Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Addresses

Options
  • 04-10-2007 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question about IP Addresses since I'm not really sure about them. Guess I'm a 'n00b'. Anyway, I went onto Bebo and it said my IP address was 194.xx.xxx.xx so I opened up command prompt and executed 'ipconfig' and that IP wasn't listed. I pinged it, and the yoke said 1 ms round trip. Then I pinged the localhost and there was 0 ms round trip. So I was just wondering why the 'ipconfig' is different to the one Bebo gives me.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Conor108 wrote:
    Just a quick question about IP Addresses since I'm not really sure about them. Guess I'm a 'n00b'. Anyway, I went onto Bebo and it said my IP address was 194.xx.xxx.xx so I opened up command prompt and executed 'ipconfig' and that IP wasn't listed. I pinged it, and the yoke said 1 ms round trip. Then I pinged the localhost and there was 0 ms round trip. So I was just wondering why the 'ipconfig' is different to the one Bebo gives me.

That IP will be the one Bebo sees, so it may be from your router or proxy instead if you're behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The one listed on bebo is probably your router's external IP address, which is visible to the outside world.

And the one in ipconfig is your own computer's IP address doled out to you by the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Ah I see! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Twatbadger

Usually works out as a 192.168.1.xxx number on your NAT when behind the router.

Your Internet IP will be anything within your ISPs IP range

essentially your router is like a proxy

Advertisement