Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilising bottles?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I know the ones we bought almost a year ago all have this airflow thingy. If you look at the bottom of the teat you should see 3 little things around the rim. Basically what they do is let air into the bottle so that the baby doesnt have to suck as hard. I personally dont know if they do help reduce colic because our little one never had it, but they would make it easier to get the milk out with minimum effort. You know its working when you see air bubbles coming up through the milk from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CHELSEA-H-L

I only sterilised my daughters bottles till she was 2 and a half months because she got thrush in her mouth and my doctor told me it was from the steriliser.

He said that once they were washed in warm water she would be fine and if I was sure ta boil them in a pot and thats was also fine that I didn't need to put them in the sterilise unit with the solution. (sorry bad the bad spellin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I only sterilised my daughters bottles till she was 2 and a half months because she got thrush in her mouth and my doctor told me it was from the steriliser.

He said that once they were washed in warm water she would be fine and if I was sure ta boil them in a pot and thats was also fine that I didn't need to put them in the sterilise unit with the solution. (sorry bad the bad spellin)

Oral thrush is a fungal infection that the baby would have contracted in the birth canal, and can only be gotten rid of with anti-fungal drugs. She certainly wouldn't have caught it from a sterilised teat. Sometimes breastfed babies can continue to re-infect themselves with thrush - this is because the breast isn't sterile. A bottle teat, sterilised properly, will not re-infect an infant with oral thrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

if I was sure ta boil them in a pot and thats was also fine that I didn't need to put them in the sterilise unit with the solution.

But boiling them is sterilising them, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If they are boiled long enough then they will be sterilised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

What are peoples views on pre making 5 or 6 bottles and storing them in the fridge, the milk container says that they should be make to order, this isnt very practical though. Can you imagine having to steralise 1 bottle, boil kettle, make feed, cool bottle with a hungry screaming baby in your arms.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

We used to make up the bottles with water, after they had cooled we would add the formula as we needed a feed. This worked really well for us as babs was used to bottles at room temperature (handy when you're out & about).

I think the general consensus on this has changed since 2004 though & the above is not really recommended.
    I suppose you could check with PHN or GP

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Hi Riri,

Where did you store the bottles of water until you needed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

xabi wrote: »
    Hi Riri,

Well we boil water in the kettle and then put it into a thermal flask. When the baby cries, we just put the water into a sterilised bottle (we store them in a closet, as light stimulates the growth of bacteria) and add the formula. Then we just let it cool down in a container of cold water. This works fine, as it cools down while we change the nappies.

Or we cook fennel tea, especially for babies from German company Hipp, and then let the tea cool down and store the sterilised bottle with the tea in the fridge. When the baby cries we heat up the bottle in the avent bottle warmer and add the formula once it is lurk warm. Since we use fennel tea, all colics are gone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

We make up the bottles for just under 24 hours worth of feed at once, we also use the water bottles when out to mix with the formula. A while back we decided to make all the days bottles water and mix when needed which worked well for a while but this led to a problem i noticed after a short while. While washing the days bottles I found bits of the formula congealed together which had not dissolved properly and I linked this to mixing the formula with slightly warmed water as opposed to slightly cooled boiled water, I just don't think it mixed as well if you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

It seems to change all the time! When my son was born in 2001, you were supposed to sterilise until they were 6 months old. When my first daughter was born in 2003, you had to sterilise up to one year old. In both cases, you made up your feeds and could keep them in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
    Then daughter no.2 was born last year. Now you still sterilise up to one year old, but you must not make up the feed until ready to feed baby - you can no longer keep bottles in the fridge. This would have driven me demented, breastfeeding is SO much easier (once you get the baby latched on, that is)!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

In a few years we'll be leaving hospitals with these "hamster balls" to keep the kids in for the first five years.

nesf wrote: »
    In a few years we'll be leaving hospitals with these "hamster balls" to keep the kids in for the first five years.
    :D:D Actually, that wouldn't surprise me!

I just remembered something that happened when I was 12 and my brother was 3-months-old. I came home from school, and my mother went to the hairdressers leaving me to mind little brother. She was breastfeeding, and she told me she'd be back in half an hour, long before he was due next feed. After a few minutes, he started to cry and I walked up and down with him trying to soothe him. But it didn't work and he got hysterical. With no way of contacting Mum, I remembered there was an old bottle in the cupboard (5 years old, belonged to older brother!). In desperation, I took it out, washed it as well as I could (there wasn't a bottle cleaner!), then heated up some (cow's) milk in a saucepan and put it into the bottle. My poor brother devoured the bottle.
    It was only years later I realised what I did was so wrong, but I had never seen a bottle being prepared. All the same, he didn't get sick or come to any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

xabi wrote: »
    Hi Riri,

Hi

We would let them cool to room temperature just on the counter top- it's probably completely the wrong thing to do though.

Advertisement