Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Teach na nGealt

Options
  • 04-10-2007 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Some of the users on Teach na nGealt are mooting moving it from being a sub-forum of AH to being a stand-alone forum in Rec. Mostly from a belief of the increased visibility would increase traffic.

The discussion is more suitable for here rather than in the forum itself. That and it's a matter for the admins and their input is necessary.

Personally I think it's very visible as a sub-forum of AH but a link to it in Rec might increase visibility a bit. Whether that'd increase traffic or not, I don't know.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I don't use it myself, but I think it has outgrown its sub-forum status, which is nice.

Support +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

ya i dont go in it either but its good the way it keeps the language alive and deseres its own forum

bualadh bós +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Large enough to be own its own at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ruu wrote:
    Large enough to be own its own at this stage.
    True, but I'm surprised the regulars want it moved from AH ... the mods there are always complaining that people post in AH just to get maximum visibility, and I think that has worked for Teach na nGealt as well. I've even had the odd browse through, simply because it pops out at me when I open AH, agus ní gaelgeoir mise ar chor ar bith!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

True, but I'm surprised the regulars want it moved from AH ... the mods there are always complaining that people post in AH just to get maximum visibility, and I think that has worked for Teach na nGealt as well. I've even had the odd browse through, simply because it pops out at me when I open AH, agus ní gaelgeoir mise ar chor ar bith!
    ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That was pretty much the intention of having it as a sub-forum of AH in the first place. AH is the busiest forum, new people when joining a forum tend to take a look at the busiest forum to see what's going on, and Teach na nGealt is right up at the top of it. A link from the Rec menu might work but I don't think it should be moved from being a sub-forum of AH purely because of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭GaryOR

That was pretty much the intention of having it as a sub-forum of AH in the first place. AH is the busiest forum, new people when joining a forum tend to take a look at the busiest forum to see what's going on, and Teach na nGealt is right up at the top of it. A link from the Rec menu might work but I don't think it should be moved from being a sub-forum of AH purely because of the above

Níl ann ach tuairim amháin ó dhuine amháin! caithfidh tú triall a bhaint as chun na torthaí a fheiceáil. Is féidir leis an Síbín Gaelach a sheasamh fhéin a dhéanamh. Faoi láthair tá an clár go hiomlán faoi cheilt ag After Hours agus níl aon fáth go bhfuil sé fós faoi.
    Cén fáth nach bhfuil chuile chlár eile ar nós Mustard nó Fat eijits faoi cheilt ag After Hours mar sin?

GaryOR wrote:

Níl ann ach tuairim amháin ó dhuine amháin! caithfidh tú triall a bhaint as chun na torthaí a fheiceáil. Is féidir leis an Síbín Gaelach a sheasamh fhéin a dhéanamh. Faoi láthair tá an clár go hiomlán faoi cheilt ag After Hours agus níl aon fáth go bhfuil sé fós faoi.
    Cén fáth nach bhfuil chuile chlár eile ar nós Mustard nó Fat eijits faoi cheilt ag After Hours mar sin?

You should use English when posting in here for the same reasons people should use Irish in Teach na nGealt. It's just simple courtesy to use the language of the forum in your posts.

Referring to the forum as an Síbín Gaelach is just going to confuse people you know. I preferred it as a name for the forum and voted for it, so I sympathise but the name of the forum can't come up for debate every other month.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GaryOR wrote:

Of the people here who are Irish, we went through the Irish education system, and thus have little if any grasp of the Irish language.

If you want to be heard, post in english. I don't know what you said and neither do most of the other people here. What's the point in contributing if no-one can understand you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I agree with seamus and nesf. I haven't a notion what you are talking about Gary and neither will most people here.

• Advertisement

I agree with seamus and nesf. I haven't a notion what you are talking about Gary and neither will most people here.

http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/

GaryOR wrote:

Are you on some quest to become some martyr for the language or something? You get banned from here and get to go around ranting about how you were banned for using the national language etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

GaryOR wrote:
    Thanks. :rolleyes: I might just go and post something in English in Teach na nGealt. It would be worth the ban to point this out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

GaryOR wrote:

Or you could post in English and save us all the hassle of having to translate what you post.

nesf wrote:
    Are you on some quest to become some martyr for the language or something? You get banned from here and get to go around ranting about how you were banned for using the national language etc?

God you're an idiot just having a bit of craic with ya

GaryOR wrote:
    God you're an idiot just having a bit of craic with ya

Fair enough, but I'm trying to help yee get something done about it. Your post above isn't going to do much to further your cause.

nesf wrote:
    Fair enough, but I'm trying to help yee get something done about it. Your post above isn't going to do much to further your cause.

my apologies lads and ladies,

I pretty much don't see why Teach na nGealt aka An Síbín Gaelach aka After Hours beag has to be under the After Hours forum.
    Its extremely hard to see and I personally, along with the other gealta who use the site, believe it would be better served with its own place under Rec. along side Mustard, humour and other excellent boards!

I don't know how these things work but I wouldn't imagine it would take much to change, I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I think Teach na nGealt is fine as it is and I don't see the point in moving it. It might be an idea to have a link to it from the Rec menu, like the Poker link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hmmm, now I only did Irish for 14 years in school and so therefore have a limited grasp of the language... but I'm fairly sure that:
    GaryOR wrote:
    doesn't translate as
    GaryOR wrote:
    Mustard, humour and other excellent boards!

Methinks you're slagging my forum :(

g'em wrote:
    Hmmm, now I only did Irish for 14 years in school and so therefore have a limited grasp of the language... but I'm fairly sure that:

doesn't translate as

Methinks you're slagging my forum :(

ó mo leithscéal go deo a chara. I'm really really sorry I was actually talking about Beer Guts & Receding Hair board as a joke.

Sorry for the confusion,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

GaryOR wrote:
    ó mo leithscéal go deo a chara. I'm really really sorry I was actually talking about Beer Guts & Receding Hair board as a joke.

Sorry for the confusion,

Manly men have feelings too.... :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think it gets more attention as a subforum to the most popular forum AH rather that as a stand alone - but that's just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well,on my screen anyway,if nothing else it would make the most recent posts on the main AH forum easier to see without having to scroll down.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I'm a regular in Teach na nGealt and to be honest I'm not sold on taking it out of After Hours. A lot of the people who happened on it (myself included) found it because it's in After Hours. Otherwise, you'd have to already know it was there, because you'd probably look for (and find) the Gaeilge forum which is a forum for the mechanics of the language and would be no fun at all for someone looking to talk about South Park in Irish or whatever.

I know there's a link in Gaeilge to T na nG, but I think if we give up the link to After Hours, we won't be able to get it back, and the forum has a chance of going downhill completely if it doesn't get a steady stream of new users. So with all the authority of an occasional, anglicised Gaelgeoir from the forum itself:

Oppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Why not try a poll in the forum in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

Why not try a poll in the forum in question?
    ya i think thats the best thing for the topic in question

i sound very posh indeed

Advertisement