Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Word

• 04-10-2007 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

I recently bought a laptop and forgot to ensure it first had windows word on it, which is nowdays a very important package to have if you want to view any files your downloading from the internet. Anyway it turned out word isn't on the computer, so I went into PC world to see if I could buy Microsoft word on its own but there was only Microsoft office available which costs a pricey €160, and really is mainly for businesses, with excel, access and all that. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy word on its own or where I might be able to get it without the other packages, which I don't need, included?? Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

I know it was possible before, I once had a standalone Word 97 CD. Not sure about now though.

Alternatively you could try OpenOffice. It mightn't suit you but it costs nothing so give it a try I'd say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Check out www.openoffice.org for a free alternative.

You do have wordpad on your computer, Thats standard with XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alnitak

Ya no, there's windows vista on the laptop and it has a basic word processor called microsoft works. Its just annoying whenever I download a Microsoft word file and can't edit it. I did download the windows viewer from the microsoft website, so at least I can view docs now, but just can't edit /alter them, which is really annoying if you've to fill out a form.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unless it's in the new incompatible word 2007 format, openoffice will do

abiword is another option

works version 6 or was it version 7 was the same as word 2 , file format was different, but the look and feel was very similar

wordpad / write should be under accessories on the start menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alnitak

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll give the open office a try then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I have both microsoft office 2003 (which includes word) and the open office programme which includes a word processor similar to word called writer. Open office also has similar programmes to all the other microsoft applications including excel, powerpoint and access and one will open documents from the other. I would use open office writer in preference to word any day, its a smashing application to use. It will also open up all your word documents from whatever source you recieve them from and best of all-its free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Abiword is another good word processor if your not looking for the whole office package

Advertisement