Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'No Junk Mail'

Options
  • 05-10-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

We've been getting a lot of junk mail lately.

The same stuff seems to arrive in all the time.

Chinese / Pizza / Whatever food is currently popular.
    Ads for 'iron your shirts', yoga classes, 'sell you house'

Now my question is, I've just put up a 'No Junk Mail' sign on the letterbox.

Does this entitle me to, upon seeing someone put junkmail in my mailbox, beat the everloving poop out of them?

Have people ever noticed an improvement when they put the sign up?

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Deffo. It's cut down our junk mail by 90%, the only flyers we get now are the ones for the clothing collections, and I just bin the stickers or use the bags as rubbish bags.

If you get junk mail despite the sticker, take the flyer and post it back to the company WITHOUT putting a stamp on it. I include a note that says "please respect our clearly signaled wish not to have junk mail delivered. Please raise this with your distribution agent if necessary".

An Post will send them a note saying there is a package to be collected, they'll have to send someone to the sorting office and pay to get their flyer back - it's a good incentive.

I wouldn't advise abusing distributors etc directly, apart from them only doing a job, most of the time they are around your house, you're in work, so better not to risk it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The problem with putting up a "No Junk Mail" note is that many of the people who deliver are foriegn nationals who can't read English.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wait till you get some junk mail that includes a pre-paid envelope.

then put all your other junk mail into it and send it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The problem with putting up a "No Junk Mail" note is that many of the people who deliver are foriegn nationals who can't read English.

That is perfectly right and they are probably only earning a pittance to do the job which is why there is no point in blaming them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

loyatemu wrote: »
    wait till you get some junk mail that includes a pre-paid envelope.

then put all your other junk mail into it and send it off.
    very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

We put one up and it worked to a certain extent. There are some people who'll just put junk mail through the letterbox anyway for whatever reason. There's no harm in sticking a sign up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had this problem when I lived in Walkinstown (D12). The muppets that were delivering the crap couldn't speak a word of english. They did get the message after a couple of threats and it was amazing how well their english improved during the altercations.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mathie wrote: »
    Does this entitle me to, upon seeing someone put junkmail in my mailbox, beat the everloving poop out of them?
    No. But there are lots of options above.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I did the leaflet round, it would work out (before the euro) to range from 1p to 1.4p per leaflet. From 800 houses, I'd get somewhere between £8 and £20, depending on the amount of leaflets/shampoo products that I had to distribute.

Delivering the phone directories was fun :D:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

God.. I can relate; junk mail drives me mad. Why do they bother? All they're doing is feeding my recycle bin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    That is perfectly right and they are probably only earning a pittance to do the job which is why there is no point in blaming them.

Theres no point blaming the person whos ignoring the sign and putting it in your letterbox? It's either their fault or the leader of their evil organiseation that sits in his big office stroking his beard telling them to make sure they get the guy that puts up the sign. I know who I'm more likely to blame.
    seahorse wrote: »
    God.. I can relate; junk mail drives me mad. Why do they bother? All they're doing is feeding my recycle bin...

If it wasn't for these guy I wouldn't have a Domino's or PHQ menu. These guys aid in ,e getting fed, therefore they are there for the good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Stekelly wrote: »
    If it wasn't for these guy I wouldn't have a Domino's or PHQ menu.

Why not? Or am I the only person who rings 11811 and asks the takeaway to stick a menu in with the food??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Why not? Or am I the only person who rings 11811 and asks the takeaway to stick a menu in with the food??

undoubtedly, and how can you order food without a menu? esp. the special offers which can save you 50% or more at times.

They're a necessary evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

11811 calls cost 89.59c for the first 30 secs and 0.4c for each additional second.
    Obviously better than a free leaflet in your door.

You could try 1-800-I'M-A-SAP. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Lads, FFS, if a few unwanted leaflets dropping in your letterbox is all you have to complain about...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Duckjob wrote: »
    Lads, FFS, if a few unwanted leaflets dropping in your letterbox is all you have to complain about...

Where do I start?

Is it the breach of a private residents wish?
    Is it the fact that we have enough problems with the environment not to add a bin load of unused / unwanted leaflets to a recycle truck every month?

It's these small steps that add up when everyone joins together.
    If everyone just accepts junkmail and throws it in the recycle bin - while I acknowledge it's very little effort putting a leaflet in the bin - it'd benefit the environment if that step was removed.

http://www.onesmallstep.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Junk mail is so annoying. The illegal charity collection stickers really annoy me. I just put it all straight into the green bin. Was half afraid putting up a No Junk Mail sign would just cause more junk mail from kids messing etc.

I was recently away for two weeks and when I came back I could fill a shopping bag with the amount of junk mail in my hall.

Menu's and special offers I can get from the internet or previous deliveries.

Weyhey wrote: »
    The illegal charity collection stickers really annoy me.
    Actually, they're totally legal. They have a waste collection license (damn easy & cheap to get, it would seem), and with this they can collect anything you give to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

the_syco wrote: »
    Actually, they're totally legal. They have a waste collection license (damn easy & cheap to get, it would seem), and with this they can collect anything you give to them.

I remember watching something on tv last year giving out about these. The article said in most cases the charities they mentioned didn't exist and that the clothes could be sold off or dumped if not wanted. They said legal charity shops were losing out on huge amounts of donated clothes because of them.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Tip_Of_The_Week/Tips_Archive/Bogus_charity_bag_collections.html

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theafternoonshow/1133508.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

I'm selling No Junk Mail stickers. Am i allowed to post up a link on here? If not send me a pm

• Advertisement

jonnycwh wrote: »
    I'm selling No Junk Mail stickers. Am i allowed to post up a link on here? If not send me a pm
    No. Please email hello@boards.ie if you wish to discuss advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jonnycwh wrote: »

NO-JUNK-MAIL-9076.jpg

A printer and a bit of sellotape is all you need.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No- you are not allowed sell things like that here.
    Regards,

The_Conductor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

KTRIC wrote: »
    I had this problem when I lived in Walkinstown (D12). The muppets that were delivering the crap couldn't speak a word of english. They did get the message after a couple of threats and it was amazing how well their english improved during the altercations.

Would you be so brave with the rubbish T.D.s you have sent to Dail Eireann?
    It's easy threaten so poor immigrant trying to make a living.
    Typical Irish. Target your anger at the weaker person and let the powerful walk over you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

Yes i got your warning message. Calm down calm down... i haven't posted anything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement