Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 1 series - Coupe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thats nice! Any ideas on pricing at all? I can see it becoming a scanger mobile in the future tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

looks a bit narrow to me, like a Trabant, nice styling though, the front end realy looks good on a Coupe, like all recent BMW's, I have my reservations about the rear lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

petty, I know ...

but that stupid "shark fin" really ruins it

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

colm_mcm wrote:
    looks a bit narrow to me, like a Trabant, nice styling though, the front end realy looks good on a Coupe, like all recent BMW's, I have my reservations about the rear lights.

Agree 100%. When the new style 3 series came out, I didnt like it at all. Ive grown to like it (still prefer the previous model though). I reckon in the right colours, the car will look very nice. Also, I think the exhaust looks a little funny on it. Dont know what it is, but just looks kinda out of place..

how much will this cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We had a thread here a few months ago where the OP wondered did the 1 coupe redeem the unloved 1 series

He might be right. Rumour has it that the upcoming 135i coupe is closer to the original M3 than any other BMW in the last 20 years

I hate those sharkfins too...
    colm_mcm wrote:
    how much will this cost?

I think I saw somewhere that the 135i coupe (306BHP) will be around €50k on the continent

how about the 1.6 here?

Looking at the boot, it looks like a clumsy coupe/convertible but without the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Under-powered and over-priced.

They'll sell a bucketload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 135i costs €38,950 in Germany. So it will be at least €60k I reckon when it gets here.

The only engines for the 1 series Coupé are the 120d(177 bhp), 123d (204 bhp) and 135i(306 bhp) so far.

I'm sure others will follow. I don't think there will be a 116i here somehow. Remember, we will have a VRT rejig which will mean that VRT should be somewhat more balanced than the current one(though it still has a link to engine sizes AFAIK :mad: ).

Anyway, its not like there will be a massive market for such a car here anyway.

I don't think BMW will entertain the idea of building a 116i even for the rest of Europe, as 2 out of every 3 new BMWs sold in Europe are diesel. Even in Ireland, where they brought in the 316i specially for us, we find that low and behold, the 316i isn't even the best selling 3 series at all!(BMW Ireland said the best selling 3 series for 06 was the 318i SE)

The 1 series Cabrio will be available in 118i, 120i/d, 125i and 135i.

I suspect that in time these engines will make their way into the Coupé(the ones that aren't already in the 1 series Coupé at the moment I mean).

I must say that I've regained my faith in BMWs styling departmnt.

The 1 series Coupé looks like a modernised E30, and indeed an E21brought right up to date(I always thought the E21 and E30 lookede very similar), so that is fantastic in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thats so much like the E30 in principal- Bloody sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

colm_mcm wrote:
    how much will this cost?

Cheapest 120d ES 43,175 OTR to 61,100 for 135i M Sport(which seems to be the only petrol on the list)

Seven Worlds will Collide

E92 wrote:
    So it will be at least €60k I reckon when it gets here.
    Cheapest 120d ES 43,175 OTR to 61,100 for 135i M Sport(which seems to be the only petrol on the list)

Well congratulations to me. I feel a bit of self praise is in order tonight!:D

Don't know and don't care about entry level models, but consider this:

'87 M3 - 2.3l 4 pot 16V 195BHP, 1200KG, 0-100Km/h in 6.9s
    '07 135i - 3.0l 6 pot 24V 306BHP, 1560KG, 0-100Km/h in 5.3s

A small hatchback coupe that is faster than the fastest ever Honda supercar. And at €50k (?) it is relatively cheap too - about the same as an Audi S3. Not even mentioning that the 2.0l S3 is tuned out to the max. I'd expect the 3.0l 135i able to be tuned a good bit further. Mark my words, the 135i coupe will be a winner.

Edit:
    E92 wrote:
    The 135i costs €38,950 in Germany

The coupe? That seems very cheap. Any linky?

unkel wrote:
    The coupe? That seems very cheap. Any linky?

Yep, I thought I put in one earlier, but here it is.

Bear in mind the German 135i is much more sparsely equipped than the Irish one wiil be. The German 135i is equivalent to the ES spec here, plus bigger alloys, and a bit of fancier detailing(chrome, interior design etc). Our 135i's will be SE minimum.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't like it - I can't help feel there is something missing!

Incidentally, I passed a punto the other day which had a sharks fin on the roof above the windscreen. That looked bad enough but the fact that it was a completely different colour to the car and not stuck on properly made it look all the more stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Now thats a lot more like it....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    A small hatchback coupe that is faster than the fastest ever Honda supercar.

In fairness unkel it only took BMW 18 years to catch up then. :D

Not a fair comparison imo, I'm sure a 135i would be faster than a 1960s 911 too and alot of other supercars from yester year. All it proves is that automotive engineering moves with the times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Ugly as sin imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Absolutely hideous looking! Looks like a Hyundai Accent coupe. Its just too "try hard" with all the curves and falme surfacing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

1 series coupe will be popular with women.

Given the engine line up I doubt you'll see many on Irish roads.

Diesel coupes...I think I need to be sick!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

C Breeze beat me to it ! Hyundai coupe-ish incl. the love-handles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like it but I'd like it a hell of a lot more if they got rid of those nasty 1-series headlights. Reminds me of the BMW 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Gorgeous looking car. BMW are confusing me now though with their lineup, the 1 and 3 series are so similar...

bazz26 wrote:
    In fairness unkel it only took BMW 18 years to catch up then. :D

LOL :D

I dunno what it is, I seem to have this mental association to a Honda NSX whenever the 1-series is mentioned :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    LOL :D

I dunno what it is, I seem to have this mental association to a Honda NSX whenever the 1-series is mentioned :confused:

Maybe a subconscious craving to own both of them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Criky - A 135i !
    A BMW that isn't fat, overweight and underpowered.

Harks back to the old E30 M3.

It might look awful but what a cracking car. A possible gem among and underperforming range.

Obviously won't sell well in ireland at all because of this......

Ah well.

They'll probably stick in some poverty engines, and photocopier salesmen will scoop them up.

bazz26 wrote:
    Maybe a subconscious craving to own both of them. :)

Must be. I like the new FIAT 500 too. Maybe it's time to see a shrink :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

I don't think the looks matter to be honest.

A bit of chipping, LSD and some proper suspension - thing will be a weapon!!

135i that is :-)

I just thought of something today. Didn't the Honda NSX have 276 bhp? And that was a highly tuned engine, with very advanced technology at the time. When the Honda NSX was around, BMW still sold the M30 lump in 3 litre guise, and the engine had 188 bhp.

Now, BMW's standard 3 litre has 272 bhp.

It just shows how much the game has moved on so much in the intervening years.

Similarly, the original E36 M3 had 286 bhp. Now, BMW's twin turbo diesel at 3 litres produces exactly 286 bhp:eek: .

Its hard to believe even at BMW, that the highly tuned version of an engine 13 years ago now produces only a small bit more power than a standard tuned engine of similar size today from them:eek: .

I think some manufactureres have pushed the boat out a lot further than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

I'm trying to like it.......I just wouldnt spend my money on it. When I see them
    1 series hatches floating about, I just think Mickey Mouse... Their almost comical looking.

Just weird looking I think, maybe even pointlessness, I cant help but think they only built this coupe to fit a marketing segment.

As someone has pointed out it is too narrow at the back.

Advertisement