Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daytime fox calling info

• 05-10-2007 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have had my first rifle a .17HMR marlin for about 5 mounths now and have had great success with it lamping fox and calling but no matter how hard i try i just cant call fox out of likely looking areas where i know they are during daytime.Any tips would be a real help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have done this and had limited success mainly with cubs and in winter months.
    1. do it at dawn and dusk (best time) or early morning late evening
    2. Identify known fox area
    3. watch the direction of the wind,
    3. good cammo, no vehicles
    4. Try an area where you've good visibility 360' a fox tends to circle his way into the call. One year I was calling and nothing glanced over my shoulder into the field behind me and there charlie was looking at me. I lie in the middle of the field (invest in a cammo net)
    5. Use a dummy with rabbit skin on it an put it out 100meters or so.

If you can get a jumpy kids toy all the better as they'lsee the fur bouncing and hear it squeeling.

One year I put dead rabbits around a known spot, and after two weeks of feeding waited one morning. They don't like to venture too far from their den so if you try that keep the rabbits close. Instead of driving and lamping try going into a field and sitting at night, did it one night and got 4 foxes they come for miles

Advertisement