Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

career advice

• 04-10-2007 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hello, I am going to graduate in a couple of week with a 64% 2.1 BA in English and Philosophy from NUIG. The thing is I don't really know what to do with myself now, I don't really know what my options are. I talked to career advice but they just shrugged there shoulders and gave me a record of what previous graduates did after leaving collage.. It was full of travel expeditions and quite light on information. So what can I do and what would you do if you were me?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

One option might be teaching? I'm guessing since you posted here you're thinking of staying in further education for the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Guess I would be interested, I have no Irish in my leaving.. so I guess I could run into problems. Further ed would be great, but I need to have something waiting for me on the other side. would be intrested in all suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

Offalycool wrote:
    Guess I would be interested, I have no Irish in my leaving.. so I guess I could run into problems.

"Irish for teachers" courses are all running/recruiting at the moment.
    You can get a substitute job before you're qualified, but you'd be paid less (I think).
    The teaching H. Dip's tend to have huge waiting lists (2-3 years rumour has it)

It depends on what you want to do.
    Teach others?
    Be taught some more yourself?
    Earn a wage and go home at the end of the day?
    Be challenged every day at what you end up doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I would be interested in teaching, I struggled in school, and would not have a degree without the help of good teachers. I would be interested in teaching adults or older children, people who want a second chance. I just don't know how to go about it.

Advertisement