Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from south east

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think thats what his plan was, but nothing ever came of it. I think its the best way. A Waterford mod should really only mod his own forum and not take much notice of Wexford (when it comes to mod duties - in my opinion).

Posts like that are a bit unusal, but proably didnt pick the best forum as the South East part was always quiet. People stuck to their own forum and never looked below it. Kinda like Waterford City & County. Plus those who were suggested seem to be away. At least, I know one is away from the country. I think it was also mainly Waterford mods that were suggested at that time.

The CMOD should oversee the general running of each forum, and step in when needed.

As iv said, this was discussed very recently and it looked like something was being done but the admins didnt act on it for some reason. At least, for the Waterford forum anyway..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sully for mod!

(I have a very strong sense of déja vu...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Haven't we all, Faith, haven't we all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I cant see anything happening anytime soon.. this has been brought up a number of times and we have had this convo a few times now and arah, nothing! :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Have the SMods got the power to make people mods? Given how busy the admins have been recently, it might be good if the smods could help out a bit. I can think of at least one other forum with several inactive mods.

• Advertisement

Afaik, just the admins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Faith wrote:
    Sully for mod!

(I have a very strong sense of déja vu...)

I thinks thats what was being suggested way back. Makes sense though. The dude lives in there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

We don't have the power to add mods. I'll try and catch an admin to get this pushed through.

Nothing happening with approving/rejecting fora either.

Poker (as one example that comes to mind) and vanity private fora are created, quietly, and seemingly with ease, (what's pban?) while some excellent (and of course not so excellent ;)) suggestions languish unloved and unactioned on the Forums forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

probably because private forums are easier to manage, as they are limited membership, while public ones need a lot of work and thought

pban is a sekrit

• Advertisement

The forum suggestions I've been referring to have been in hiatus for months, for or against, they have been well thrashed out by the boards community by now, and await a final admin decision.

If people can have fora approved over a few jars in the local, what's the point of Forum No. 461?

The almost instantaneous and surreptitious creation of some boards, while others go unresolved, and existing fora are left without active moderation for the already busy SMods to patrol, is not encouraging.

Whatever pban is, trumpeting its secrecy has little relevance to the discussion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Roundy, AFAIK and I'm open to correction here, if a current mod suggests a forum then it is generally implemented quick enough as the proposer has been deemed to be responsible enough to look after the day-to-day running of a forum.

Now, if a non-mod proposes a forum then more work has to go into it, causing a bit of a delay. This may or may not be the cause of the back log in 'forums' at the minute but it might provide a bit of an insight into selective implementation of some fora.

It's accepted the admins are busy and Dev has said that a forum clean-up is imminent.

Some have been hanging round here for ages, some get passed through quickly. I'm not sure why. Unless some of the proposed fora were to be private, but have a large membership/ hmod presence? and with a large number of posters, surely the forum will get made public pretty quickly?

The admins are indeed very busy, same with the s-mods, and there are a heck of a lot of mods here now,maybe an upgrade for a-mods, so they can thread ban, and so remove some of the pressure?

Some good points there Mr. Mag.

At a glance, the split of forum requests appears to be 70/30 in favour of registered users. It seems that created/rejected fora have not been moved into the subfora, which skews my initial impression slightly.

That said, there's a helluva lot of outstanding stuff there, some of which have attracted over 200 contributions. On the face of it, it's hard to discern a bias in favour of existing moderator suggestions, but if DeV posted something to that effect outside of a mod forum, I wouldn't mind seeing a link to it, if you have it to hand :)

Hang on there, while I whip out my soapbox...

I suppose what I'm getting at is this. No one can dispute that the admins have busy lives. I don't know what they do for a living (except regi!), but I presume they are all gainfully employed, perhaps with young families in one or two cases.Without wishing to preempt what they may wish to add, at this stage, boards has been with them for ten years man and boy, and has moved from a hobby pursuit to something beyond what anyone may have expected, with inherent overheads, both time and financial.

To use a (loose) analogy, the baby's all growed up now, and is looking for new soccer kit, dora dolls, lifts to school/soccer/ballet, and Sony PSPs. Bottle, burp,and bed just doesn't cut it anymore. Ahead lie the joys of college fees, house deposits, wedding expenses, and grandchildren aplenty.

I love this site (don't we all?), and am eternally grateful that the lads stuck with it in the early years.

Boards is IMO in need of something more now. I realise that a permanent paid staff member is in the pipeline, which after years of what is essentially a rather large voluntary effort, must be a heady prospect.

It was said by an admin once (DeV?) that the SMods were the best decision they ever made. I couldn't agree more. Day in, day out, they deal admirably with mod queries, spam deletion, advice, and a raft of other little things that keep this site alive, and do so with aplomb, good humour, and infinite modesty. I think personally that one of the greatest assets this site has is its culture of self management, from conscientious users all the way up the line through mods, Cmods etc.

If the admins cannot dedicate the time the site merits to make top level decisions themselves, perhaps the option of elevating some or all of the SMods, should they wish it, to admin level authority should be considered? This is not a situation that is going to go away.

Obviously this is a notion that bears considerable scrutiny, first of all, the assent of the people involved, the probable necessity of renumeration of some kind, what their extended duties would entail (authority to create/delete fora, appoint mods, database control etc. is all I'm thinking of here), and other things I may have forgotten/am not privy to, not least the leap of faith required by the admins to hand over the reins to others (they did this to a lesser degree before, with the creation of the Smod category in the first place).

To allow a chosen few highly trusted people (and friends) to deal with the last few ongoing day to day duties of running a bulletin board of this size does not seem to me to be an impossible option, and need not constitute a total relinquishment of control of the asylum, to the lunatics.

/steps down, shuffles off stage...

The admins are indeed very busy, same with the s-mods, and there are a heck of a lot of mods here now,maybe an upgrade for a-mods, so they can thread ban, and so remove some of the pressure?

Amods have nothing to do with this issue, their admin functions are a necessary side effect of the shortcomings of the existing adverts software.

True as that is, there remains the possibility they could get forums etc to mind, and so relieve some of the pressure on the s-mods and admin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm pretty sure that most of the amods, mod a forum or two here as well.

That's right, AC. I think only two or so don't.

More mods, or the same number of mods modding more fora is not the issue here (while it remains a part of the big picture). We can't get mods existing or otherwise allocated as it is, which was the original deviation this thread took.

Again, Amods, myself included are not part of the issue, or the solution to same. I don't know why you keep bringing them up.

Cause there should be more people with similar abilities to create/ delete fora then admin

and I don't know any s-mods offline, but I know a few a-mods

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You made a lot of good points above about giving smods more power. You say that one of the admins said that creating the smods was the best decision they've ever made. Now while I wasn't around before the smods were created, I can only imagine what it would be like without them and that isn't a pretty picture. They are an invaluable service to the site and do a great job.

Maybe giving them the powers to create forums and make people mods is a good idea. I think it is definitely something the admins should look into. If this is done then the admins should appoint a few more smods to help with the extra workload.

• Advertisement

Pretty-in-Pink:

Umm, quite.

That was one of the core points of my post above...

The fact remains that Smods are tasked with greater responsibility than Amods under the hierarchy of this site, ergo they are the natural choice, in my mind.

Now if an admin were to make a judgement call, based in part or in full on how well they know someone IRL, that is a different thing entirely.

AC:

Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel and it's been discussed before. Maybe it was even mooted to an SMod or two and they declined. Basically, the admins did all the SMod stuff to the best of my knowledge, which must have been, even when the site was smaller a big ask on their time...

I'd love to hear what they have to say about this.

Courtesy of amp:

devandtheadmins.gif

ok, so RM, we are kind of agreeing to agree
    (didn't know s were above a, and as thats the case then it makes sense for them to hav more power- should they want it)

Indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Some good points there Mr. Mag.

That said, there's a helluva lot of outstanding stuff there, some of which have attracted over 200 contributions. On the face of it, it's hard to discern a bias in favour of existing moderator suggestions, but if DeV posted something to that effect outside of a mod forum, I wouldn't mind seeing a link to it, if you have it to hand :)

TBTH I can't remember where I read it Roundy. If I find it I'll send you on a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I support the sully for south east mod campaign

Is there any way for me to get unbanned though?

S-Mods can unban you I think.

Ask one nicely.

Is there a campaign? o_O

There are at least two in this thread alone.

Not really a campaign, more a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Classic :D

You can wipe your tongue now again. ;)

Advertisement