an auto-increment field in oracle. you can use a sequence to simulate an auto-increment field though.

*edit* the above information is good up to Oracle 9. After that I dont have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Beano is correct in that there is no auto_incrememnt feature directly implemented in Oracle.

I did, however, run a quick google on "oracle auto_increment" and the second hit returned gives a decent workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Beano wrote:
    *edit* the above information is good up to Oracle 9. After that I dont have a clue

Yip, same in 10.

As the chaps are saying. You need a trigger and a sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You just need to create a sequence, then call sequencename.nextval in your field to use it. (or currval to check what it is)

Giblet wrote:
    You just need to create a sequence, then call sequencename.nextval in your field to use it. (or currval to check what it is)

Then how does it auto-increment upon an update?

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote:
    Then how does it auto-increment upon an update?

Why would you want it to auto-increment on an update?

bonkey wrote:
    Why would you want it to auto-increment on an update?

Doh! Insert is of course what I meant.

I think what Giblet is describing is how to use a sequence to provide the functionality....which is fine if you have control over who can run inserts and make sure that this technique is always used.

If you do it with a sequence inside a before-insert trigger, then it doesn't matter who runs inserts, nor how.

Advertisement