Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this sensible?

Options
  • 04-10-2007 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

As some of you may remember, I recently bought an Audi A8 from my brother. Wonderful car, does everything I need, absolutely couldn't fault it. Anyway, about two weeks ago I found a 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet in the UK and decided to buy it with the intention of making a few quid on it here. I picked it up in Southampton on Tuesday, drove it home and have done over 500 miles in it so far. The thing is - and I never thought this would happen - i've fallen for it. I mean fallen for it in the thinking-up-places-I-can-drive-to sense of the word. I'm now seriously considering giving my brother back the A8 (he misses it) and using the 911 as an everyday car. Is this ridiculous? I know we're coming into winter but the heater works perfectly.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Here it is ---it's finally our chance to insult you for a change:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you really want to then go for it.

What are your main concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Mr Magnolia - My main concern, I suppose, is that i'd be swapping a modern safe, comfortable quiet and spacious car for a 21 year old small, noisy, and unsafe one. No power steering, no eight airbags, no ESP, no ABS even. Plus, the Porsche is worth quite a bit more than the A8 so that's maybe 8 grand more out of my pocket if I keep it. From a practical point of view, the Audi has to win hands down. On the other hand, I drove out to VRT in Tallaght yesterday morning and still loved the Porsche, even in the p1ssings of rain on the M50.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Can you hold off for another while and see how you get on with the Porsche?

If your mind is made up though...

Can you hold off for another while and see how you get on with the Porsche?
    That's what my g/f reckons too! I suppose I could just lend my brother the A8 until he finds himself a new car, and do a slow sell on the Porsche while driving it. At the end of the day I did buy it to make money, not as a toy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

A friend of mine had a similar experience with an 911SC, '81 I think.

Took it for a test drive, fell in love with it, traded in his merc ML, drove it for 2 months spun it on 2 roundabouts, facing into oncoming traffic both times, it was mildly damp, not going too fast, scared the sh1t out of himself, sold it and bought a Range Rover!

I know there's 2 sides to it- profit and a little indulgence but are you ever worried about buying a car for profit and end up being lumbered with it cos no one wants it that wouldn't go to the UK themselves??

I ask cos I have a little nest egg that might show a profit if I picked up the right car. Maybe an E46 320d touring? Fear of selling it on is holding me back and it's nothing like as exotic as a 911.

Apologies fo slight thread drift:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Told you so, Anan1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Victor_M wrote:
    A friend of mine had a similar experience with an 911SC, '81 I think.

Took it for a test drive, fell in love with it, traded in his merc ML, drove it for 2 months spun it on 2 roundabouts, facing into oncoming traffic both times, it was mildly damp, not going too fast, scared the sh1t out of himself, sold it and bought a Range Rover!

I know of one spun into the oncoming lane on a straightish road (no damage ) , did a bit of poking at it afterwards and found muppet mechanic had went playing with ride height bolts ( upsetting corner weights) when swapping shocks the day before ==> it was like a chair with one short leg.
    Other trivia , there is a Ω -shaped spring under the gearbox under a good bit of tension , don't go poking at it without clamps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

James Dean! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

unkel wrote:
    Told you so, Anan1 :D
    In fairness, you did!:)
    cantdecide wrote:
    I know there's 2 sides to it- profit and a little indulgence but are you ever worried about buying a car for profit and end up being lumbered with it cos no one wants it that wouldn't go to the UK themselves??

I ask cos I have a little nest egg that might show a profit if I picked up the right car. Maybe an E46 320d touring? Fear of selling it on is holding me back and it's nothing like as exotic as a 911.
    Always - there's a lot that can go wrong when buying from the UK. Even with experience and lots of care, there's still an element of luck involved. That said, this 911 is just a little bit special - it's not liable for the usual €5,500 or so in VRT. Can anyone guess why?;)

Bushy/Victor - I was fully expecting it to be massively tail-happy & generally skittish in the wet. I'm actually amazed at how well-planted it feels, even on tight, wet roundabouts. It certainly feels a lot safer than the likes of, say, a 205GTI. Maybe i'm just not trying hard enough yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anan1 wrote:
    it's not liable for the usual €5,500 or so in VRT. Can anyone guess why?;)

you've converted it into a van ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

21 years - it's a classic. That'll be €50 VRT please.

Or as colm_mcn said - it's a Van.

jayok wrote:
    21 years - it's a classic. That'll be €50 VRT please.

Or as colm_mcn said - it's a Van.
    Nope, it's 30 years for classic and it's not a van. As I said before, VRT on a 1986 3.2 Carrera Cabriolet would usually be €5,5k.:)

you lived in the UK for a while, or can prove you did?

you fitted hand controls or a swivel seat to it?

colm_mcm wrote:
    you lived in the UK for a while, or can prove you did?

you fitted hand controls or a swivel seat to it?
    No, and no again. Although in a way you're warm.;)

Did you actually register the car in Ireland?

Yes, it's (well it will be shortly) on 86 D plates. Will I tell you, or do you want to keep guessing?:)

Tell me, I have to go to bed now!

• Advertisement

The car was here before, in the mid nineties. It's just going back on it's previous 86 D plate. Clever, eh?:)

will it be actually registered to that number though? won't it have been deregistered when it left the country?

Also if it was 86D, wouldn't this mean it was imported used from the UK before it went to the UK?

colm_mcm wrote:
    will it be actually registered to that number though? won't it have been deregistered when it left the country?

Also if it was 86D, wouldn't this mean it was imported used from the UK before it went to the UK?
    I checked thoroughly before buying, to be honest I wouldn't have bought the car otherwise. I had it examined by the VRO, who issued a letter to Motor Tax requesting that the registration number 86 D 3*** be reactivated. A few more forms, and that's it.

It started life in the UK, came here, went to Jersey, went back to the UK and then I brought it back here. So yes, it was originally imported here used from the UK.

That's brilliant, you'd surely make a good profit on it, assuming you got it at the right money in the UK.

colm_mcm wrote:
    That's brilliant, you'd surely make a good profit on it, assuming you got it at the right money in the UK.
    Now if I could just bring myself to part with it!;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm still stunned your gf has suggested keeping the 911. Where did you get her... I want one of those! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Post up some pics of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    Now if I could just bring myself to part with it!;)

No need. Well not just yet. Drive it for 2 years, keep it in good condition and sell it for what you paid. Win win situation :D

PauloMN wrote:
    I'm still stunned your gf has suggested keeping the 911. Where did you get her... I want one of those! :D
    Not quite, what she actually said was not to give back the Audi.;)
    C_Breeze wrote:
    Post up some pics of it!
    I would but I don't know how.
    unkel wrote:
    No need. Well not just yet. Drive it for 2 years, keep it in good condition and sell it for what you paid. Win win situation :D
    Hmmm. Well I suppose the main thing is there's no need to sell it right now. I mean I haven't even NCTd it yet! Very hard to get an appointment there at the moment, isn't it?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

With all things, you can only pay import duty once no matter what it is.

Hard part may be proving it but with a vehicle its easy.

Advertisement