Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky tonight

Options
  • 05-10-2007 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

awe stuck tonight with the sky, everything is so lit up, damn I really need to buy a telescope.

We have very little light pollution in Rathdrum, the sky just looks amazing. I just wanna stand out side a look!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I just wanna stand out side a look!

It is even better if you lie down & look. :)

Edit: Seriously. Lie on a rug in your garden or something & you'll be amazed at the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I hadn't had a chance to see Venus in its current morning glory up until now. At 4am this morning I woke up. The sky looked clear from my bed, so I got up to have a look. I had a look out my window and the first thing I saw was there on the horizon, a fabulously bright object. For an instant I thought it was it but then I immediately realised it was Sirius as I took in the whole sky. I then of course looked up to Orion, which looked absolutely glorious. Of course it is the best constellation in our night skies. It was a really clear night and I looked at it and could see so much detail. I looked up above it and saw Mars too.

Venus was not visible from my window, so soon after I went back to bed. I woke again just after 6:30am and immediately got up to have another look out. This time Venus was visible, looking very bright of course. I got my binoculars and had a closer look. I then had a look at Orion's nebula. Then I went back to bed and I got a couple of more hours of sleep.

I didn't sleep right through the night, but those two interruptions to my sleep were well worth it. Once there are no clouds, the night sky never disappoints. With the best constellation on view, and in the coming months at more sociable hours, it is one thing to look forward to as we head into the long dark nights of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mozwerk

Hi all

Would really appreciate some help in purchasing a telescope. It's for my Dad's 60th( but I reckon I will use it just as much)......Im presuming eBay is the way to go over buying one in Dublin, can you conform this??Also any recommendations on what type to get would be great, want to spend in the region of 150 euro......

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well apparently, The astronomy ireland shop will match internet prices.. though that would be for shops and not Ebay as such.
    Im not sure how much truth is in that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

mozwerk wrote: »
    Hi all

Would really appreciate some help in purchasing a telescope. It's for my Dad's 60th( but I reckon I will use it just as much)......Im presuming eBay is the way to go over buying one in Dublin, can you conform this??Also any recommendations on what type to get would be great, want to spend in the region of 150 euro......

Thanks

Do a search on previous posts, I would highly recommend
    Andy McCrea
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/northdown/

• Advertisement
Advertisement