Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build not working, help please? Pics of problem included

Options
  • 04-10-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me whats wrong with my new build?

i have all the cables plugged in, but for some reason the motherboard power is coming on, and the power to the hard drives and cd drives isnt working?

i have some pics of the setup, if anyone can tell me if theres anything wrong

any help is appreciated, as I thought it would be as easy as connecting it all up, but i was wrong :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Also, the fan for the power supply is not coming on

One other thing, the actual power button for the PC is not plugged in - if seems that it just puts on leds on the HD's and CD drives. Im just turning it on by the PSU switch - literally the lights on the MOBO come on, but no fans or HD's or CD drives come on

Theres on power cable that says P9 on it, that isnt plugged in, and I tried the power cable with 20 pins plugged into the MOBO and the 24pins plugged into it too - still no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Firstly, you shouldn't just plug everything in & hope it works.

Start with cpu, ram, case pwr switch (yes u need this), 24 pin power, 8 pin power, case speaker (this needed also) & cpu cooler & power on. Should get a warning beep tellin u that u got no gpu installed. Then add gpu & power on again letting it POST (power on self tests). Then 1 by 1 add others, testing all work as you go.

Edit, the psu fan is not spinning cos its not turning on, u need the case power switch attached to start psu, switch on back will only turn off the mains in2 psu. Push the power switch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

also move the gfx card into the first x16 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hey dude, any joy?

py2006 wrote:
    Hey dude, any joy?

in work til 4.30 again, so have to wait til then to try again later

will try all the advice later guys thanks :)

• Advertisement

in work til 4.30 again, so have to wait til then to try again later

will try all the advice later guys thanks :)

Jaysus where do you work?

py2006 wrote:
    Jaysus where do you work?

a callcentre lol...its soooo much fun...not...lol

a callcentre lol...its soooo much fun...not...lol

Tech support? Internal or for external? Any jobs going??

My stuff just arrived!!!! :P :P :P

py2006 wrote:
    Tech support? Internal or for external? Any jobs going??

My stuff just arrived!!!! :P :P :P

yup tech support for a large company, wont say the name on here. there are jobs going tho - PM me if ur interested lol.

hope ur build goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Wait you havn't tried turning it on with switch plugged in? Thats explains wh hard drives aren't coming on.. but yea its perfectly normal for the motherboard light to be coming on..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

dazftw wrote:
    Wait you havn't tried turning it on with switch plugged in? Thats explains wh hard drives aren't coming on.. but yea its perfectly normal for the motherboard light to be coming on..

the only thing i have coming out of the power button on the front is like 7 or 8 tiny cables with HDD Power Led, HD power Led, Power LED etc.

Are these the ones I need to plug in and if so where do they go? They dont seem to fit into the CD drives and HD drives, or do they go into the mobo?

Sorry, i followed the tomshardware site guide on how to build it, but it missed a few small things like this lol

Well....well???...Don't keep us all in suspenders! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes man, you must put all those into the pins on the mobo, they can be tricky first time as their very small, you should refer to your mobos manual as all locations are color coded, another tip is make sure polarity is right, colored wire in those pieces is (+) whilst white is always (-), connect the 8 of them up as normal, then try booting up, if it dont go on, make sure there all in the right position!

Good luck

Nick

OK, so everything is definitely plugged in correctly

It all powered on today, hard drives worked, cd drives all fine

tried to install windows
    came back upstairs and had the blue screen - didnt read the full thing, but just rebooted the PC as it said to try that

rebooted, and now PC doesnt beep when it comes on

removed the graphics card, ram etc. and tried to boot - constantly beeped

took it all out again, put it back in, now its all connected correctly - my friend had a look. no beep at all. all the power comes on but no beep and it wont boot. no boot screen at all. have it plugged into the monitor and absolutely no signal

tried with a different graphics card - nothing

anyone any ideas?

sorry the mobo is an abit IN9 32x max nForce 680i socket 775

also the number on the mobo (diagnostic thing) keeps coming up with AO on it. theres no corresponding number for it in the manual

What power supply are you using? Also have you tried booting with only one ram module?

Nick

yoyo wrote:
    What power supply are you using? Also have you tried booting with only one ram module?

Nick

OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS, 600W, 120mm Fan, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin

I found this on their website

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?p=683982#post683982

http://forum.abit-usa.com/archive/index.php/t-99131.html

Apparently it might be the power to it, or it could be the CMOS - i havent a clue how to reset the CMOS

Sorry tried it with one ram in aswell - tried them both - still no joy

You can reset CMOS by either removing the mobo battery for ~10mins or even easier take a jumper out of your optical drive and place it on the CMOS reset jumper and boot up, to using the CMOS jumper refer to mr manual, also try putting the 4 pin molex power to mobo as suggested and disabling EIST option in the bios, your PSU should not be a issiue

Nick

yoyo wrote:
    You can reset CMOS by either removing the mobo battery for ~10mins or even easier take a jumper out of your optical drive and place it on the CMOS reset jumper and boot up, to using the CMOS jumper refer to mr manual, also try putting the 4 pin molex power to mobo as suggested and disabling EIST option in the bios, your PSU should not be a issiue

Nick

:rolleyes: U clear cmos by moving a jumper already on the mobo from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3. RTFM

Jumper off the optical drive is 2 small & will not fit.

DO NOT BOOT WITH THE JUMPER MOVED & MAKE SURE THE PSU IS OFF
    Clearing the CMOS can be done a few ways. The most common way is to use the jumper on the motherboard. This jumper has two settings. Normal and Clear. Moving the jumper to the Clear setting will erase the settings stored in CMOS. It does not remove the BIOS itself, only the user defined settings within the CMOS. When you clear the CMOS you will most likely see the error message "CMOS Checksum Error" on the next reboot. You can enter the BIOS setup at this point or before and reconfigure the settings.

Another method is to remove the CMOS battery from the system. Removing the battery is usually the second method as it may take anywhere from 15 minutes to 8 hours in order for the CMOS to loss the settings. Once the CMOS is clear, you should know by the "BIOS checksum error, press F1 to continue ", or "CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded" message at bootup.

Do both, remove the battery & then move the jumper, then go in2 the bios and load defaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

also take out the battery when you are clearing the bios.

• Advertisement

Weird, i could do it the other way, different mobo :O

Nick

wahoo all up and running now thanks to dazftw and his friend!

thanks everyone:D

problem was the CMOS like everyone said :)

Congrats dude!!
    However, I am having probs myself now! :( I have to experiment with the cmos. How did you do it? I am confused. When you power down and change the jumper settings do you bootup or return it to were it was?

My system keeps powering off after a few secs! I did notice that checksum error thing too!

Glad your up & running m8, Enjoy the new machine :D

Nick

Do not power on with the jumper in the moved position, move it back to where it originally was before powering on

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Do not power on with the jumper in the moved position, move it back to where it originally was before powering on

I don't understand how moving the jumper back and forward like that with the power off can do anything? Or am I missing something obvious?? Does it clear the cmos even though there is no power?

py2006 wrote:
    Does it clear the cmos even though there is no power?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

py2006 wrote:
    I don't understand how moving the jumper back and forward like that with the power off can do anything? Or am I missing something obvious?? Does it clear the cmos even though there is no power?
    It does the same as removing the cmos battery ie it breaks the battery circuit retaining the cmos data.

nibble wrote:
    It does the same as removing the cmos battery ie it breaks the battery circuit retaining the cmos data.

Oh ok, thanks! I will try that when I get home shortly! I will get back to you tommorrow if I am not successful! Thanks for your help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

If you have the same mobo as white falcon it has a small switch beside the connections on the back plate to reset cmos.

Advertisement