Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin problem

Options
  • 04-10-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Hope this is the right section for this.

In my previous accommodation we had bins collected by "Country Clean Recyclers". At the start of the year we bought the bins from them as part of paying for their services for a year.
    Now, we moved out in September so we called Country Clean and asked them to take the bins back. They wouldn't, under any circumstances take them. So we contacted the letting agency in charge of the house and asked would they let us know if the new tenants wanted to keep them for themselves. We had been in contact with the agency several times over the last month (deposits and stuff) and nothing was mentioned of the bins so we left it at that.
    Fast forward to today, the current tenants are complaining about the bins and we need to deal with it. As annoyed as I am with the agency for leaving it a month to tell us, it is technically our responsibility.
    So does anyone have any suggestions what to do? How do people generally dispose of their old bins?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you paid for a years service when you bought the bin- surely there are still 3 months to run on the contract, irrespective of who is filling the bins?

What is the current tenants issue with recycling bins? Surely its an excellent way of minimising the amount of rubbish that goes into the main bin, and thus keeps their charges down?

I don't understand what the problem is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Sorry, should have been clearer. I meant start of the lease which was a year ago so it has expired now.
    I don't know what the tenants problem is. They need bins. How else are they going to dispose of their rubbish.
    Right now it's just a pain for us cos there is rubbish in the bins, we have no way of getting them collected/emptied (none of us live near there anymore) and then hauled away to where ever it is you haul old bins to. It's a ridiculous situation made more ridiculous by the fact that Country Clean don't take their bins back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Part of a landlords duties include assuring that there are refuse collection services available for their tenants (not necessarily paying for them though......) If these tenants do not take up Country Clean on their offer- what are their alternates? Also- despite the fact that you find it strange- in most cases companies would have no reason to collect their bins when contract ends. There would be an expectation that it would be continued- or if the price of the bin was included in the original contract that the purchaser would dispose of it. Tbh- disposal would probably entail landfill, which is quite ridiculous. I'd get on to the PRTB at this stage- as I really do not think that it is your duty. Advise the Letting Agency that if they do not deal with it, that you will see them at a PRTB hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Okay,
    Thank you for your replies. I think I will contact Threshold and explain the situation in full to them and see what they say.

I see what you're saying about companies not having a reason to take bins back but do they not think they could reuse it for new customers and save themselves money! Landfill is just a crazy option. Anyway, that's a discussion for another thread :-)

Thanks for the help,
    Bacchus

Advertisement