Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old bands - you've made your money now go away

Options
  • 05-10-2007 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

I think its a shame young promising bands don't get a chance cos the gig circuit and airwaves are being clogged up by oldie reformations.
    I love led zep, but why does anyone give a f|_|ck about them doing a gig? They're old and well past they're sell by date - They're never going to sound as good as they did back in the seventies. The same goes for other reforms. eg. The Who, The Kinks.
    The best gigs are done by young(ish) bands who have nothing to lose but everything to prove. They need to give a good gig so that its likely you will go see them again. Led zep don't need to do that, jimmy page could give a harmonica concerto in timbuktu and it would sell out - I think the only reason some of these reforms. are successful is cos so all these losers can go
    around saying ''yeah i saw led zep''.
    Brian Wilson of the Beach boys- prime example - a fantastic musician in his day, but he can barely sing anymore (let alone stand up properly) and yet he's still selling out gigs everywhere, whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

My personal opinion is your talking out your a**e!!!!whether its a 60 year old band in a stadium or a bunch of 17 yr olds in a crap pub people will go to see them if they like them and are good!!!The likes of Led Zep and The Who etc show just as much appetite for performing when they reform as new bands do and ive never heard of these reformed bands getting a bad review or said to be going through the motions just cuz they have done it all before in the 70's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

IMHO I'm fed up of old bands reforming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Dozyart wrote:
    My personal opinion is your talking out your a**e!!!!whether its a 60 year old band in a stadium or a bunch of 17 yr olds in a crap pub people will go to see them if they like them and are good!!!The likes of Led Zep and The Who etc show just as much appetite for performing when they reform as new bands do and ive never heard of these reformed bands getting a bad review or said to be going through the motions just cuz they have done it all before in the 70's!!

They don't get bad reviews cos the music journos reviewing them want to get an interview in with the band, they're not going to get one if they give a bad review. Most music journos are going to be biased cos its quite likely they like the band in the first place - hence the reason they chose to review the the concert.
    "Show just as much appetite"- how do you know? did you see them when they first came out so that you can make a proper comparison? - i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i dont think your point is that valid to be honest...take the police for example, they are playing in Croke Park on saturday-its not as if they are taking up space on the gig circuit that another band would be playing the venue if they weren't, they are THE POLICE, they are playing an 80,000 capacity venue,realistically no young up and coming band/out to prove something will be affected by their gig being on.

If ya dont like the idea of bands reforming, dont go to see them, but dont give them stick for doing it, fair ****s i say :)

Croke Park may not be a venue where young bands can make a mark, but who headlined Glastonbury this year? It was the who, they don't need to be playing festivals.

Record companies got lazy and couldn't be bothered looking for new music, so they started to re-release everything under the sun, its not bad music- but it is old. The fact remains that it isn't entirely fair that old reformed bands can go on stage and give a sub-standard performance, which will be called brilliant by all their die-hard fans (fans who are to old to remember what a good gig is). Whilst at the same time young hard-working bands don't get a look in. Headbanging and zimmerframes don't mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If there were any good bands around who could compare with Led Zep, The Police or the Who in their prime nobody would be interested in reunions.

If there were any good bands around who could compare with Led Zep, The Police or the Who in their prime nobody would be interested in reunions.

But even if there were bands around who were as good as this they wouldn't be acknowledged cos they would be overshadowed by crappy reunions. Isn't music meant to evolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Croke Park may not be a venue where young bands can make a mark, but who headlined Glastonbury this year? It was the who, they don't need to be playing festivals.

Record companies got lazy and couldn't be bothered looking for new music, so they started to re-release everything under the sun, its not bad music- but it is old. The fact remains that it isn't entirely fair that old reformed bands can go on stage and give a sub-standard performance, which will be called brilliant by all their die-hard fans (fans who are to old to remember what a good gig is). Whilst at the same time young hard-working bands don't get a look in. Headbanging and zimmerframes don't mix.

Mainly because a lot of the "hard working young bands" that you probably have in mind don't have an original idea to rub together. Examples that spring to mind for me being Franz Ferdinand and Editors, who quite frankly strike me as blatant Joy Division ripoffs. I do see your point, but new music seems to be a thing of the past as everything has been done to death by this point.

And yeah, classic bands shouldn't reform, hand the stages over to the next X-Factor winner. Sounds like a good plan to me! ;)

VR!

Isn't music meant to evolve?

I ask myself that same question when either some classic is badly covered or is sampled with some idiot rapping all over it!

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

All these famous bands were unknowns at one time and worked their way up the "ladder of fame". If there is an audience (zimmerframers or headbangers !!) for them reforming, then why not ? Personally I wont be going to any of the gigs, but what's wrong with having the choice ?

When was the music industry ever fair :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When Rock and Roll was invented and groups formed it was generaly assumed that a RnR would last about 2-3 years and any musicians still standing would have to get a proper job. That mentality pursisted until someone realised that artists were not ALL dying and that fans were not 'growing' out of the music.

We are where we are cos the public like those acts that formed in a previous era. That said I could happily do without the Spice Girls return.

There is a serious discussion to be had about the way the industry preferes to milk established names rather than spend money breaking new talent (a mentailty which will bite them in the ass at some point proberly).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

What a load of mince.

I suspect Klaus has a particular axe to grind. Is he in a band that's getting nowhere? Are his mates? Or is his latest favourite band not getting the recognition he feels they deserve?

Cream always rises to the top.
    As said above, all the veteran bands touring now had to slog through against the bigger names of the day.
    Almost a million people in Europe went to see Genesis this summer. A similar number will see the Police. The Who headline Glastonbury cos the promoter knows people want to see them.

If new bands can't make a dent in the radio playlists because of veteran bands, that says a lot more about the quality of the new bands.

Most mature people like music because it's good, not just because it's new.

They were all new bands at some point. If they're good enough, they'll make it. Why should the audience be censored from listening to alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

big b wrote:

Yeah ! and they also reformed recently and did a few gigs :D

big b wrote:
    As said above, all the veteran bands touring now had to slog through against the bigger names of the day.
    Almost a million people in Europe went to see Genesis this summer. A similar number will see the Police. The Who headline Glastonbury cos the promoter knows people want to see them.

Bear in mind that the Police broke up in 1986 (with the guts of 18 months of inactivity before that). Now think about how many people who were only kids that year (like myself) or who weren't even born but went through their parents collection, put on their stuff and got into them.

The whole "born too late" syndrome hits a lot of people when it comes to veteran artists. I for one have been looking forward to the Police reunion for over two decades and can't wait for the concert tomorrow. How they'll sound is a matter of opinion. I heard the gig from MSG in August this year and i personally thought it sounded great (and they considered that to be one of their worst gigs on the tour!).

So the likes of Cream, The Police, Zeppelin, etc will get bigger venues just based on that alone. You can also throw Genesis into that list (especially if they get Gabriel back on vocals). I'm sure Klaus won't be too happy about it, but i'm damned if i give a crap!

VR!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

big b wrote:

Yeah well i say, **** floats. (JC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Bruce Springsteen or Snow Patrol? Put it that way ;)

Driver 8 wrote:
    Bruce Springsteen or Snow Patrol? Put it that way ;)

Springsteen in a heartbeat. If i wan't music to slash my wrists to, i'll go and see My Chemical Romance :P

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

My Chemical Romance :P

VR!
    :eek: Puke! PUKE!!! :confused: I think if the young bands were good enough they'd pass them out! But they're not, so get over it! :rolleyes: Look at it this way...
    The Killers or Bruce Springsteen?
    Franz Ferdinand or Happy Mondays?
    The Frames or Van Halen (w/ Roth)?
    The Editors or The Who?
    Pete Doherty (arsehole) or Led Zeppelin?
    Orson or Brian Wilson (the Beach Boys)?

I presume most of the answers would be the old ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Another thing about new bands is how they're not so much imitators as photocopies of their "inspirations"

Interpol/Editors= Joy Division
    Killers second album= Born to Run
    Justin Timberlake's current album= 80's Prince
    Johnny Borrell-Bob Geldof ;)
    James Blunt= Satan (loved his early stuff...Satan, not Blunt)
    Coldplay/Snow Patrol/Keane-Bends era Radiohead/ U2

Yeah I'm a fan of Joy Division, but I don't like the Editors at all! And I don't know who Interpol are...

• Advertisement

I suspect Klaus has a particular axe to grind. Is he in a band that's getting nowhere?-quote

I think about half the people that visit this site are in bands that are going nowhere, but thats not the point.
    Alot of people seem to be saying ''isn't it good that you have a choice to go and see these bands?'' - but you aren't able to go and see these bands, what you get is a reformed band in their old age playing sub-standard versions of their own work. Why would anyone be excited about that?

Lets call a spade a spade here- Led Zep will not sound the way they did back in the 70s, Bruce Springsteen doesn't have the voice he once had and the fact that there has been so much interest in these reformations has meant that radio guys and record companies have gone around looking for 70s rock clones rather than searching out good new music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

Klaus I take it you've seen an old band perform live and were disappointed.

I've seen quite a few "70's" or "80's" bands perform their classic songs live, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Simply put, most music that's around today just doesn't cut it. Firstly, you have to look very long and hard to find a musician nowadays who can actually play his or her instrument properly. Secondly, as somebody said, everything has been done before, and done very well. What should music 'evolve' into next? Morse code? Who says there must be a constant change? Quality is quality.

I'd still choose seeing a good, classic band live over ANY of the sh1te that's around at the moment.

I suspect Klaus has a particular axe to grind. Is he in a band that's getting nowhere?-quote

I think about half the people that visit this site are in bands that are going nowhere, but thats not the point.
    Alot of people seem to be saying ''isn't it good that you have a choice to go and see these bands?'' - but you aren't able to go and see these bands, what you get is a reformed band in their old age playing sub-standard versions of their own work. Why would anyone be excited about that?
    Probably because the sub-standard version of their songs are better then the best version of the young bands' songs. My point here is that young bands nowadays are shíte!

''Everything has been done to death''- thats what everyone said before punk happened and even before grunge started, theres always room for innovation.
    Trying to resurrect bands from 30 years ago isn't going to make music better. Theres a fashion trend at the moment to pretend its the 70s and 80s again - thats the reason so many of these bands are reforming; regardless of whether or not they were any good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The fact that you think all bands have reformed for the same reason is your first mistake. Personally i was delighted to hear Kerbdog and Whipping boy play last year, gigs of the year in my opinion. I seriously doubt that these two bands made buckets loads of cash from this or i doubt they made any new fans either. So what was their motivation for doing it???

Granted some may not sound as good now as they did then but you say bruce srpingsteen doesn't sound as good now. To me that's wrong, he sounds as good now as he always has. I think some of the older tracks sound better than they originally did.

Same for The Police and Genesis! They sound damn good after their recent hiatuses Klaus. Youtube search their recent stuff before coming out with sweeping statements like the ones you've come out with. Because right now you just sound like you have an axe to grind because your fave band isn't getting the recognition you think they deserve.

VR!

lordgoat wrote:
    The fact that you think all bands have reformed for the same reason is your first mistake. Personally i was delighted to hear Kerbdog and Whipping boy play last year, gigs of the year in my opinion. I seriously doubt that these two bands made buckets loads of cash from this or i doubt they made any new fans either. So what was their motivation for doing it???

Granted some may not sound as good now as they did then but you say bruce srpingsteen doesn't sound as good now. To me that's wrong, he sounds as good now as he always has. I think some of the older tracks sound better than they originally did.

Kerbdog and Whipping boy are a far cry from Led zeppelin and the Police, and besides, Kerbdog aren't that old. But I doubt they were broke after doing the gig. Its not that i don't like many of these classic rock bands, Zeplin,Purple,Maiden- they're all great bands; but I certainly wouldn't pay over 120.00EUR for a ticket. There are plenty of great guitarists around, but - like i said before - people are more interested in seeing jimmy page (who didn't pick up a guitar for 4 years after Ledzep finished, and as a result never regained his previous standard) crank out old stuff rather than hear a new young brilliant guitarist (rodrigez et gabriella for example). Fact is these days Led Zeppelin is a brand- people say they like them and buy tickets to their gigs just so they can claim to be rock fans.

I've seen the Happy Mondays 2 weeks ago... and my god, it was class! Nothing like seeing Shaun Ryder dressed up as a British gangster & Bez dancing like a mad man! And if Genisis are playing Ireland... hold me back! :D I also went to see Ozzy and I've no regrets at all. If it wasn't for old bands and singers, I wouldn't be going to concerts! Thats how useless these new bands are nowadays. I can't believe your defending the likes of them bands for something they don't deserve! :rolleyes:

Fact is these days Led Zeppelin is a brand- people say they like them and buy tickets to their gigs just so they can claim to be rock fans.

What utter rot! Zeppelin ended in 1980. That's 27 years ago, now think about how many people were either too young to see them live or weren't born that would jump at the chance to see them now? Or had that thought even crossed your mind?

As for your Rodrigo y Gabriella theory, more rot as anytime they have played over here, they have never failed in selling out their venues.

VR!

• Advertisement

What utter rot! Zeppelin ended in 1980. That's 27 years ago, now think about how many people were either too young to see them live or weren't born that would jump at the chance to see them now? Or had that thought even crossed your mind?

As for your Rodrigo y Gabriella theory, more rot as anytime they have played over here, they have never failed in selling out their venues.

VR![/QUOTE

Many of those kids are going to see Led Zep cos they're being told that Zeplin are a great band, they're not discovering it for themselves. They're being handed 'best bands ever' lists by magazines and treating them like gospel, even though those lists are drawn up by record labels trying to promote their latest batch of rereleases. Music is meant to be a journey, not a list of bands you're 'supposed' to listen to, just so millionaires like Robert Plant can put more money in their account.

The Who singing 'My Generation' when they're 60 - gimme a f**kin break.

Advertisement