Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortoise Husbandary, Advice welcomed.

Options
  • 05-10-2007 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've got two African spurred thighed torts about 5 & 6 year old, (both male) I keep them seperated because the bigger guy is quite aggressive towards the smaller one. Jones (big guy) has the run of the downstairs of my home, with a heat lamp, heat pad and a full spectrum light readily available to him, Smiff has the same setup but in a viv (doors left open). I feed them a mixture of mostly veg and a little fruit as a treat, usually apple and very occasionaly strawberry or grape. I bathe them in tepid water every couple of days. I also have an outdoor area where I grow lettuce and herbs, They go out there in summer. (Irish weather permitting)
    I would love to see photos of other tort keepers setups, especially tort tables as I need to set one up for Smiff to give him more space.
    At the moment I'm using Woodies organic cat litter as a substrate for Smiff and that works really well because it holds the heat and absorbs any moisture, but I'd like to know if theres a better substrate available.
    Any suggestions or advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Here's a quick photo of my Hermanns setup, will post up a better one when I find one and have the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

i wouldn't feed them any fruit or veg as these will kill your g.sulcata they only eat dried grasses and hay. about the substrate i would use newspaper. these torts will also need vitamins dusted on their food. bath them weekly and give them a drink every 1 to 2 weeks.

Advertisement