Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds, how can you really tell?

Options
  • 05-10-2007 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi i want to ask a question on my BB from eircom, on what speed you're actually getting?

I get 100.0Mbps & my brother has 3usb broadband in an area that wont get enabled for prob 2yr (eircom said to him Jan 08-pull the other one) It was marketed at 3.6Mbps & said it was the quickest in Ireland, am i missing something?

I live 2m from exchange, my brother lives in the next town but 20m from that exchange & had to go with 3 as it said 85% coverage-was the clincher for him as there was no other choice.

Thanks-for any advice given, as im new to these things relating to speed, eg Mb/MB/Mbps.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

standbyme wrote:
    I get 100.0Mbps

No your not, this is telling you the speed of your ethernet network card, not the speed of your BB connection.

You can test your speed here:
    http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

It won't give you a prefect result, but it will be close.

BTW 3's 3.6mbps BB is far from the fastest in Ireland, even if you did get anywhere close to 3.6mb.

For instance NTL/Chorus offer 6mb/s BB, Eircom offer 5mb/s business BB, Smart offer 7mb/s BB and both Smart and Magnet offer >10mb/s BB in thier fibre connected areas.

With 3 in reality you rarely get much higher then dial-up speeds, while with the other mentioned above you usually get what is advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

LOTS of ISPs offer more than 3.6Mbps.
    Also the 3.6Mbps is shared between all users in a sector. So if there are 10 users you may get less than 300kbps. It also varies with signal level. The "proper" Fixed Wireless ISPs give the same speed no matter what your signal is.

You might not even get connected.

All the DSL, Cable and most Licenced Wireless band ISPs, it is really always connected and the basic packages are much better that typical 3G/HSDPA phone network performance.

Advertisement