Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights of Fury

Options
  • 04-10-2007 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

In one lecture I had today, the "paper airplane" fad reached its inevitable conclusion: the lecturer comes in, with the aim of delivering a lecture, and finds planes all over the floor, and several in the air. He's decided he's had enough, gives everyone a bollocking, and threatened to throw one guy out. He even used a naughty word. :eek:

Well, if anyone tries to complain about that lecturer, I'll be speaking up in his defence. Why? Well, IMHO this falls under the heading of "what the hell were you expecting?", or "who has time for this carp?" This particular lecturer is one of the good guys, the best of the 6 I have, i.e. the main reason I expect to pass this freakishly difficult course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

whats the course/faculty?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You in engineering by any chance. Rod Gow went ballistic one day at us, but in fairness the place was pretty much littered with paper planes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I was in a lecture theatre in the science block today, (theatre A I think) and the place was covered in papaer airplanes. Would that have been your class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I think it was Prof. Gow, MATH10160 today. But why do you immediately ask who? It's not relevant to the point I was trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

stereoroid wrote:
    I think it was Prof. Gow, MATH10160 today. But why do you immediately ask who? It's not relevant to the point I was trying to make.
    Curiosity?

I've never seen a paper airplane thrown in a lecture... strange...

Maybe arts students are boring?

But yeah it's pretty silly. Used to do it in work :) The whole room (office place) ended up having a war with them! And elastic bands! Oh the fun.

*ahem*

Silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Yea I have never seen a paper airplane thrown in a lecture before... a few balloons floating about but thats about it for me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Yep never had a paper airplane either....

We've had dodge comments made completely unintentionally but that's the highlight for me.

Oh and the day Prof Bannigan went mental at some poor girl for apparently talking and kicked her out of anatomy class (she had in fact just turned her head).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

stereoroid wrote:

Lol, that's my Dad.
    Must show him this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

someone ****ed a plastic bottle into Theater L once mid lecture and hit the lectuer on the noggin.

What a SHOT!

not a nice thing to do mind you. Wouldnt recommend such knobbish behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've never seen a paper aeroplane either, but we did have come people dropping lunch trays down each of the steps in one of the big Arts theatres last year. They made one hell of a racket.

Funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yep never had a paper airplane either....

We've had dodge comments made completely unintentionally but that's the highlight for me.

Oh and the day Prof Bannigan went mental at some poor girl for apparently talking and kicked her out of anatomy class (she had in fact just turned her head).
    Oh he did to us too, back in premed. I wasn't in the class but heard all about it. Threatens to regularly. His latest is asking us, "Have you all got mental problems?" before continuing with the lecture as if nothing had happened :p

Though we did have a massive paper airplane fight in Ann Breslin's physics once. Can't remember if she was in the room at the time (she's really easy to completely phase out :D )

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yep - ever had ann breslin asking you if you 'wanted to go out and get a cup of coffee' in that slow tone?

Red Alert wrote:
    Yep - ever had ann breslin asking you if you 'wanted to go out and get a cup of coffee' in that slow tone?
    He he, who knows? :p I do remember her panicking when she lost her keys that she puts on the projector to keep the slides in place: "Oh no. I've lost my keys. *Pats pockets and looks around her very slowly* What shall I do now? Oh wait, here they are."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

stereoroid wrote:
    In one lecture I had today, the "paper airplane" fad reached its inevitable conclusion: the lecturer comes in, with the aim of delivering a lecture, and finds planes all over the floor, and several in the air. He's decided he's had enough, gives everyone a bollocking, and threatened to throw one guy out. He even used a naughty word. :eek:

Well, if anyone tries to complain about that lecturer, I'll be speaking up in his defence. Why? Well, IMHO this falls under the heading of "what the hell were you expecting?", or "who has time for this carp?" This particular lecturer is one of the good guys, the best of the 6 I have, i.e. the main reason I expect to pass this freakishly difficult course.

Yep i was there. To be honest the sheer amount of the planes had gotten to be ridiculous so fair play to him. Also agree that he is the best lecturer we have.

Red Alert wrote:

Many in my class still contend that the best cappuccino on campus is to be found in the coffee vending machine in science as a result of those lectures.

Though I always have respect for her since the time it rained on me during her exam and she got me extra time at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

stereoroid wrote:
    Thats engineering for you!

Ours happened during a Physics class when the sabbatical elections were going on. Lights went off to show us a spark and suddenly hundred of coloured balls/paper air planes came flying through the air

It happened the other day in maths too but there was just 5 floating around. It happens a lot in first eng due to the big classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Another incident today, in Chemistry for Engineers. Someone had clearly had a bad day, started saying "Bollocks" every minute or so... louder and louder... then shouted it out loud. Oh well - lecture was nearly over anyway.

Is this normal, or has my course attracted all the kids with ADHD? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

lol, i heard about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

stereoroid wrote:

Is this normal, or has my course attracted all the kids with ADHD? :(

Haha, As Gubbie says it probably due to the large lecture halls. Although i think i heard someone say that the guy who was shouting bollocks was from DIT or else from a different course in the college.

playa3 wrote:
    Haha, As Gubbie says it probably due to the large lecture halls. Although i think i heard someone say that the guy who was shouting bollocks was from DIT or else from a different course in the college.
    Reckon that it is just the fact Engineering is full of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Though I always have respect for her since the time it rained on me during her exam .
    Wierd?! How did you get rain on you in the rds?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

AHAHA

I know those guys, they are in DIT.

funny stuff.

panda100 wrote: »
    Wierd?! How did you get rain on you in the rds?!

Open vent above my head. Not exactly the best start to an exam. Ended up using my exam paper to keep my writing pad dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 UpcomingStudent

and they couldnt move you 2 steps right or left? O.o thats corrupt -.-

They wouldn't until Dr. Breslin kicked up a fuss to the section leader - the invigilators didn't have the power as i'd already been marked down in the lists as sitting in that seat.

In a way it was rather funny, unsurprisingly I didn't pass that exam.....

They wouldn't until Dr. Breslin kicked up a fuss to the section leader - the invigilators didn't have the power as i'd already been marked down in the lists as sitting in that seat.

In a way it was rather funny, unsurprisingly I didn't pass that exam.....
    Oh no! But at least you felt better about Ann the second time round? She is really nice, just so feckin boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Best ever was the week after freshers week last year, Theatre L was full to capacity for SOC10010 I think (400+ ppl). Some guy was obviously talking to a group of his friends outside and went to go in discreetely (about 10 mins into the lecture) when they pushed him, one of them roaring "SORRY I'M LATE" at the top of his voice and giving the door a good kick. Poor guy was mortified. :D

Breezer wrote: »
    Oh no! But at least you felt better about Ann the second time round? She is really nice, just so feckin boring!

Oh I didnt' repeat teh module - I was old school so i had the Breslin and Mercer bits together - I only failed the Mercer bits so i got grinds and passed in August.

*Hugs non modularised life*

Advertisement