Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company car eligibility

Options
  • 04-10-2007 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,
    Just selected company car, trim levels etc, really excited - mentioned to company today that I haven't had a full licence for a year, and they are doubtful about whether I can have one. The car was to be leased or contract hired. Does anyone know if this is a legal issue or a company preference?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd guess it's an insurance issue. Do you need the car for work? What are they proposing instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

turbigo wrote:
    Hi all,
    Just selected company car, trim levels etc, really excited - mentioned to company today that I haven't had a full licence for a year, and they are doubtful about whether I can have one. The car was to be leased or contract hired. Does anyone know if this is a legal issue or a company preference?

Thanks for any help.
    what do you mean by you haven't had a licence for a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

what do you mean by you haven't had a licence for a year?
    I think he means he passed his test less than a year ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anan1 wrote:
    I think he means he passed his test less than a year ago.
    Ahhhhhh...

That's quite strange, i can't see there being a big difference between 1 and 2 years of a full licence regarding insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 turbigo

Sorry for rushed post. When hired in July I had my own car, which is now almost ready for scrap. The T&Cs of my contract required a full drivers licence - I passed in May. There was no requirement to own a vehicle, as a company car could be provided. Alternatively I could claim a car allowance of €400 per month. I have now decided to ditch the allowance and take up the company car offer - only to find out there is some doubt about whether, given I have held my licence for only 5 months, I am eligible.
    I am aware that in order to rent a car you need to have held a licence for a full year - I wasn't aware that this applied to leasing arrangements between an employer and a vehicle provider.

Thanks for the previous replies - hope this clarifies things. Incidentally, due to my having been driving for over a year accompanied on a provisional, I have a no claims bonus - so insurance is (only!) €800 a year on current car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you add the €400 a month to the BIK you'll dodge by not having a company car, you'd be doing alright in your own car or a cheapie till next may?

You are right Colm. It would make financial sense - just doing a lot of driving and really wanted reliability and something that was a pleasure to drive - and I am a sucker for anything new and shiny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

get yourself a 90's japanese sporty coupe. good reliability, nice to drive, and you shouldn't lose much in depreciation in the next year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

You can probably also enforce your employment cnotract. If it only says you must have a full icence and you have one, then they are obliged to provide you with the car. Issues with the leasing or insurance companies are their problem and you should not let them weasel out of it if you do indeed want the company car option. At a guess, they can do it for you, only it is going to cost them more than they estimated. But, again, their problem, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

You could also have an option, depending on the insurance company of doing an inhouse driving test or risk assessment by the insurance company. These are sometimes used for high risk drivers or ones with bad records to see if they are still eligible to drive company cars. Ask them is this an option if you feel capable enough.

Internationally hire car companies usually look for 3 years, surprised to hear it could be as low as 1 here. On the other hand some companies dont even require a licence to drive for a living. Ive seen a courier van and an ESB truck both with L-plates - only in Ireland.

MagicMarker - (quote above) - every extra year with full licence and no points/accidents is a step in the right direction as far as insurance is concerned. The first couple of years after passing is the highest risk period for most drivers.

• Advertisement

Thank you all again for your replies. I had a blistering disuscussion with Facilities and HR on the phone today (I work from home and they are in London anyway) Long and short is, time with license is no longer an issue, and (though I won't be doing this) they will allow me to step outside the official UK budget for the car - they accepted prices are higher here.
    Now I must wait 12 weeks for my new baby (or their new baby depending on how you see it).

So Colm, I can pretend to be practical by waiting, and indulge my childish urges too! Seriously though, if I had any financial acumen I would take your advice and buy another cheap car and avoid the BIK etc. I'll give it a couple of years :)

Incidentally, the car is a Volvo C30 - not everyone's idea of a good time I know, but those damn marketing types hoodwinked me......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I have a company car and got it 5 weeks after passing my test (got it Aug 06). No issues with getting it at all

Advertisement