Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training Advice

• 04-10-2007 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have been training for the marathon since about May and due to work and study commitments i have been doing all my training in the evenings.

I have now completed the adidas race series and found for all three races i was really really tired coming to the last 2-3 miles (on the 10m & 13m) but in training in the weeks leading to the races i would be doing more than those distances fairly comfortably

What i am looking for advice for is, would the fact that i have done no morning running training be the reason for this fatigue?

Im starting to get freeked out now that its only a few weeks to the big day

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Could also be that you ran faster or with more effort in the race situation. It's easy to let the adrenalin push you harder than you're used to with the crowd around. Probably worth trying to get out early a.m. for your long weekend run (assuming you're going to do a few high milers before race day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I almost always feel tired about 2 miles before the end of any run, it could be 10 miles or 60 miles! For me it's phychological. I know I've only got another bit to go.

Food is also important. If you're not properly fueled in the morning you will fee tired. Eat well the afternoon before a long morning run.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi Jlang.

I end up running much slower times in the races than in training but i totally see what your saying about the adrenalin being a factor.

I will defo try and get out for one or two early runs before the big day, doing a 20 miler this weekend and im hoping it goes well, should this be as far as i run at all before a marathon??

Thanks for your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

I'm no expert - ran my first 20+ miler earlier today after a couple of 19s over the last month. I started slow and ran for 4 hours (after allowing for a few clock-stopped stops) which is my target for the actual race. I haven't measured the distance yet but I'm hoping I didn't run too far (ie too fast for training). I'm don't feel stiffer than after shorter at-full-pace races, so I should be OK.

Advertisement