Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the best way to replace warrantied console - support or retailer?

• 05-10-2007 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice for those who have gone through return/repair process with their still in warranty xbox360s or who work in a retail store and have experience with this sort of thing. The problem is not RROD, it is a persistent problem that only occurs with Halo 3 (the DRE issue) but that definitely points to a problem with the console as the discs that cause the problem work perfectly well in a different machine.

Is it better to return it to the shop where it was bought or go through MS support? The console was purchased last December as a present, but I believe it was bought in Xtravision from the bundle (and I'm told the receipt is safe). If I walk into the store and explain the problem, will they replace it then and there or does it basically go through the same process as if I send it off to MS and I wait for it either to be repaired or replaced? If that is the case perhaps I'm better off just skipping the middle man to save time?

If I do either, I assume I have to send in everything. What is the best thing to do with profiles and saves. I know DLC can be re-downloaded, but should I get a memory unit and save my xbox live profile to it - do saves have to be saved separately to the MU? Should I then format the HDD?

Any advice from past experience would be great, especially if there is anything I've overlooked. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

if its not the RROD then your retailer should replace\repair the problem. I wouldn't give in your hard drive just the main unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

take it back to the shop with the receipt for a replacment as it's still covered . have a nice chat about it and swap your old hard drive onto the new 360 and the new hard drive onto the old broken 360 , that way you still have all your data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah go to the shop, they should replace it for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No retailers will replace it, you will have to go through MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Melion wrote:
    No retailers will replace it, you will have to go through MS

no he won't , once he has the receipt and it's under 12 months old he is well within his rights to bring it back to the shop for a new 360.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My 360 started freezing 11 months after buying it. I returned it to the store and they replaced it without question.

Definately the way to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mine was in warranty, had my receipt and i was told i had to go through MS. I rang them, asked if the store had to replace it, the person at MS told me that they had to take it back to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I never replace them after 28 days I tell them to ring MS, like I've had to do twice..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Clover wrote:
    no he won't , once he has the receipt and it's under 12 months old he is well within his rights to bring it back to the shop for a new 360.

Or a repair. At the retailers discretion. Normally it's a replacement within the first month. After that they'll probably get it repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. It seems reasonable that a replacement only happens in the first month, and mine is way past that. I may as well contact MS Support directly. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Your contract of sale is with the retailer. Grow a pair and get them to sort it out. They will either replace it, or they will take care of the repair process. This is not something you *have* to do yourself.

@Flunkyflea, you passing the buck back to the consumer is part of the reason people need to ask these questions. The RETAILER must take care of the problem.

@OPGet a shoppers rights card, you can get them in most decent stores and any Gamestop store. They will help explain the basics and give you the direction of the small claims if you are not satisfied.

Good luck,
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Howard - Before this goes way off topic. You're kind of missing the point of the thread and jumping the gun a bit. I haven't had any trouble at all with the retailer. What I wanted to know was:
    If I walk into the store and explain the problem, will they replace it then and there or does it basically go through the same process as if I send it off to MS and I wait for it either to be repaired or replaced? If that is the case perhaps I'm better off just skipping the middle man to save time?

As it is older than a month, it is likely that the retailer will send it in for repair. I won't be able to get to the shop for at least a week, and their policy might be to ship boxes for repairs on a Friday (I don't know, but it's reasonable). If I was to get a replacement then and there - fine, but they are not obliged to do that. So by me sending it off on Monday or Tuesday I can save myself about two extra weeks before I get it back. Had I gone to the shop and they'd insisted that I send it back myself, that would be a different matter, but it is not the case here.

So, while I appreciate your advice, the pair I have are doing me fine, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

haha, fair enough F-Stop. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

How about ringing them and asking them?

Too obvious?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fr_dickbyrne

Sorry guys, quick question for those of you who have returned the box to MS for repair. When you got your UPS label, did you have to ring a UK number to arrange a pickup? Just got mine and seems straight that it is quoting a UK number. This could be the norm but just want to make sure.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sorry guys, quick question for those of you who have returned the box to MS for repair. When you got your UPS label, did you have to ring a UK number to arrange a pickup? Just got mine and seems straight that it is quoting a UK number. This could be the norm but just want to make sure.

Cheers

No think I rang the Dublin number and they collected in my job, and brought it back there too!

Find Locations

Cork
    Dublin
    Shannon

Cork

Units 8-10, East Gate Drive
    East Gate
    Little Island
    Cork
    Tel.: 1-800-57 57 57

Dublin

Unit 3 Mygan Business Park
    Jamestown Road
    Finglas
    Dublin 11

Mail Boxes Etc.
    2, The Park
    105 Lower Rathmines Road
    Dublin 6
    Tel.: 01-4912447

Shannon

Unit C2
    Smithstown Industrial Estate
    Shannon
    Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fr_dickbyrne

Cheers for that Fieldog. Will give the irish number a go, was just a bit weird sending me the uk number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I rang 1-800-575757

Also what did you guys pack your XBOX's in? The original box or did you pack in in protective wrapping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you contact Ms they'll send you a box AFAIK if you are sending it to them.

If going to a retailer, I'd use the packaging it came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mark360

i got mine replaced twice at retailer..no problem at all..the first one was after 7months..the second one was after 5months.

just make sure ya ring the retailer before ya bring it to them.
    they will replace it there and then...then at the end of the month they send all the broken consoles off to microsoft so they get there money back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement