Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Das Boot

• 04-10-2007 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Saw a German submarine alongside Sir John Rogerson's Quay today.

Conning tower bears number S 194.

First time I have ever seen one of these in Dublin !

I don't know if it's open to the public.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Here's a pic of S 174 and the S 914 on a visit to Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1999

uboatszu1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

funny in summer of 04 was sailing with some friends in dublin bay and thought i was seeing things when we saw a sub in the distance , good to finally know I wasn't imagining it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Subs are hard to see, even on the surface. A friend was flying over the Irish Sea once in his Cessna, when he saw a huge wake but no ship. Only when he got really close did he see a sub.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

cp251 wrote:
    Subs are hard to see, even on the surface. A friend was flying over the Irish Sea once in his Cessna, when he saw a huge wake but no ship. Only when he got really close did he see a sub.

I once saw an American nuclear sub coming down the Firth of Clyde , wasn't hard to pick that out :eek: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Image:U17KielerWoche2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I saw a Russian one docked in Tripoli harbour just before the US bombed the place in '84. It wasn't there on the day of the bombing, it had set sail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You can visit a WWII submarine in Gosport. I haven’t been on board but it is meant to be very good. http://www.rnsubmus.co.uk/

There is also a Submarine Escape Training Tank in Gosport, I’m not sure if you can visit it now, but they used to put on a show on a Sunday morning. It is basically a 30m deep tank with various hatches to train submariners how to get out of a submarine.
    http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3097

I have an uncle who was on board Submarines for about four years, he must have been very unpopular as he is about 22 stone, I guess if they had to abandon ship, he would have been the last into the escape hatch in case he got stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Incidentally, I saw a history channel progamme about this guy. He was sponsored by the fenian's to develop a subamrine that could strike at the British. Unfortunately they parted company but his submarine designs were still used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Phillip_Holland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Das Boot u-boat in bavaria film studio.

updated post from yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Saw a German submarine alongside Sir John Rogerson's Quay today.

Conning tower bears number S 194.

First time I have ever seen one of these in Dublin !

I don't know if it's open to the public.

Sorry, only saw this now.

yes, they were over on a visit. I was there last year when two ships of the German fleet had a reception. The ships had their own bars with German beer on the tap. ;)

Very nice. We get these visits approximately once a year.

Best,

Preusse

• Advertisement
Advertisement