Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford Youths

• 04-10-2007 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

From the Wexford Youths Wesbite via foot.ie
    Season So Far Sept 07
    It's a cold Sunday nights as we leave the Complex. We're satisfied, we've just drawn with Limerick 37. We did'nt win, but we did'nt lose either. As we make our way home behind us the Complex looks like a scene from "Close Encounters".

It is a far cry from 4th March 2007. Kingspan Park was the venue and Monaghan United were about to play their part in history. I was'nt there that night (coaching commitments!), instead I sat at home with the teletext on the t.v.screen, local radio in the background and two mobiles on the go. What a come back, the Youths had arrived. The first home game was not for the faint hearted. Storm force winds, driving rain and an experienced Cobh side. Over two thousand spectators ventured out to see the Youths first win in League of Ireland football. An unusual goal, but we did'nt care. What we did'nt realise at that time was these wins would be few and far between in a very long season.

Since then we have had many adventures on the road covering the length and breath of the country. We have had many "firsts" this season, the first floodlight game against Shelbourne, our first away win to Finn Harps, our first banner away to Kilkenny, the first song sheet home to Finn Harps in June, the first "flag day" at home to Kilkenny in August. Mick's effect on what we do as Supporters has been immense. His cultrual influence and Luca's translation has made our banners stand out home and away. "Youths in Viaggio" - "Youths on Tour", "Forza Youths" - "Youths Forever", "Il Youths Croc'iata" - The Youths Crusade", (The yellow cross being the banner under which the Italian Knights marched).

We have become almost like a family, the same familiar faces at all the games, all differing opinions on team selection and tactics. The one common thread through all is the warmness and friendliness they bring to the Complext from Mick, his staff, the players right through to the stewards, ticket office, shop/bar and last but not least the Supporters. The commitment and sacrafice I have seen from the players is unbelievable. The change in diet, coaching, time off work, long distances for away matches, it is endless, yet we criticise their every mistake, but cheeer every magic moment.

I had Stuart Lawlor present medals to Wexford Albion Under 7's during the summer. The kids were in "awe," getting a medal from a "Wexford Youth", player. The only comparison I could give is Gerard, Ronaldo, and co. would not have had the same effect. My daughter who is eight years old gets goose pimples every time she sees Patsy and my son wants "Sinnott No. 10" on his jersey (this will never happen, he did'nt play for Albion!). This is probably the greatest compliment I could give these guys.

On the road we have had our funny moments, Niall O'Brien heading the ball back into play from the Stand, two games in a row has to be the first, singing "we want Wallace out" after Noel and Seanie guided us to our win in Athlone (this was done while Mick and Noel were on the phone).

The 21's kicked off in June. I have not traveled to too many away games, but have seen all the home ones. Some of the talent on display is tremendous. They say football is a form of religion, then trying to preach the Gospel is what I call looking at the bigger picture. Go look at the 21's and 18's. Some of these players have made the step up to Senior level already. Give it another 2-3 years and we will have a team to grace any field of dreams.

The Supporters Club was set up mid way through the season. It has achieved quite a lot already. We have a website, fan cards, badges etc., but it is at a standstill at the moment. Getting a good base for next season is what it's main aim is. The Supporters Club has tried to run buses to away games and flag days for something different, but the response has been poor. However, we keep going, in time this too shall change.

We have noticed in the last few games the crowd getting more vocal, there are people who sing and there are people who don't, but all the songs are on the website, and all can be sung with children present. I think we have all heard of the twelfth man so we're just doing our bit.

Mick Wallace had a dream that is now a reality ................ Forza Youths!

Denis Carthy.
    Chairman,
    Wexford Youths Supporters Club.

Wexford Youths are a new team in everything and they dont pay their players anything but expenses, they are owned by Mick Wallace (Work rest play, you may have seen this sign on a building site).

An example of how to create something from nothing in your hometown.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Excellent first season in he league as well. They've proved very difficult to beat and almost done Dundalk a massive favour a couple of weeks back when nearly beating Cobh. Fair play to them. Thought they'd have a horrible season this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KdjaCL wrote:

Wexford Youths are a new team in everything and they dont pay their players anything but expenses, they are owned by Mick Wallace (Work rest play, you may have seen this sign on a building site).

An example of how to create something from nothing in your hometown.

kdjac

Wexfrod Youths have been around for awhile. I played against them in my teens and have played with players (who went on to bigger things) while playing for Trinity in the Eircom U-21 league.

Wallace is a football nut. Just look at his work equipment. He has a ball with work hard play hard (or some such) on everything he owns.

He even uses his contacts to get his lads trials over seas and pays for them to do it

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I think ye put the curse of death on them. They were beaten 5-0 by limerick 37 tonight.

Advertisement