Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Import - Mondeo or BWM or Golf Diesel

Options
  • 04-10-2007 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I drive small petrol punto, wife drives small petrol fiesta. I'm 6'9" and 20 stone and really need a change those long journeys are a killer in either car but i dont need a "family car" just big blokes car. Drive ~ 60 miles most days.

Is diesel 2 lt going to more economical on fuel than a 1.2/1.3 petrol? Have budget of 8,000 euro for i guess 2001/2002 car.

1.4 petrol too small and hard to overtake esp in a golf! 1.8/2.0 petrol hard to keep in fuel??!!! is a 1.6 petrol the same as a 2.0 diesel or more like a 1.2 or 1.0 petrol in terms of fuel costs only - dont care about tax or insurance!

car must be black or blue or silver as its the only colour i like! and have dub reg cos cars on my housing estate cars with country plates get damaged guaranteed and set on fire if not irish plates.

Mondeo looks great, but whats it like to run and live with? Is the 1.8 petrol better? cheaper to buy and loads for sale here but is the petrol a killer?
    Autotrader have some 2001 mondeos in zetec for less than 4,000 sterling and then just a bit of vrt with less than 150,000 miles. it's tdci - does this make it really tractor like????? when i sell it in feb/march will i make loads of cash profit?

have looked at 320d, golf tdi and octavia but they are so common and overpriced. any advice- is the mondeo really the best there is?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

anonymous1 wrote:
    I drive small petrol punto, wife drives small petrol fiesta. I'm 6'9" and 20 stone and really need a change those long journeys are a killer in either car but i dont need a "family car" just big blokes car. Drive ~ 60 miles most days.

Is diesel 2 lt going to more economical on fuel than a 1.2/1.3 petrol? Have budget of 8,000 euro for i guess 2001/2002 car.

1.4 petrol too small and hard to overtake esp in a golf! 1.8/2.0 petrol hard to keep in fuel??!!! is a 1.6 petrol the same as a 2.0 diesel or more like a 1.2 or 1.0 petrol in terms of fuel costs only - dont care about tax or insurance!

car must be black or blue or silver as its the only colour i like! and have dub reg cos cars on my housing estate cars with country plates get damaged guaranteed and set on fire if not irish plates.

Mondeo looks great, but whats it like to run and live with? Is the 1.8 petrol better? cheaper to buy and loads for sale here but is the petrol a killer?
    Autotrader have some 2001 mondeos in zetec for less than 4,000 sterling and then just a bit of vrt with less than 150,000 miles. it's tdci - does this make it really tractor like????? when i sell it in feb/march will i make loads of cash profit?

have looked at 320d, golf tdi and octavia but they are so common and overpriced. any advice- is the mondeo really the best there is?????

I was going to reply to this but realised it must be a piss take :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anonymous1

tippbhoy wrote:
    I was going to reply to this but realised it must be a piss take :rolleyes:

Piss take? Of what? I am trying to get some advice.Your comment is not helpful and wasting my time. This is my first time on this site and my last if this is the kind of reply I get! Is there anyone out there with something useful to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I have a pic in my head of the OP at the moment. Watched an old dvd of Trainspotting last night - anyone remenber Spud on speed? :D

/edit : In all fairness OP, your post is a tad ott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's like 6 months worth of "Cormie's Van" posts :D

OP, any car you import will be D reg anyway so...

Pick your colour, go with a diesel IMHO, and test drive each one to see which appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

Jeasus, he's only looking for some advice to help answer his questions, personally I would probably go for a 1.9tdi octavia or if you can get one, a superb, got a lift in one not so long ago and was very impressed with the size inside. Both cars probably won't win any beauty pagents or get admiring glances for the general public but they do their job well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

anonymous1 wrote:

Well the first thing I'd say about performance is that even a Golf with its measly 75 bhp is going to be an improvement on a Punto with just 55(or 60 depending on year) bhp.

Theres no such thing as a 01 Mondeo TDCi. The TDCi only came about in 2002.

You're crossing a lot of different types of car OP, its very hard to tell you what to buy, 1 minute you complain about how slow a Golf is, the next you're worried about the 'bad fuel consumption' of a 1.8 Mondeo! You cant have it both ways I'm afraid! You straddle from small family cars(Octavia, Golf) to family cars aka repmobiles(Mondeo) to mini exec cars(BMW 3er) in one whole swoop! For the record, the Mk3 1.8 averages 37.7 mpg, and the 2.0 averages 35.3 mpg, so the 2.0 is only a small bit less economical. A 1.4 Golf does AFAIR around 43 mpg(but then again a Mondeo is a much bigger and heavier car than a Golf). A 320d does 49.6 mpg. I think a Punto does around 48 mpg, so a 2 litre diesel will cost you less than a 1.2 petrol to run.

Theres not that much of a difference in reality. In fact, if you find that the engine is slow, it will actually be bad on fuel consumption, because it will need to be worked much harder. Smaller engines might look more economical in theory, because well they're smaller, but theory and reality are 2 very different things. I'd put a bet on it that a 1.6 Golf will use less fuel than a 1.4, because the 1.6 has so much more power so it won't reqiure half the work the 1.4 will to keep up a good pace. When engines work hard is when they are poor on fuel.

A diesel is of course a great idea, they are far quicker because of all the torque they have, and of course are far cheaper to run because they can be as much as 20 mpg more economical than a petrol depending on the car(you should definately get at least 10 mpg more from a diesel), but Mondeos with TDCi engines are not always the most reliabler, and BMW 320ds from 02 can suffer turbo failures(which should have been replaced free gratus from BMW).

I don't have the official fuel consumption figures to hand, but I'd put a bet on it that a Mondeo dsl or 320d uses no more fuerl than your Punto.

An Octavia is a stretched Golf, so if you're not a badge snob, it is a much better car than a Golf for a family.

Ultimately, its your choice, drive them all, and buy the one you like the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Octavia Tdi is a good bet- engine will purr on the long journeys

Reality is- the're all much of a muchness. If you aren't doing 40k km PA, you won't really feel the difference between 30mpg and 40mpg. Fuel is only one factor of motoring and petrol cars are bought cheaper so don't expect the difference between A and B to offset the additional cost overnight. Don't forget, tax on 1.9s is a little more also .

Buy whichever one takes your fancy but if it's a UK car- make sure you have PROPER service history with it. Lots of cars seem to have only done 2k miles in the last 18mths.

anonymous1 wrote:
    Piss take? Of what? I am trying to get some advice.Your comment is not helpful and wasting my time. This is my first time on this site and my last if this is the kind of reply I get! Is there anyone out there with something useful to say?

ok ok, maybe a bit harsh, I've misjudged you, a lot of questions in there, i especially liked the selling it on for a load of cash bit :D . Anyway...to show i'm a nice guy :)

On the budget you spoke of i don't see how you can be contemplating the BMW, that's exec territory and well outside your budget for the year mentioned. Golf and BMW should not be appearing in the same comparison.

If you do under 15000miles per year then the petrol should be fine but you'll need a 1.6 at least(you won't get anything under that litre for the size of car i think you need)

You need to decide on what range you need to set your sights on, punto would be entry, golf high end medium up against the octavia which imvho almost hits the family car albeit slightly better priced, avensis and mondeo next up as the family car, then exec audi's and BMW's.

For a man your size i would imagine you need the family size car i.e mondeo, avensis type range and this is what i'd recommend. Good quality cars that are cost effective to run. Look at something in around the 1.6 to 1.8 petrol range. Mondeo's are very common but a fine car, commonality means cheaper in the long run. Plenty of pep but good on fuel.

I wouldn't be contemplating all the profits in a few months, really this is only worthwhile when spending at least 10k excluding VRT, again imho.

You need to think about resale, the golf will hold, avensis likewise, skoda and mondeo probably not as much so.

Hope that helps ;)

edit: just re-reading the post there, seeing as you mention both Golf and Mondeo, you should meet in the middle with the Octavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If you do 60 miles a day, then you do 21,900 miles a year. You really should get an oil burner, it will pay for itself in no time.

And if you take an oil burner(diesel) for a drive, I don't think you'll need me to tell you which fuel rules in those type of cars. But heres a clue: it not petrol.

E92 wrote:
    If you do 60 miles a day, then you do 21,900 miles a year. You really should get an oil burner, it will pay for itself in no time.

And if you take an oil burner(diesel) for a drive, I don't think you'll need me to tell you which fuel rules in those type of cars. But heres a clue: it not petrol.

bio-ethanol? :D

a fair point, seriously though OP 20K a year is a lot of miles considering you don't claim to do much milage. You need to total this before deciding on the fuel type of the car.
    >15K=diesel

• Advertisement
Advertisement