Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d Estate from the North

Options
  • 04-10-2007 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a 2000 320d estate, E46 (I think, not sure of the whole "E" business) It's in the north and needs to be "brought in". VRT bill seems to be around €3.5k based on the online thingy.

I can buy the car for £2,000 STG ... it's silver in colour and all I know is that it has had rear discs and pads replaced.

Bargain or not???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is it stolen/a cat C write-off?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Anan1 wrote:
    Is it stolen/a cat C write-off?

No. I know the owner, he's put big mileage on it that's all I know. Forgot to mention - 190k miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

At that price there is something fishy....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

For some reason, I really like the the estate of that gen 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

No. I know the owner, he's put big mileage on it that's all I know. Forgot to mention - 190k miles!

spoke to soon

• Advertisement

Is there anything else relevant you forgot to tell us about the car?;)

Anan1 wrote:
    Is there anything else relevant you forgot to tell us about the car?;)

Sorry, I know it was a biggy. That's the only skeleton in it's closet (I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

At 190k you're going to be changing most of the suspension components (if not done already) and I reckon she'd be due a clutch change too, so just factor items like this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

JohnCleary wrote:
    At 190k you're going to be changing most of the suspension components (if not done already) and I reckon she'd be due a clutch change too, so just factor items like this

At an asking price of £2k, I'd say they're already very much factored in... :rolleyes:

PauloMN wrote:
    At an asking price of £2k, I'd say they're already very much factored in... :rolleyes:

What makes you think so? We're not all car guru's, unlike you obviously :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Even if some major work needs doing, £2k is very cheap!

Has the turbo / engine been replaced yet?

unkel wrote:
    Even if some major work needs doing, £2k is very cheap!

Has the turbo / engine been replaced yet?

It's a 2000 136BHP varient, not prone to turbo/inlet manifold swirl flap failure

Turbo problems didn't come in until 2002 (150BHP)

JohnCleary wrote:
    What makes you think so? We're not all car guru's, unlike you obviously :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I think what he means is that the price is already low enough to take account of work required.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anan1 wrote:
    I think what he means is that the price is already low enough to take account of work required.

Exactly.

Apologies for using the :rolleyes: smilie. :D;):p:):o :mad: :( :eek: :cool: :confused:

PauloMN wrote:
    Exactly.
    Apologies for using the :rolleyes: smilie. :D;):p:):o :mad: :( :eek:

:):):):):)

Back on topic - OP, whats the interior/body like? Check for rust on the underbody. What about service history? (Presumably not FSH at that milage but would be nice if owner kept receipts from oil chances etc)

Pics would be great.

JohnCleary wrote:
    :):):):):)

Back on topic - OP, whats the interior/body like? Check for rust on the underbody. What about service history? (Presumably not FSH at that milage but would be nice if owner kept receipts from oil chances etc)

Pics would be great.

Apologies for only getting back now.

I've only seen the car in a car park, it's clean as a whistle except for the few minor scratches you'd expect on a car of it's age. Silver with alloys, looks great.

I wouldn't mind if the car needs some work which I can do myself, it's just the biggies like turbos, pumps, gearboxes and the like which could really bite. It'd be the GF's everyday car and she doesn't do too much mileage. The current owner assures me that it's in good nick so I think I'll have a chat with the credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Sounds like a cheap car.

Just check engine and gearbox have no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

Those e46's were said to do 250k miles easily if they were maintained properly - does it have a full BMW Service History?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'd imagine though, OP- if you buy this car and hopefully don't have too much trouble with it, you probably won't be able to get anyone to take it of your hands if you bring it to over 200k miles.

If you got it for €7k, cleared- you will probably have to drive it into the ground or sell it on for half what you paid.

Just keep it in mind that you will probably end up looking at it for quite a while.

Advertisement