Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on little scavenger!

Options
  • 04-10-2007 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi, bit of advice - I have a five month old pup, we do most of our walking on the beach, a lovely long beach, very quiet and ideal for a bit of off lead excercise, only trouble is it one of those beaches where everything gets washed in and hardly ever gets carried out by the tide again so on any given day you can have assorted flotsam and jestsam and anything from dead sheep(!) to sea birds, fish etc - sounds lovely doesnt it! but it is actually a great spot and these are things (apart from the sheep) that you probably wouldnt notice if you didnt have a dog.

So obviously this is doggy paradise, but Im starting to get a bit worried now as she's snacking down on quite an assortment of stuff every day, and after a day a few weeks ago when i tried to take stuff out of her mouth (loads of what looked like small bird bones) now when she sees me coming she starts chewing as fast as she can, and wont let me get within a foot of her - even if I walk on by like I dont care!

Anyway, is this just dogs being dogs and nothing to worry about? Do I need to chill out...or is it possible to train her to 'leave it' when its so tempting?

Appreciate any suggestions...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

There's a chance she might get ill if any of the dead stuff was diseased or died of poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It is possible to train her to "leave it" ...just don't start on "temptation beach".

Do lessons at home. It works best if you reward the "leave" it with a little treat (swap the thing on the ground for the thing in your hand). Once she can do it at home, try it outside, once it works outside, move class to "temptation beach".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

heh, heh, yeah, I suppose I was asking a bit much alright! that sounds like a good plan peasant, I've finally got her dropping my slippers after only a couple of months of her legging it with them! so i suppose the same sort of step by step approach is needed... Thanks for the warning too bushy, at the moment I'm praying all those birds etc. just died of old age...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

what kind of dog is it out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

she's a setter, a real hunting dog so shouldnt be surprised she's finding all sorts, esp birds!

• Advertisement
Advertisement